Should I stop contact or not

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2013 04:52 am
Hiii
I have a girlfriend of 6 months and we love each other a lot
the problem started a week ago when i started preparing more for my exams
Today was my first paper and i am expecting a call from her from last 6-7 days. as i was expecting she would ask how the paper went etc.she left calling me because she herself has to prepare..etc
i understand that but i hated it and i called her and asked her about our schedule that we had to talk only in the morning, text each other for few minute's....which sucked as i was used to contacting her 24/7 as was she.....i said we should have a mutual understanding.... and you should understand that it wont reflect on her or mine studies if we contacted on phone for sometime in the evening... she said we don't have a mutual understanding and you should find someone else with mutual understanding if i had a problem with her...we fighted and argued for some time and I was given a statement at last that i also should not contact her till her exams are over i.e ending January and till my entrance preparation for masters degree is done...that means 4-5 months of no contact and I'm in shock....i don't know what to do..i have my self respect so i wont call her again....But this attitude of her sucks..Please help me :-(
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,192 • Replies: 21
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2013 07:30 am
@crazyydudee,
You're in college and you don't know that the end of January is a little over 2 months, rather than 4-5 months from now?

And - cripes - what's more important? For your girlfriend to pass her exams and get her degree, or to text with you for the umpteenth time every day in order to discuss where you're getting lunch? You have got to admit that the vast, vast majority of your texts aren't about anything terribly earth-shaking.

You expected her to call to ask how your paper went? Do you find you need that much back-patting in order to get your schoolwork done?

School does require some breaks. Even very difficult coursework cannot be done 24/7. I'm with you on that. But she clearly needed personal space and it also sounds like she found you overly needy. I mean, seriously, you expected her to drop her studies to ask you how your paper went?

For people who - you say - love each other a lot - you are at an impasse. She is also stressed, you know. Why not try being understanding about that, and less demanding on her time? Don't pout about her putting you off so that she can get her own coursework done. How about sending her one text (and I mean one) asking her how her tests and papers are going?

Since you seem to have the easier schedule, you have the time to do this, but also understand that you're likely not going to get the same level or speed of reciprocity. If she is Pre-Med and you are taking underwater basket weaving, you need to step back and appreciate just how tough that program (or something like it) really is.

My own undergraduate degree is in Philosophy. I read a lot, and I wrote paper after paper after paper. I didn't expect boyfriends in Engineering or Mathematics or even Theatre Arts to contact me after every bit of schoolwork I passed in, nor did I do the same in return. Breakups did not occur over that (I didn't end up marrying anyone I went to college with). But we all had the same basic level of understanding and expectations for these relationships.

School always came first.
crazyydudee

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2013 08:02 am
@jespah,
i just said after my entrance preparation ..that is 4-5 months.....
Her exams will b over in jan not mine thats what i meant :p
jespah

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2013 08:11 am
@crazyydudee,
If you don't mind having contact when you're in the middle of exams and she's not, then say so. If she doesn't want to contact you after her own exams are done, then that's a different ball of wax entirely.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2013 08:31 am
@crazyydudee,
Are you both on the same campus?

Something's wrong here. You can't even have an end-of-the-day conversation with her? Just to connect with each other?

I think the issue started long before exams. She sounds like she wants some time alone. Perhaps you were suffocating her. Back off and also begin to date others. I get a feeling you've been dropped.
crazyydudee

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2013 08:35 am
@PUNKEY,
i trust her too much.......she changed in two weeks.....just before two weeks she said she cant live without me...... :-(
PUNKEY

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2013 08:42 am
@crazyydudee,
Are you on the same campus, or is this a long-distance relationship?
crazyydudee

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2013 08:51 am
@PUNKEY,
same campus
same course
shez my junior
im 21
shez 20
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2013 08:53 am
I'm seeing both sides of it.

I agree with jespah that mature adults should be able to take a break while they are doing something important, like studying.

However, I also don't see where there would be a problem with a simple text or call once a day, or every other day, just to say hi.

My feelings are maybe you touched a nerve with her, maybe called/texted her at the wrong time. One thing I've learned (and I should take my own advice) is timing is all.

