• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,929 • Replies: 15
No top replies

XxSiCxX

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 05:54 pm
@saw038,
As a collection of memories piled one on top of another.
If you are looking for the labels I would use to describe myself, asshole at times perhaps even mildly creative asshole.
saw038

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 05:59 pm
@XxSiCxX,
I like your sense of self-deprecating humor! But, memories refer to things that have passed, so I mean, would mildly 'creative asshole' be the self that goes through the experiences and makes the decisions that then, consequently, allows them to become memories?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 06:14 pm
@saw038,
Avid world traveler.

*Have visited 85 countries.
saw038

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 06:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
That's a crazy amount! Just curious, which countries, if any, did you feel in danger? Also, what country provided you with the most unexpected surprise?

For example, maybe you had some bias towards a country and you were surprised once you experienced it firsthand.
XxSiCxX

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 06:27 pm
@saw038,
Haha I'm glad.
The mildly creative asshole that is now going through experiences is a culmination of past events and memories. He is constantly reshaped and redefined by both the world around him as well as the "beliefs" he keeps a hold of. Each change that has happened to help shape the person into the now cannot truly be measured as for trying to do even that adds new elements and acts of "self discovery". So the self is always changing and being redefined in someways.

In no way do I really feel that answers your question but it is my view and thought process.
saw038

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 06:36 pm
@XxSiCxX,
I proposed such a broad question, I appreciate your response. At that, you have provided a great one.

I really do believe the self is constantly being redefined and by doing so, it develops constantly to something new. I happen to like this view and think it is the most healthy way of viewing one self, of course, this is my opinion, however, I really think many issues people face is keeping a static view of one's self.

For example, I used to be a very good runner and could compete with some of the best. But, through injuries and age, I am no longer that person. But, if I kept believing myself to be the athlete I used to be, I would surely be setting myself up for continual disappointment.

I ramble, but your responses really resonate with me.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 07:18 pm
@saw038,
Never felt I was in danger in any country. Let me think about surprise; that's a word I wouldn't use.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2016 03:39 am
Invested in really understanding stuff. With no concessions to career, personal interest, social status quo, or academic consensus and political games, or whatever fools gold people normally settle for. Thinking has led me to the edge of the abism close enough to get scared. I still keep marching forward...above any personal traits this is what I am !
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2016 01:28 pm
@saw038,
Quote:
Also, what country provided you with the most unexpected surprise?

I'm going to say Germany, and Berlin in particular, because of the reconstruction of that city after WWII. The allies completely destroyed Berlin, and it was in complete rubble.

The first time I visited Berlin, they were just beginning their reconstruction work, and had large paintings hung on the buildings to show how it will look like after they have been rebuilt. I remember my hotel in East Berlin, and my room looked towards the tv tower. I visited the tv tower on that visit,and again when I returned many years later after the reconstruction of the city was completed. The clock at the foot of the tower was no longer there on my second visit. Much of the Berlin wall was gone, but some of it were kept as a memorial.
I also visited the Marlene Dietrich Museum sponsored by Sony. They had movie cameras, and pictures of Marlene Dietrich in all of her movies and some of the things she used to own.
Also saw where Hitler's bunker used to be.
saw038

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2016 04:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Wow! That must have been an experience to see a piece of history firsthand like that.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2016 05:21 pm
@saw038,
I've been fortunate, because I was able to travel so extensively from early in my adult life. When I was in the USAF, I was able to travel to Morocco, Spain, France, and England. The travel bug bit me. Our older son was also in the USAF, but he was an officer, and traveled to Saudi Arabia and the Far East. I took our younger son on a trip to China, and visited Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong. I took many pictures of him on that trip, and remember how much he enjoyed it. I remember when we visited the Great Wall, he climbed to the top of one of the hilly sections, and he complained that his legs were in pain for the next few days. He's now gone.
saw038

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2016 06:00 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Those sound like wonderful times! Do you have a particular place or trip that was your favorite?
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2016 06:19 pm
@saw038,
All the places I have visited is a favorite. However, when my nephew asked me to take his mother on a trip many decades ago, because he knew I traveled a lot. I asked my sister to choose between China and Egypt, because they both have long histories and many interesting sites. She chose Egypt, so I took her to Egypt and Jordan. I remember taking a picture of her at King Tut's tomb. We visited the Cairo Museum where they have a picture of the Roseta Stone. The real stone is at the British Museum in London which I have seen. The Coptic area where Jesus supposedly hid from the Romans. We did a river cruise on the Nile from Cairo to Aswan. Then we went to Jordan and visited Jerash, Amman and Petra. I visited Israel a couple of times many years later.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2016 01:43 am
@cicerone imposter,
I could listen to your travelling adventures the all morning. You should give it a go and write your travelling memoires . Wink
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2016 10:49 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
If you're interested, you can visit my blog at: travelpod.com/members/c.i.222
0 Replies