Things are bad for Wally

jespah

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2013 05:31 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I can attest that you do forget stuff. And you wake up disoriented and don't know wtf is going on.

Excellent news, Chai. Smile
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2013 05:35 pm
@chai2,
I haven't checked into A2K in several days, so I'm just now catching up.

I'm so sorry Wally and you are going through all this, Chai. But SO relieved to hear the surgery went well! You both will be in my thoughts and prayers in the next few days. And I'll be checking here regularly. Hang in there....
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2013 05:59 pm
@chai2,
Oh chai, it is so good to hear that Wally made it through the surgery successfully.
Quote:
One thing that made all the difference is that every hour or so the nurse in the operating room would call your cell phone direct with a 10 second conversation, just to say "things are going well" or "we're more than halfway through, things look good". When I started hearing that I finally relaxed.

What a wonderfully considerate thing for the surgical nurse to do, to help relieve the enormous anxiety of the waiting spouse when such serious surgery is being performed.

I'm glad they were able to offer you that support/reassurance, to help you tolerate the waiting, and I'm happy it did help you to relax.

You and Wally certainly do have something to be thankful for this Thanksgiving--the surgery is behind him, he did survive it. I hope that gives you comfort, even if your Thanksgiving is spent in the hospital at his bedside, with ongoing concerns about his heath. One major hurdle has already been crossed, and it's behind you, both of you, now. That makes Thanksgiving very appropriately timed this year.

0 Replies

cherrie

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2013 06:15 pm
@chai2,
That's good news, very happy for you. I hope it continues to go well.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2013 06:21 pm
@chai2,
You've really been through the mill. Give yourself a treat, even if it's just a croissant or something like that. Treat yourself, you deserve it.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2013 06:40 pm
Greatly relieved that the surgery went well. Impressed that the nurse kept you informed all the way through.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2013 07:06 pm
What a relief that it went so well.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2013 07:19 pm
Just saw this thread, chai. Very glad to hear the excellent news!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2013 09:23 pm
@chai2,
WOW excellent news. Now for a convalescence that will probably restore most of his strength he used to have. My buddy had a few bypasses and he was suffering from a weakened heart with some cardiomyopathy. After just a few weeks after surgery, he had a visbly noticeable increase in his strength and stamina. Before hs operation he could barely walk the block without panting, after the operation he was walking talking and singing.

Lets hope Wally is soon to be among that group of patients.

_____Ehbeth. I just saw that your dad had surgery. I swear he just posted something on the MARINE ARTISTS thread. Is he doin fine?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2013 09:33 pm
@chai2,
So nice to come home and see your update.

I hope you're having a relaxing evening with felines.

I'll p.m. you.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2013 11:37 pm
@chai2,
Hello chai2, I'm very happy to hear that Wally is doing fine. Mr. glitterbag and I went thru the same thing in 2008. My husband is still very active, runs 2 - 3 miles a day, is tall, thin, hasn't ever smoked and rarely drinks alcohol. Heart disease runs in his family, his Dad died at age 52 from a heart attack and then his brother died of a heart attack at age 49. In 1998, he had to had three stents but his Doctor said he thought Mr. G would probably need bypass surgery within 10-15 years. In September 2008, he was experiencing an ache in the jaw and decreased energy despite diet and exercise. A nuc stress test indicated the need for another angioplasty. At the hospital,, his cardiologist began the procedure but reappeared faster than I expected. He said that bypass was the option this time, and the reason was that bypass would replace the stents and give his heart another chance. He said that if they placed too many stents as a temporary measure, it might become impossible later to have the appropriate tissue to do bypass if there were too many stents to work around.

They kept him overnight and scheduled bypass for the next morning. It definitely is a nerve racking experience, but I also got updates during the surgery. But I didn't really relax until the surgeon came out to give me the results.

He was 62 at the time he had bypass, the only thing that kept him in the hospital was his blood pressure would drop too low, and they didn't want to chance him leaving too early and getting light headed risking a fall. You really want to protect the incision, I've forgotten how long he was restricted from driving, but he was well enough to return to work in 6 weeks.

One of the things we did while he recovering, I placed his phone next to him him with my number dialed up. He had to call if he needed to get up, he wasn't supposed to reach for objects, he couldn't lift items over a certain weight. He also needed assistance to shower, but he was able to do that very quickly. You just don't want them to slip and damage the incision.

I'm so glad to hear Wally did well, also the bypass should last longer and Mr. G's cardiologist said that if blockages occurred in the future, they could be treated with stents, a must less invasive procedure.

Good luck to both of you, you seem to be off to a good start. I'm available if you want to compare notes on all the post op things you will need to deal with. I'm not a doctor, but we made it thru successfully and we had many folks to consult and advise us. I'm sorry the surgeon you dealt with, rambled on with all sorts of worst case scenarios. Sometimes they forget its brand new to you and Wally, and rattle on blaming the patient, it's insensitive and frightening. The bypass for my husband was the first time he ever had to be opened up to fix a problem.