My husband of 20 years goes away for 3 weeks or so every two months, and we do chat with each other once a day. Unless there's something important to talk about, about the household, our typical conversation lasts maybe 2 or 3 minutes....just a "Hi, how are you? Things are good? Same here. Be careful, I love you, goodbye"

Sometimes though, we catch each other in the middle of something, or just don't feel like talking, and either of us feels comfortable with saying "I can't talk right now" or "You woke me up/I'm busy/I don't feel like talking" and that's that.

If I were back in the dating scene, I would totally hate having someone calling me/texting me, over what I would consider such mundane things as "how's your day......I was just thinking about you......blah blah blah"

How's my day? I'm busy...even if I'm not busy what am I supposed to say?...."uh....fine? What did you need? You're thinking about me?.....um....ok.....uh, I thought about you too when I saw some underwear on sale and bought you a 6 pack. Damn, now we don't have anything to talk about when I see you tonight, I was saving that."

I mean, getting a call like that once in a while is nice, like a pleasant surprise, but not every day.

chai2

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2013 08:54 am
@chai2,
Oh God, I just saw you're on the same campus.

Jesus, give her some breathing space.
crazyydudee

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2013 09:04 am
@chai2,
space??
i haven't seen her in a month..
its getting like a long distance relationship.....
0 Replies

crazyydudee

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2013 09:05 am
@chai2,
won't contact her till she contacts me now
i will give her space....
chai2

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2013 09:48 am
@crazyydudee,
Oh well then.

nonny nonny boo boo.
I won't talk to you until you talk to me.

Learn some give and take.
Life isn't black and white.

It's not all or nothing.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2013 09:48 am
@crazyydudee,
Oh well then.

nonny nonny boo boo.
I won't talk to you until you talk to me.

Learn some give and take.
Life isn't black and white.

It's not all or nothing.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2013 09:50 am
Like I said, I think he's been dumped.
chai2

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2013 10:14 am
@PUNKEY,
Well, I might agree with that.

Personally, do what jespah suggested. I'd wait a couple/few days, send 1 text, and if she doesn't respond, there you go.

Don't want to throw out the baby with the bath water. She might have just been feeling touchy at that time. You know how us wimmins are.

Or maybe she's over him.

I've never been into these games of "I'll call you" and the other person sits and waits like a bump on a log waiting for the call. I end phone conversations with people with "I'll give you a call" all the time I'm sure. I'm not writing down in a book somewhere if I'm supposed to call this person first, or if they ended the converation that way, that I was committed to wait to talk to them, even if I had some important information to share.
crazyydudee

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2013 03:31 pm
@chai2,
we talked on the phone at nigh
t
i told her what's wrong
i tried to make everything right
i even got tears damm i told her i cant live without her n at last she said she wanted a breakup
Talking for an hour and more again i showed my care and told her to tell me if all our promises were false and you don't love me now.. At last because of my crying and caring she told me she was angry because of one of my statements she misunderstood :-(
now everything is fine
n i have to call her again
i can't sleep eat n study now :-(
crazyydudee

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2013 11:49 pm
@crazyydudee,
sometimes i feel like she wants to know how much i care n sometimes it looks that she's using me because she knows i can't live without her but then i remember her saying the same for me....
My problem is that im getting depressed... im going to consult a therapist :-(
0 Replies

Nom de plume

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2013 12:07 am
@crazyydudee,
She is trying to break it off with you. Sorry, but she is too chicken to say "get lost" so she is using school as an excuse. She has probably been being evasive for a while but you are not picking up on the signs.
crazyydudee

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2013 03:15 am
@Nom de plume,
everything is good now
she said she misunderstood a statement of mine.
it was hard to make her understand the truth...
she said she thought it was me who wanted to avoid contact during exams....
she also said even if a breakup happened
she would survive maximum 4 days without me and will always come back..
the problem yesterday was of her being cold and not telling me the real problem... she said her emotions were head over heels and she couldn't control them...now she made me understand that she never wanted to breakup with me..she was angry and yes she's short tempered....n she won't repeat the breakup again in any fight if it came across.....we talked about saving the relationship etc and she at last apologized a lot saying she never wants to loose me and everything....
thanks All for the replies BTW i really love this place....now...