What will China do with their declared air space?

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 01:00 pm
Quote:
BEIJING (AP) — China said it sent warplanes into its newly declared maritime air defense zone Thursday, days after the U.S., South Korea and Japan all sent flights through the airspace in defiance of rules Beijing says it has imposed in the East China Sea.

The US, South Korea and Japan all sent flights through airspace that China says it has imposed in the East China Sea. Will China shoot first or let others fly into their air space?

What will this mean to the political and economic relationships between these countries - if anything?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 1,271 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 02:57 pm
Not too familiar with the international law here, but I think that if you claim more than about three miles of ocean, people ignore you.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 05:35 pm
@Brandon9000,
I don't know what I thing yet, but am suspicious and crabby.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 01:08 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
Will China shoot first or let others fly into their air space?

It isn't their airspace. They have no choice but to allow us full military access to international waters.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 02:02 pm
@oralloy,
What China has really done is to make themselves look foolish on the world stage. You can't claim something that doesn't belong to you; China tried and failed.
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 02:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I admit that I am not up to speed on this...but as I recall there are a couple of rather desolate islands which both China and Japan claim. The dispute goes back to the end of WW2 (is that right?).
Periodically China rattles some sabres. I wonder if it is any more than for domestic propaganda purposes.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 02:56 pm
@realjohnboy,
I remember these names but not only didn't understand back in those days, still haven't read this link (and may not) yet. May have nada to do with the present rattling going on. A quick visual scan of the wiki page doesn't mention Japan re all that, so I may be bringing up a red herring. Red herring, get it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Taiwan_Strait_Crisis
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 03:11 pm
@realjohnboy,
That's correct.

From Wiki
Quote:
Senkaku Islands
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Diaoyutai" redirects here. For the Chinese state guesthouse, see Diaoyutai State Guesthouse.
Page semi-protected
Senkaku Islands
Disputed islands
Republic of China (Taiwan)
Township Toucheng, Yilan County, Taiwan Province
The Senkaku Islands (尖閣諸島 Senkaku-shotō?, variants: 尖閣群島 Senkaku-guntō[1] and 尖閣列島 Senkaku-rettō[2]), also known as the Diaoyu Islands (Chinese: 钓鱼岛及其附属岛屿; pinyin: Diàoyúdǎo jí qí fùshǔ dǎoyǔ; also simply 钓鱼岛) in Mainland China[3] or Diaoyutai Islands (Chinese: 釣魚台列嶼; pinyin: Diàoyútái liè yǔ) in Taiwan[4][5][6], or the Pinnacle Islands, are a group of uninhabited islands controlled by Japan in the East China Sea. They are located roughly due east of Mainland China, northeast of Taiwan, west of Okinawa Island, and north of the southwestern end of the Ryukyu Islands.
After it was discovered in 1968 that oil reserves might be found under the sea near the islands,[7][8][9][10][11] Japan's sovereignty over them has been disputed by the People's Republic of China (PRC) and the Republic of China (ROC, commonly known as Taiwan) following the transfer of administration from the United States to Japan in 1971. The Chinese claim the discovery and control of the islands from the 14th century. Japan controlled the islands from 1895 until its surrender at the end of World War II. The United States administered them as part of the United States Civil Administration of the Ryukyu Islands from 1945 until 1972, when the islands reverted to Japanese control under the Okinawa Reversion Agreement between the United States and Japan.[12]
The islands are a contentious issue in the foreign relations between Japan and the PRC and between Japan and the ROC.[13] Despite the complexity of relations between the PRC and ROC, both governments agree that the islands are part of Taiwan as part of Toucheng Township in Yilan County of their respective divisions. Japan does not officially recognize Taiwan as a sovereign state,[14] and regards the islands as a part of Ishigaki, Okinawa Prefecture and acknowledges neither the claims of the PRC nor ROC to the islands. The Japanese government has not allowed Ishigaki to develop the islands.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 03:17 pm
I just checked out the coverage on this on the BBC. They have a story up today titled "Q&A: China-Japan Islands Row"
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 07:43 pm
An American/Japanese/South Korean military exercise is going forward, which will likely violate China's declared Air Defense Identification Zone . . .

CNN's report
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 08:18 pm
U.S. Advises Commercial Jets to Honor China’s Rules
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 08:40 pm
who are we to complain?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d8/Alaskan_ADIZ.jpg/300px-Alaskan_ADIZ.jpg
0 Replies