One things, if you can get the doctor to cooperate, is get a prescription for pain meds before he's released. I got one for my husband when he was discharged so I drove in heavy traffic from Baltimore to Annapolis, got him settled in bed, than ran off to the pharmacy to get his pain meds. The pharmacy was very slow, and by the time I got back he was pretty sore. He didn't need the pills for very long, but it's good to get them in on a timely basis so they don't tighten up making it more difficult for the meds to work quickly.

Well best of luck, if I can be of any help, feel free to contact me here or thru a PM, GB
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 01:47 am
@chai2,
What wonderful news, Chai.

I was just about to tip my porage ( the correct spelling) from saucepan to bowl when I suddenly remembered Wally and have consequently logged on.
I am greatly relieved, but my porage may have to be re-made as it probably has black bits on the bottom by now.

"..does that sound like you lordyaswas? "

Mine wasn't the breathing tube. It was the damned catheter that connected to the receptacle gubbins via a retaining clip on the left side of the bed.

When the nurses came to rearrange the bedding and plump things up, they didn't think about my attachments, and kept trying to roll me over onto my right side.
Now, like every man here, I have no qualms with any attempt to improve length, but not when I'm just about coming out of anaesthetic.
I moaned loudly, one of them tutted about all men making a fuss, and this angered me sufficiently to shout "watch the effing catheter!", or words to that effect.
So happy to hear that it's all going tickety boo so far, chai. What you need to get now is a little hand bell for when he gets home. It will save him having to shout, and will help you drop a dress size over the next few weeks.
My wife LOVED my little hand bell.

I wonder where it is now? Haven't seen it for ages.....
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 08:30 am
Thank you one and all for your comments and encouragement.

A couple of comments....

David/Jespah.....You're right, amnesia after surgery is definately a possibity, and and problem. I could see how if you had no memory, you could very well be thinking "have I been abducted...am I dead....what's going on....who are these people, aliens?" etc etc. You can have all kinds of crazy thoughts, or depending on your live experiences, be reliving prior events.
When I went back, they had taken out the breathing tube already, I saw that right away. In the first hours, they have a nurse one on one with you in the room, right at beside, to monitor everything. Lordyaswas, if your mother was still alive, as a nurse she would certainly be amazed at the state of the art technology that is employed today. For us old geezers who can remember visiting grandma at the hospital back in the 70's, or in the hospital themselves, it's like a Brave New World today. Someone time traveling from back then would be in shock, like someone from the Middle Ages appearing here and seeing cars and electric lights. Better yet, you know that every year newer and better things come out.
In any event, yeah, when I got there I stood at the foot of the bed, and when Wally saw me, he tried to talk (Ack! Stop! Don't Talk!), but most importantly, I saw that flash of recognition in his eyes. Then his eyes immediately started blurring and tracking all over, so after a minute I asked "Do you want me to leave?" He kind of shakes his head, not sure if it was just random movement. "Do you want me to stay?" More emphatically Nods his head this time. "Do you want me to not talk?" VERY emphatically nods his head. So I sit down and he holds my hand until he seemed over wanting to hold my hand Smile . I turn to the nurse and ask her something, and he does this slightly Frankenstein hand waving "fire bad!" thing, like I shouldn't be talking. Then the nurse goes to answer me, and he does another, but more stern "FIRE BAD!!!!" hand wave. It was pretty funny actually.
Again, with the just being present thing, for the next hour he would mostly just be randomly staring or tracking his eyes around, but every so often he would quickly snap them over to where I was sitting. Like to remind himself where he was.
Unfortuanately, he has a really high drug tolerance, and they are giving him pretty much all they can. Hence, that means he's in more pain than I think most people would be, because the meds that would OD most people just keep the edge off for him. So it goes.

Glitterbag....You bring up excellent points as far as signs and symptoms of heart distress that we not take seriously, or just think it's part of something else.
In Wally's case, at first the docs and we thought he just had the crud that was going around. I mean, you display the same symptoms that a lot of other people are having at the same time, you're going to think it's the same thing.

In defense of the surgeon, probably my writing wasn't clear. It was the original cardiologist that did the angiogram that was a pompous douchebage asshat, not the surgeon who did the bypass. The surgeon was informative and talked to us like we were intelligent people, capable of making the right decisions when presented with full information.

Lordy, oh yeah, while I was there he wanted to sit up, and even with all the amazing technology surrounding him, there seemed to be a conundrum as to how to correctly get the bed into a chair like position. The problem was eventually solved, but not without him all the while using colorful language about various peoples mothers. Shocked
Izzie

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 08:54 am
@chai2,
So very good to read, Chai...

massive giving thanks from the UK for you and Wally xx

healing wishes being sent along the stream. x
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 09:48 am
@chai2,
Late to the thread, but happy that the surgery went well. Sorry that Wally's going through this... hospitals are the worst, and surgery takes it to a whole other level.

