Mystery illness for the past 2-3 years

wwm91

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 03:59 pm
Hi. I'm a 22 year old female, and I joined this forum because I've been sick for a while now, and I'm hoping to find some answers.

I think it was sometime in the year 2010 when I first started getting really sick. The symptoms would show up every 1-3 months, persist for a week or two, and then vanish almost as quickly as they started. Lately, it seems like I'm getting sick more frequently, and the symptoms also seem to be worsening. I tend to feel the worst in the evening, and especially at bedtime.

I don't know if it is medically relevant, but my mother was diagnosed with fibromyalgia about a year ago; however, her doctor isn't sure of the diagnosis. She has some of the same symptoms as me, but started developing them years before I did. She is now 41 years of age.

Somebody mentioned the possibility of Lyme, but I've never been bitten by a tick - as far as I know. (I seldom go outside.) And judging by what information I could find online, it just doesn't match. Another suggestion was lack of exercise. However, I get plenty of exercise when cleaning my grandparents' house (which I do every week), and the symptoms also seem to worsen the more I move around (especially the pain and swelling.)

Listed here is some of the stuff I experience the most whenever I get sick:

headache (often very severe)
tenderness in throat, esp. under my jaw
sensitivity to light and sound
blotchy pink rash on both cheeks
dry, itchy reddened eyes; feels like something stuck in them
swollen, dry, scaley eyelids with round, runny sores in the corners
painful, scabby sores in nose, esp. near the front
ulcers (canker sores?) in mouth
cold sores (fever blisters?) in the corners of my lips
dry mouth and throat (I stay very thirsty, even after drinking lots of water)
less appetite
weakness in arms and legs
muscle aches and tenderness - especially in arms, calves and inner thighs
painful muscle spasms in chest, and at random times
pain and tight feeling in chest, especially when breathing deep; sometimes it makes me cough
stiffness/soreness in knees, ankles, neck and shoulders - especially when I wake in the morning
swelling in knees and ankles
random fevers
anemia
intolerance to heat and cold (anything above 75 degrees, or below 60 degrees)
severe, long-lasting tiredness/weakness; sometimes, I can't even get out of bed
pain in sides (especially my right side)
occasionally: nausea, vomiting and severe stomach pain; usually lasts around 2-5 hours at a time
more recently: nasal congestion, sneezing and runny nose (this part has been going on for almost a month, and hasn't responded to any meds; I don't know if it's related to everything else)

I don't always have every symptom listed, but will usually have most of them during these episodes.

I've grown very frustrated and depressed over it. It's gotten to the point where I no longer want to go in public, because my face looks so bad, and it's
embarrassing. I also can't help but worry that some of it might all be in my head, especially since nobody else seems to notice or care. I desperately want answers, but I have a meager income and no medical insurance. Right now, I'm trying to save up enough money to see a doctor - even though I have no clue what kind of doctor I should see, or what I should ask them. Any and all answers are deeply appreciated. Thank you for your time.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 723 • Replies: 5
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 04:07 pm
@wwm91,
Everybody's going to tell you to see a doctor and I'll agree with them.

And I would ask about allergies and maybe see if you can get a referral to an immunologist - you've got swollen eyes and mouth sores and maybe throat swelling. That might not be all of it but it might be a part of it.

I also suspect you've got more than one thing going on. Best of luck in finding answers.
0 Replies

mugwort

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 09:18 pm
@wwm91,
I agree with the other poster you should be checked by your dr. And by an allergist. I would think at least some of your symptoms may be caused by vitamin or mineral deficiencies.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 09:27 pm
Get a doctor to run some blood tests, my tests a few years ago showed it was a borderline underactive thyroid that was making me feel cold, sluggish and tired.
0 Replies

wwm91

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 11:57 pm
@wwm91,
I've suffered from allergies since I was a child, but they have always responded to meds. Lately, I've tried taking several different brands of allergy medication, but none has taken any positive effect. My grandma once suggested that it might be a vitamin deficiency, so I started taking a regular multi-vitamin, along with an iron supplement. It's been a few months, and I haven't noticed any change. As stated before, I'm already planning to go and see a doctor.
Thank you for your answers.
jespah

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2013 06:11 am
@wwm91,
I hope you can find the answers you seek and, yes, a thyroid deficiency may be another issue. And that's really, really easy to control, BTW.
0 Replies