answer a philosophical / historical question

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 10:37 pm
How did the great philosophers answer the following question :"What is thought ? ".
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 991 • Replies: 8
No top replies

fresco

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 01:02 am
@oldmovieguy1,
"Great Philosophers" is a somewhat nebulous term and can be researched using Google.
Your question is covered by a large body of work termed "Philosophy of Mind". There are thousands of papers published on the subject.
But simplistically, philosophers tend to gravitate towards two poles on this.
1. The idealists who argue that there are only mental phenomena.
2. The reductionist/ materialists who argue that mental events can be reduced to physical processes.
In the middle ground you have the Cartesian dualists who argue that mental events and physical events are separate realms with no clear means of connection.
In addition there is the fundamental point that the word is in your question "What is thought" is itself a problematic concept (a product of thought), which some philosophers have tried to eliminate by use of a verb named "E-prime". Language has tended to replace mind as the focus for philosophy since the advent of psychology in the 20th. century.
fresco

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 02:02 am
@oldmovieguy1,
I should perhaps have added that if you do delve further into these issues you will find that your original question tends to dissipate when an ontological level of analysis is reached. (i.e. what does is-ness mean, or what does it mean to be anything).
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 11:42 am
@oldmovieguy1,
I don't know about the great philos, Guy, but to your Average Clod (me) thought is merely the circulation of electrons (and/or other charged particles) constituting certain consistent patterns in the brain or computer chip
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 12:44 pm
@fresco,
Nature works with a code, a set of rules, if you take mind out of the reasoning on the nature of reality, your position is barely distinguishable from the reductionists. Materialism is not a requisite in my arguments on the subject. The problem is you have done much more then asserting just this. You have tried to "explain" what is the proper place of language which is via/through minds without sufficiently justifying why "language" is not in nature at large itself. You speak of active mind process like "construction" to frame the scope of languaging. I personally don't see any difference from DNA code and linguistics. I also have a very poor idea on what "mind" means to convey. It is for all know purposes an obscure term.
Rules and exchange of information are more fit terms to explain language then Consciousness will ever be.
0 Replies

Jpsy

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2013 12:18 am
@fresco,
Quote:
1. The idealists who argue that there are only mental phenomena.
2. The reductionist/ materialists who argue that mental events can be reduced to physical processes.
In the middle ground you have the Cartesian dualists who argue that mental events and physical events are separate realms with no clear means of connection

Where do you stand on the particular issues you mentioned Fresco?
fresco

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2013 02:21 am
@Jpsy,
(The next paragraph above is more important for understanding my own viewpoint)

If I take a stand at all, I follow Wittgenstein in the view that all words including "thought" take their meaning from the context of their usage. Sometimes "thought" implies an ongoing process...sometimes a single concept...sometimes a mental event associated with a neural event...etc.
Thus the original question "what is thought" has been transcended in an investigation of the role of language in human interactions with each other and what they call "the world". On this, I tend to take a "systems approach" (following Maturana) which involves nested levels of analysis from the biological to the social.

0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2013 05:50 am
Just checking in.
0 Replies

void123

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 09:23 pm
@oldmovieguy1,
i can play guitar but cannot define guitar playing.

thought is cognition.
cognition is process of mind
0 Replies