Things are bad for Wally

farmerman

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2013 12:43 pm
@chai2,
heres a guy thing
1 we are a simply wired gender (sex, food, work, pastimes)

2. Getting our attention usually involves intertwining your own points with the above "BIG 4"

If you have any problems, get a golden retriever, were pretty much like that
Linkat

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2013 09:51 am
@chai2,
Quote:
I could totally see some disgruntled property owner going postal over his property taxes, and coming in to start gunning or take hostages.

Back in 2010, a guy in Austin set fire to his house, climbed into his Piper plane, and few it into an IRS building here, which was about 2 miles from where I worked.

Yes - I remember that. And also understand (well not quite that level of anger), how you can get irate about the incompentecy of this office. I have had my share of fights with these guys - the process they use to value your home is insane - they had my condo valued significantly higher than my neighbors that had an additional bedroom and a gargage that we did not. Their excuses are laughable and they don't seem to care.

I do suggest everyone look at their valuation as you can have it changed - however, only after filling out all this crap - and using their own database for like properties that have sold (kills me you use their own database) and tell them which page/item number you are comparing - they will update.

Sorry I but I guess I can see it from your side after remembering being so angered on yelling at their incompentcy over the phone. Gotta love city government. Any way just your descriptions give me a chuckle.
Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2013 09:58 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

heres a guy thing

If you have any problems, get a golden retriever, were pretty much like that

Agree with everything apart from breed of dog.

Personally I'm more flatulent than a retriever. More of an Old English Sheepdog I suppose.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2013 10:01 am
@Linkat,
um.....Actually I was going over there to give them the last of the paperwork to get our home permanently exempted from property tax.

Wally had applied for VA benefits back in Sept of 2012, and we got notification of his approval while he was in the hospital with his shoulder surgery back in early/mid Nov.

He was approved 100%, which means a monthly payment more than he and I were making together each month, back payments all the way back to his inital date of application, and permanent exemption on our house for all property taxes.
If I become a widow, I keep that exemption on the house forever, and if I sell it and move, I permanently keep the exemption up to the dollar amount I would have been paying when the old house was sold, on the new house.

That's why I don't have to work anymore, unless I want to.

This couldn't have come at a better time, since I won't be working all Dec, so I can take him to therapy, doctors appts etc, as he won't get permission to drive for awhile.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2013 03:06 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
um.....Actually I was going over there to give them the last of the paperwork to get our home permanently exempted from property tax.

Wally had applied for VA benefits back in Sept of 2012, and we got notification of his approval while he was in the hospital with his shoulder surgery back in early/mid Nov.

He was approved 100%, which means a monthly payment more than he and I were making together each month, back payments all the way back to his inital date of application, and permanent exemption on our house for all property taxes.
If I become a widow, I keep that exemption on the house forever, and if I sell it and move, I permanently keep the exemption up to the dollar amount I would have been paying when the old house was sold, on the new house.

That's why I don't have to work anymore, unless I want to.

This couldn't have come at a better time, since I won't be working all Dec, so I can take him to therapy, doctors appts etc, as he won't get permission to drive for awhile.
CONGRATULATIONS!!! on the Good Fortune
that has befallen u and Wally, Chai!!!!!

Welcome to the club of A2K retired people! It can be relaxing.
U 'll have a lot more time to post.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2013 03:16 pm
@chai2,
It looks like u r DISPROVING the name of your thread, Chai.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2013 07:22 pm
@chai2,
How is Wally doing, chai?

Is no news good news? I hope so.
chai2

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2013 11:51 am
@firefly,
Thanks for asking firefly.

Things are coming along.

Yesterday, he had his first cardiac rehab session.

Walking, stationary bike and so forth. It's 3 times a week for I think 12 weeks.

He was surprised at how hard it was.....I wasn't.

Wally worked a physical job all his working life, and never had to give a thought to official working out, as many of us nowadays do.

So, when he stopped working, he really did get how you had to do things a particular way, or any idea at all about it in fact.

On Monday the 23rd, we go to see Dr. V, our regular cardiologist.

On January 3, we're going to see a nutritionist (on the 15th of January I'm going)

For me, I've always eaten well, but have put on a lot of weight due to stress. For Wally, I'd present him with good food, but you know how that goes.

This nutritionist is more about finding the specific supplements to met a specific persons needs, and we are both looking forward to going.

Knock on wood, everthings fine for today.

firefly

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2013 12:10 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
Knock on wood, everthings fine for today.

That's really good to hear, chai. Thanks for the update.

Rehab is always hard--if it was easy, Wally wouldn't need it. Wink

Glad you'll have a nutritionist to help both of you stay healthy and in good shape.

Sounds like your New Year will be off to a good start.

Happy holidays to both you and Wally.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 02:56 pm
Information for anyone who may have to have bypass surgery in the future...

Since the surgery, even though he's been eating well, and more than usual, he has been steadily losing weight. This was alarming us both, as he can't afford to lose any weight at all.

We were both anxious about getting him to the nutritionist tomorrow (see my last post above), and were also considering other causes, like cancer.

Well, he went to see his surgeon for a follow up visit today, and asked him about it. The doctor said that many times the patient drops 10 or 15 pounds in the first couple months after bypass surgery. This is because the heart is functioning better, and the persons metabolism is revved up. He said this would level off, and the weight will start to go back on if he follows a healthy, high caloric diet.
So, if you have this surgery, and weight drops off, don't be necessarily alarmed.

