Does reincarnation occur or is it all just hoax?

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2013 02:45 pm
A few psychologists have recorded the cases (all around the world) of a few children apparently remembering their previous birth, where as many skeptics say that it is all either hoax committed by parents e.t.c, or it is self deception/fantasies e.t.c.......... what do you think? does reincarnation really happen or is it some kind of hoax/fantasy/delusion ?

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2013 02:49 pm
I think it's just wishful thinking. People don't like to face the fact that when the machine stops working, it's permanent.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2013 11:05 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
when the machine stops working, it's permanent
Yea Bran. However there's a bigger picture in which your "soul" lives on, in the form of every way in which you affect the future

I'd agree though, we don't look forward to it
BillRM

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2013 11:25 am
@dalehileman,
Is it not very very strange that few if any fear the billions of years of time before we came into existence but the ending of our very very brief time on earth is fear?

Should we instead, by simple logic, be happy that we had all beat the many trillions to on odds that we as ourselves would come into being even if for a short time?
BillRM

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2013 11:40 am
Oh I was amused that in the new Thor movie earthlings was look down upon as unlike Thor people with a 5,000 years lifespans we have at most a 100 years or so.

However in the lifetime of the universe 5000 years is but an eye blink of time also.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2013 11:46 am
@pgmfordownloads,
pgmfordownloads wrote:
A few psychologists have recorded the cases (all around the world) of a few children apparently remembering their previous birth, where as many skeptics say that it is all either hoax committed by parents e.t.c, or it is self deception/fantasies e.t.c.......... what do you think? does reincarnation really happen or is it some kind of hoax/fantasy/delusion ?

If there was any real evidence for any of this type of stuff, then scientists would be all over it like Zombies climbing a wall (World War Z). The very fact that there is no such scramble means that there is no evidence whatsoever for any of the paranormal claims that float around.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2013 11:48 am
hoax
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2013 12:17 pm
The Bible's view is that reincarnation into new bodies on earth is a myth.
It says that when people die it's like falling asleep-
"Don't grieve for those asleep,for they sleep in Jesus" (1 Thess 4:13/14),

then on judgment day we all get a wake up call, (including atheists) in brandnew spiritual bodies-
"So will it be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable...it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body" (1 Cor 15:42-50)
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/ack-in-the-boxB.gif~original

So atheists better get our excuses ready-
Jesus said "Pray that you will be able to stand before me" (Luke 21:36)

then to everybody who makes the grade he fulfils his promise-
"In my fathers house are many mansions..I'm taking you there with me" (John 14:2-6)

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2013 12:43 pm
A fragment of the Secret Gospel of Mark, one of the Gnostic texts discovered, describes Jesus performing secret initiation rites. Before the discovery of Gnostic writings, our only knowledge of it came from a letter written by Church Father Clement of Alexandria (150 AD - 211 AD), which quotes this secret gospel and refers to it as "a more spiritual gospel for the use of those who were being perfected." He said, "It even yet is most carefully guarded [by the church at Alexandria], being read only to those who are being initiated into the great mysteries." Clement insists elsewhere that Jesus revealed a secret teaching to those who were "capable of receiving it and being molded by it." Clement indicates that he possessed the secret tradition, which was handed down through the apostles. Such Gnostics were spiritual critics of the orthodox Church of what they saw as not so much a popularization as a vulgarization of Christianity. The orthodox church stressed faith, while the Gnostic church stressed knowledge (gnosis). This secret knowledge emphasized spiritual resurrection rather than physical resurrection. Indeed, the Gnostic Christians believed reincarnation to be the true interpretation of "resurrection" for those who have not attained a spiritual resurrection through this secret knowledge.

http://reluctant-messenger.com/origen10.html
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2013 12:51 pm

It's way up there on probably any list of things that are wishful thinking.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2013 01:44 pm
One thing i know, is that etc. is an abbreviation for et cetera, a Latin phrase meaning "and so forth." Your quixotic abbreviation of it is wrong, wrong, wrong.

Now, as for reincarnation--if you truly believe all of that hocus-pocus about past lives and what you claim psychologists say, i have a wonderful bridge for you that i can let you have at a knock-down price (cash only, in advance) which will make your fortune for you in under a year!
dalehileman

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2013 02:36 pm
@BillRM,
1. No Bill I don't think so but I can't explain why that should be. I guess, who cares what happens before me

2. I've oft reflected on this prop, concluding what a rare opportunity it is to be a humanoid, even if for only a few decades. Of course from a purely log/sci point of view this doesn't make any sense at all
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2013 02:48 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
However in the lifetime of the universe 5000 years is but an eye blink of time also.
Indeed Bill, in the nanomicrosecond of my own existence we've dojubled in population; while in another millisecond we will have eaten all the sea creatures, chopped down all the trees, while the atmospheric oxygen begins to decline as it's replaced by CO2

And still Mac's editing programmers won't recognize the very common misspelling above. Come on guys, it's because the "j" is immediately adjacent the "u". Oh sorry, that means, like, close by to
Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2013 02:50 pm
@dalehileman,
You are one incredibly ignorant son of a bitch.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2013 03:18 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
You are one incredibly ignorant son of a bitch.
Oh but S., I'm quite sure they were married at the time
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2013 09:38 pm
@Setanta,
Why was my reply to you edited?

Should I type it again?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 12:02 am
Reincarnation happens in my refrigerator. It's scary. Put in one dead thing and a few weeks later it comes back as something else
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 12:37 am
Quote:
PGM asked: does reincarnation really happen or is it some kind of hoax/fantasy/delusion ?

It's a crock, the believers subconscious mind is just playing tricks on them..Smile
Reincarnation-cultists think we get born into the bodies of new babies over and over again every time we die.
But given the fact that the earth is going to be barbecued when the sun turns into a red giant millions of years from now, there'll be no earth for them to reincarnate back to!

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sun-redgiant_zpse1bff226.jpg~original

BillRM

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 12:49 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
sun turns into a red giant millions of years from now,

Try a billion plus time frame not a few million years and all we would need to do is move the O'Neill colonies out a few more AUs from the sun.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 29 Nov, 2013 01:10 am

It is no longer so uncommon for people to leave their human bodies
and get back into them; it feels nice. I have not done it since the 1980s
(not counting surgery). I 'd have liked it more ofen.
Some people have done so in human death and return to human life
in hospitals ofen called "near death experiences". It also happens
in good states of health.

If the conscious life gets back in the same human body
or into a different baby one makes no difference in principle.

David