Wishing you both the best of luck.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 10:04 am
@chai2,
........"while I was there he wanted to sit up, and even with all the amazing technology surrounding him, there seemed to be a conundrum as to how to correctly get the bed into a chair like position."

There'll be a lot of that. If the staff are worth their salt they'll be keeping him sat up or as upright as possible for as long as possible.

All to do with fluid and lungs. Lie flat bad. Sit up good.

It sounds like he's in good hands, Chai. The only thing I would say is don't bugger yourself up by overdoing it.
Lots of naps when you can, lots of going out and doing some tai chi or something in the garden. Lots of ommm type activity to keep your brain from boiling over.

Great news though. Lots of healing vibes now being sent.

Keep calm and carry on.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 01:31 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
Thank you one and all for your comments and encouragement.

A couple of comments....

David/Jespah.....You're right, amnesia after surgery is definately a possibity, and and problem. I could see how if you had no memory, you could very well be thinking "have I been abducted...am I dead....what's going on....who are these people, aliens?" etc etc. You can have all kinds of crazy thoughts, or depending on your live experiences, be reliving prior events.
When I went back, they had taken out the breathing tube already, I saw that right away. In the first hours, they have a nurse one on one with you in the room, right at beside, to monitor everything. Lordyaswas, if your mother was still alive, as a nurse she would certainly be amazed at the state of the art technology that is employed today. For us old geezers who can remember visiting grandma at the hospital back in the 70's, or in the hospital themselves, it's like a Brave New World today. Someone time traveling from back then would be in shock, like someone from the Middle Ages appearing here and seeing cars and electric lights. Better yet, you know that every year newer and better things come out.
In any event, yeah, when I got there I stood at the foot of the bed, and when Wally saw me, he tried to talk (Ack! Stop! Don't Talk!), but most importantly, I saw that flash of recognition in his eyes. Then his eyes immediately started blurring and tracking all over, so after a minute I asked "Do you want me to leave?" He kind of shakes his head, not sure if it was just random movement. "Do you want me to stay?" More emphatically Nods his head this time. "Do you want me to not talk?" VERY emphatically nods his head. So I sit down and he holds my hand until he seemed over wanting to hold my hand Smile . I turn to the nurse and ask her something, and he does this slightly Frankenstein hand waving "fire bad!" thing, like I shouldn't be talking. Then the nurse goes to answer me, and he does another, but more stern "FIRE BAD!!!!" hand wave. It was pretty funny actually.
Again, with the just being present thing, for the next hour he would mostly just be randomly staring or tracking his eyes around, but every so often he would quickly snap them over to where I was sitting. Like to remind himself where he was.
Unfortuanately, he has a really high drug tolerance, and they are giving him pretty much all they can. Hence, that means he's in more pain than I think most people would be, because the meds that would OD most people just keep the edge off for him. So it goes.

Glitterbag....You bring up excellent points as far as signs and symptoms of heart distress that we not take seriously, or just think it's part of something else.
In Wally's case, at first the docs and we thought he just had the crud that was going around. I mean, you display the same symptoms that a lot of other people are having at the same time, you're going to think it's the same thing.

In defense of the surgeon, probably my writing wasn't clear. It was the original cardiologist that did the angiogram that was a pompous douchebage asshat, not the surgeon who did the bypass. The surgeon was informative and talked to us like we were intelligent people, capable of making the right decisions when presented with full information.

Lordy, oh yeah, while I was there he wanted to sit up, and even with all the amazing technology surrounding him, there seemed to be a conundrum as to how to correctly get the bed into a chair like position. The problem was eventually solved, but not without him all the while using colorful language about various peoples mothers. Shocked
U r a very lucid, articulate writer, Chai.
U shud begin a new thread, to wit: "Things Are BETTER For Wally"
May your Good Fortune continue to IMPROVE!

David
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 06:47 pm
@chai2,
Well, here's one more thing I'm thankful for today.

It's very comforting, you know, coming here and finding friends being supportive to each other when it counts. I know that sometimes when we're in the thick of things like this, chai, "thankfulness" is not exactly what we feel. "Overwhelmed"..."stressed"..."shaken," certainly. A strange mix of emotions for a "thanksgiving" day.

But that's okay. Really, it is. You're entitled to feel whatever you feel. We'll sit here with you as long as you like.

You want me to go get you a drink?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 10:02 pm
Yea.

Joe(gratitude flowing)Nation
0 Replies

Miss L Toad

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2013 10:51 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
various peoples mothers

Oh dear, dear, dear, that does smack of being on the mend.

I shouldn't be at all surprised if you don't allow him to ever get sick again.
0 Replies