Could someone translate my name into hebrew?

provoko

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 03:10 pm
My name is Francesco pronounced fran-ches-ko and it's italian.

Is there anyone here that could translate it into hebrew?

I've got this hebrew to english key, but it's really confusing especially when the letter f can be 6 other hebrew letters.

Thanks for any help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 13,261 • Replies: 29
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 03:12 pm
ocsecnarF

Wink
provoko

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 03:16 pm
... dont' spam, besides, that's english
but nice try, heh
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 03:35 pm
http://www.foreignword.com/Tools/dictsrch_hp.asp?query=Francesco&src=BP&srcbox=20&trg=CU&submit1=+Go+
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 03:51 pm
I never spam.
0 Replies

provoko

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 05:06 pm

Wow, so many letters and spaces. How come?

But thanks. =)
0 Replies

provoko

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 11:49 pm
Wait, that website doesn't help. I put in my name, and i get this long word: ìà ðîöà úøâåí, àðà áãå÷ äàí äîìä îàåééúú ðëåï. But that's the same word I get when I put in Ruvio or just asjkflss. Same goes for my last name.

That site doesn't translate my name.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 08:13 am
I dunno, I thought some attempt was better than none.
0 Replies

provoko

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 10:58 am
Definitely, thanks.
There are no hebrew speaking people in a language forum? I guess I lucked out.

Anyone know of a good hebrew forum? I tried searching for one, the only good ones I found were actually IN hebrew... haha.

Thanks.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 11:36 am
I speak some Hebrew but the real problem is that I doubt Francesco is readily translated into Hebrew. Do you mean transliterated, e. g. the letters with the same sounds make it sound like your name? In that case (reading from right to left), you could go with:
Vav (used as a vowel, so there's a dot in the upper left corner. That's the O sound and not a V), Kaf (for the C), Samech (for the S), Aleph (used as a vowel, so there's 2 dots, horizontally next to each other, under the letter. That's the short E sound), another Samech (for the soft C), Nun (for the N), Aleph (used as a different vowel, this time with a capital T under the letter, for the A sound), Resh (for the R) and Pheh (like a Peh but with no dot in the middle. This is for the F sound).

The problem you're running into is that the consonent blends FR and SC aren't represented well in Hebrew. Now, if you were to go with a name with a similar meaning, or a similar sound, we might have more luck.

Here's an example:
My screen name is Jespah, which is pretty close to my actual name. But I always went with Yonah in Hebrew School and elsewhere (e. g. for aliyahs and such) because there is no J in Hebrew so you go with a Y and frankly I didn't want to be called Yenta. So my name is Yonah, and reading right to left its: Heh, Aleph (with a capital T under it, for the A sound), Nun and Yod (with a dot in the upper left corner, to signify not only the Y sound but also the vowel hard O sound).

Second example:
Linda means pretty but it's not a biblical name. But if Linda wants a name with the same meaning, she can use Ruth, which means beauty. From right to left, Taf, Vav with a diagonal set of 3 dots going from left to right, signifying the OO sound and then Resh for the R.

It's rather complicated because of the different alphabet, the placement of the vowels and the fact that the letters are read in the direction opposite to that used in English, Italian, Spanish, etc.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 11:46 am
Here's a link to the Hebrew alphabet: http://www.ask-group.co.uk/publish/hebrewalph.htm

Reading from right to left, the letters are Aleph, Beth, Gimel, Daled, Heh, Vav, Zayin, Chet, Tet, Yod, Kaf, Final Kaf (this is a Kaf at the end of the word), Lamed, Mem, Final Mem, Nun, Final Nun, Samech, Ayin, Peh, Resh, Koof, Tzaddik, Final Tzaddik
Second line, right to left: Kauf, Resh, Shin, Taf

That's as well as I can remember them and it's been quite a while since I was in Hebrew School. Plus, this does not indicate vowels. Aleph and Ayin do not have sounds and require vowel placement, either under or to the left of each letter.
0 Replies

Flaminius

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 03:35 am
If you settle for "free" as what Francesco means, the Hebrew equivalent is Dror (spelt dales-reish-vov-reish: from right to left, of course).

The etymology of "Francesco" can be complicated. I hear Francesco of Assisi was named as such because his mother came to Italy from France, thus it must have meant French-origin. Even the "franc-" part could mean free, sincere, and genuine. But as for translating your name into Hebrew, I think Dror comes most natural.
0 Replies

ketamyne

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 03:37 am
I can't speak Jewish so I'm not able to help I'm sorry
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 12:14 pm
Where is our Israeli steissd when you need him? :wink:
0 Replies

microchip470

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2004 09:16 pm
I am not sure but i think it might be פרנשסקה
0 Replies

Flaminius

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 08:10 am
It's read either franshiska or franshiske.

You need to use vov in place of hey to get "franshisko."
0 Replies

microchip470

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 03:43 pm
Yes so then i think its:
פרנשסקו
0 Replies

ltabib

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 03:38 pm
You all make it wrong
Your name is פרנצ'סקו
brimstone