Happy Turkey Day Everybody!

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 11:52 am
http://www.savagechickens.com/wp-content/uploads/chickenthankful.jpg
http://www.savagechickens.com/2013/11/thankful.htm

Hugs and pleasant thoughts for everyone on this lovely day.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 19 • Views: 3,422 • Replies: 32

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 11:59 am
Bah . . . Humbug!

(Is that the right line?)
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 12:02 pm
Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Glad to carry on this tradition from ancient American settlers.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 12:21 pm
@Brandon9000,
Actually ... the ancient American settlers didn't fare to well in the Thanksgiving story. It is best not to bring them up in this context.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 01:15 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Bah . . . Humbug!

(Is that the right line?)

Good enough for me... Laughing
Very Happy
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 01:45 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Glad to carry on this tradition from ancient American settlers.

You mean the ones that crossed the Bering Strait?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 02:53 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Actually ... the ancient American settlers didn't fare to well in the Thanksgiving story. It is best not to bring them up in this context.

Some did, some didn't. I was referring to the European settlers at Plymouth.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 03:09 pm
May all the turkeys in our lives be blessed with a pardon on this holiday.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 03:24 pm

Quote:
These are Brussels sprouts. They are nature's turds....

So true!
oralloy

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 05:29 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
maxdancona wrote:

I've always found it a bit awkward that some 50 years after that Thanksgiving feast, we genocided the very same tribe that had helped us survive the winter.

Their Chief at the time was the son of the Chief that had saved us from starving that first winter. We cut off his head and mounted it on a pole in Boston for 20 years.

His son was 9 years old. We sold him into slavery in the Caribbean.

Now every year we celebrate how thankful we are that they helped us.

I suppose I sound a bit like JTT. But like I said, the holiday feels a bit awkward to me.
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 05:41 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
maxdancona wrote:

I've always found it a bit awkward that some 50 years after that Thanksgiving feast, we genocided the very same tribe that had helped us survive the winter.

Their Chief at the time was the son of the Chief that had saved us from starving that first winter. We cut off his head and mounted it on a pole in Boston for 20 years.

His son was 9 years old. We sold him into slavery in the Caribbean.

Now every year we celebrate how thankful we are that they helped us.

I suppose I sound a bit like JTT. But like I said, the holiday feels a bit awkward to me.

A) Why tell me? B) You're a little free with that "we." I did no such thing.
oralloy

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 05:51 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
A) Why tell me?

Your post conveniently mentioned the European settlers at Plymouth. But I was really telling anyone and everyone.

Brandon9000 wrote:
B) You're a little free with that "we." I did no such thing.

"We" refers to the American people in general. Those genocidal pilgrims were our ancestors.
Nom de plume

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 06:00 pm
@oralloy,
So my maternal side came across the Bering Sea about 9,000 years ago. Paternal side came over as an indentured servant in 1652. So, what does that make me? A victim or a perpetrator? I can't stand all this victim/minority talk. It happened before I was born. Get over it folks!
0 Replies

33export

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 06:04 pm
@tsarstepan,
And a merry one to you. Slide your glass over here.

http://www.butterrun.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Wild-Turkey-101-Proof.png

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 10:49 pm
My Thanksgiving is based in modern, 20TH Century and 21ST Century, tradition. I know the history of earlier America and I deplore it, but I will celebrate and be happy. Bring on the dancing girls and the cartons of wine.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 11:16 pm
@33export,
33export wrote:

And a merry one to you. Slide your glass over here.

http://www.butterrun.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Wild-Turkey-101-Proof.png

Ordinarily. whiskey is a tad too strong for my taste to drink sans liquid accompaniment but I appreciate the offer.

Here's my glass...
http://i41.tinypic.com/j6juaw.gif
cherrie

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 01:01 am
@tsarstepan,
We don't have this here, but happy Thanksgiving to those who do.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 01:49 am
@tsarstepan,
Its been a long day and were back at the hotel in in Wellsboro Pa (Its a really neat little town with lots of gas money, all the streets are lit with natural gas lamps and its spotless and all the stores are occupied and busy .

It was a beautiful Thanksgiving day in the hills and the dinner was prepared by a catering outfit that the gas company had set up for its crews. They rented a high school kitchen and hired a whole bunch of the school's kitchen and custodial people. The kitchen staff got paid really well and every one seemed really in good spirits (what for being 2000 miles from home). AND, even though it was a "dry" dinner, somehow, the Texas drillers and helpers and the seismic crews were getting "festive". Mrs F and I left fairly early , tomorrow we have two pads to visit and then we have a weekend off We will prolly come home Sat afternoon, maybe do some shopping at BAss Pro in Harrisburg. FirstWe will have a steak diner at one of the states best kept secret restaurants in Wellsboro. They have several special Delmonico steaks with their own herb and spice rubs. Its a real treat and something I can only eat like once every coupla months. Good thing that Wellsboro is a hundred fifty miles from home.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 03:22 am
@oralloy,
The genocidal pilgrims were not my ancestors. My first ancestor to arrive here arrived in 1676 from Ulster. He managed to miss the nastiness there, and to arrive after someone else had already cleared the original tenants off their lnd.
0 Replies

33export

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 10:37 am
@tsarstepan,

I'm a bourbon- and-branch guy myself.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2386/2096872214_19d095a5a7_z.jpg