The other thing that has been complicating recovery is the fact he had shoulder surgery a couple weeks or so before the bypass.

It's been a catch 22 with his cardiac therapy, and the shoulder therapy. He of course stopped shoulder rehab (going back next week), because you can't do those exercises with the sternum having been cut through. On the other hand, it's hard to apply yourself to cardiac exercise when you can't move your arm properly. Sheesh.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 03:14 pm
Hey Chai good luck to you and Wally, and if you need inspiration look no further than Ranulph Fiennes..Smile

In 2003 aged 59 and despite having had a heart attack and undergoing a double heart bypass operation just four months before, Fiennes completed seven marathons in seven days on seven continents.
In 2009 at the age of 65, Fiennes successfully reached the summit of Mount Everest, becoming the oldest British person to achieve this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranulph_Fiennes

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/fien-everest.jpg~original
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 08:21 pm
@chai2,
Good God we were both so impressed with this nutritionist.

I recorded the entire hour we were there, and I'm glad I did. We've got the written plan, but I'm going to have to listen to the recording tomorrow to remember everthing said about each one.

Some are to be taken once a day, others, twice or 3 times daily.
Some of them are for the short term, like over the next 6 to 8 weeks, and some are for the long term.

I found out before we went that our neighbor had taken her son to see him for a particular problem, and she too was impressed.

We got most of the supplements right from him, but there were a couple that I could just pick up myself. I went to Central Market to get the 2 supplements, and whey protein, as I feel the people that work in the nutrition/supplement dept know their stuff. When I asked the guy were I could find the 2 supplements I needed, and handed him my list, he took a second and looked at the other items (5 others) on the list. He looked at me and said, "Whoever gave you this really knows what he's talking about."

The short term stuff is for maximizing muscle building, oxygen uptake and weight gain, as well as repairing any brain "foggyness" (my term) from the surgery, anesthesia and so forth.

I'll right out the list here after I listen to the recording.

This nutritionist put out the most positive vibe. It was obvious he wanted to truly help others, and was a very kind person.
JTT

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 08:24 pm
@chai2,
I'm happy to hear things are looking up for you and Wally, Chai. Best to both of you.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2014 01:53 pm
5 long term supplements:

Iron Bisglycinate - better absorbed in this form, not do be taken within 2 hours of dairy/calcium.
21 days on, 7 off.
You're not supposed to take every day, women have a built in regulatory system.
Increases oxygen uptake

B-Right, specific brand recommended for B vitamins, twice a day.
Anti-dementia, brain fog from surgery, helps with seritonin, addictive personality, nicotine replacement. He quit weeks ago, but old habits.....

Co Enzyme Q10 or Co Q10
an antioxidant that is made in the human body. CoQ10 is needed for basic cell function. CoQ10 levels decrease with age and may be low in people with cancer, certain genetic disorders, diabetes, heart conditions, HIV/AIDS, muscular dystrophies, and Parkinson's disease. Some prescription drugs may also lower CoQ10 levels.

ZMA - zinc magnesium aspartate (the aspartate counteracts the negative side effects of the magnesium, famously know for giving diarrhea.)
Wally uses a testosterone gel. We learned that after a month or 2 of usage, it's not as effective as the body starts to convert the testosterone into a form of estrogen. The ZMA prevents it from doing that, and is also a muscle relaxant, so to be taken a bedtime.

Whey powder - to be mixed w/ juice milk water and consumed within 10 minutes of exercise, when the muscles are most receptive to receiving the protein. The nutritionist stated this is the most important thing for him nutritionally. This will halt the weight loss by giving the body the protein it needs, so the body won't keep consuming its own muscle mass.

The next 3 are for the next 8 weeks, or until there is a 5-10 pound weight gain. They are all anti wasting supplements.

Glutamine
HMB
Carnitine - GPLC - this also directly helps the heart muscle.

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2014 02:24 pm
Just seeing this thread for the first time, Chai. Glad things are going well for Wally and that his VA benefits came through just in time. Best wishes to you both.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2014 05:25 am
Just checking in post Xmas, and pleased to see that you're getting some good support re. nutrition etc.

Looking good....
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 11:34 am
I just got a call from Wally... Smile

Prior to his going into the hospital for his heart, he'd had shoulder surgery and developed a blood clot. When they did a CAT scan they said they wanted him to go see a pulmonologist.
We went and the doctor said he had "mild to moderate" emphysema, and some white spots that he could not identify as cancer or anything else, until he could compare them in 3 months.

A few days ago, Wally got a call to come in for another CAT scan, which he did. I was going to be asking him about setting up and appt with the doctor to find out the results.

Wally just called me and told me the doctors office had called, that the emphysema areas actually appeared to be Smaller, and that nothing else indicated any problems. He doesn't need another follow up for 6 months.

I had no idea I was holding any of this inside until he told me this. When he did, I burst into tears, I was so relieved.

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 12:39 pm
@chai2,
I'm happy for you, Darlin' . . . i hope your news remains good.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 12:40 pm
@chai2,
Excellent news! I'm sure this has been a nagging source of anxiety and breath holding. Bursting into tears tells you just how much effect it's been having on you. Don't forget to take care of yourself as much as you take care of Wally.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 01:22 pm
Great news! Rejoice.
0 Replies