My Parents Think Me and My Brothers are Dead

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2013 07:38 am
A little background 1st.Please bare with me!I am 19. My mother is black and American. My father is half Afghan Tajik from his mother and his father is unknown. He grew up in Kabul during the Soviet occupation&met my mother when he was 16&supposed to be studying medicine in Turkey. My oldest brother was born shortly after, then my twin brother and me a yr later. My parents married & returned to Kabul when I was a baby. My grandmother was pissed, be ause she was only 32&now a grandmother of 3. She had began servicing men at the age of 12&owned a brothel by the we kids came along. She birthed Baba when she was only 14. When I was 2, she asked Baba to go rough up a guy who was giving her trouble. Baba is six foot six inches tall. He beat the guy so bad without meaning to that the guy died. My grandmother gave him and my mother enough cash to flee abroad, so Baba could not be killed as retribution. They settled in Sankt Peterburg, Russia&began careers as exotic dancers. The plan was that they would come for my brothers and me when they got settled, but that took 4 years during which they had two more kids. When they came back just before the Americans invaded, she refused to hand us over. We no longer spoke any English, so we could not talk to our mother and we had started to call my grandmother Mammie which is an Afghan word for mom. She said we were settled in and she was more than capable of providing for us. They went back to Russia, mailed us mobiles, &began a routine of calling every week&mailing us boxes of clothes and toys. As you might have guessed after the Americans invaded was nearly impossible to come in&out of the country, so they could not visit.
Now about life in Kabul. Mammie bribed the police & Taliban so she could continue managing her brothel in peace. She was very much against the Americans though. She said they were destroying our homeland for no good reason. When American GIs came to her brothel she refused them entry. She posted a sign that read No Americans, but Dogs okay. There were people in our district who were trying to suck to the Americans amd Mammie made a lot of enemies with that sign. Someone even threw a petrol bomb in our window, but Mammie would not back down. She said she was born in Afghanistan and would die there if need be. In late 2005 when I was 11 a warlord came knocking on our door late on night. He told Mammie to get her kids out of bed and come with him . She woke us up&dressed us in warm clothes and off we went. The warlord was a friend of Mammie.He said that a lot of people wanted her dead , because she had birthed Baba out of wedlock by a Soviet man then helped him escaped justice and now they were pissed even worse because she was not kind to the American GIs. He had been sent to murder us, but he did not want to. He came up with the plan that we would lay in the snow and he would shoot into the air then we would get to our feet and run like Hell. We were to leave Kabul and never return. Mammie agreed, because she thought we were too young to be matyrs. He shot the air and we ran. We went to Tajikistan since Mammie was an ethnic Tajik and Mammie set up a new brothel. As mentioned before Mammie had been against her son marrying an American, so she did not encourage us to learn English or act American.She also did not want us to learn Russian, because she suspected Baba's father had been a white Soviet and by going to live in Russia she felt he had turned his back on his Afghan roots .She did not inform them that we had relocated, because she considered us her kids. She returned to Kabul when I was 15 and learned that our parents had come to Kabul searching for us about a year after we fled and had been told by neighbors that we were taken away and shot.Mammie still did not contact them. My twin and I moved to France to attend university when we were 17 and finally learned English. Now my brothers and me are debating whether or not to show up in Russia and prove that we are not dead or just let bygones be bygones. I mean they did not search very hard for us and I wonder if they even care.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 776 • Replies: 14
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2013 08:16 am
I'm all for closure about things like this - unless, of course, this is a movie script.
OrionoverSaturn

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2013 08:21 am
@PUNKEY,
I wish it was a movie! Me and my brothers are starting to argue over this, because the eldest remembers our parents and wants to go to Sankt Peterburg, but me and my twin don't remember and want to let the matter rest.
0 Replies

OrionoverSaturn

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2013 08:21 am
@PUNKEY,
I wish it was a movie! Me and my brothers are starting to argue over this, because the eldest remembers our parents and wants to go to Sankt Peterburg, but me and my twin don't remember and want to let the matter rest.
PUNKEY

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2013 08:24 am
@OrionoverSaturn,
Are you sure they are alive?

You really don't know the ENTIRE story. Maybe hearing their side could put things to rest. You will never know if you don't hear their side.

Even if you don't want this, don't discourage your siblings from finding out what they need to be at peace.

Abandonment issue can haunt people their entire life.

OrionoverSaturn

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2013 08:32 am
@PUNKEY,
We know our parents are alive. We have their address in Sankt Peterburg. It's just a matter of if we're going to act or not. My twin is strongly against and my older brother is strongly for contact. I am stuck in the middle.
jespah

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2013 08:35 am
@OrionoverSaturn,
OrionoverSaturn wrote:

We know our parents are alive. We have their address in Sankt Peterburg. It's just a matter of if we're going to act or not. My twin is strongly against and my older brother is strongly for contact. I am stuck in the middle.

Then send them a letter. You know, the kind with stamps and an envelope, where you write something. Send it registered in order to assure that it gets there.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2013 08:39 am
@OrionoverSaturn,
I encourage you to contact them and at least listen to their side of the story.

You can forgive them, but don't have to have a relationship with them if you don't want to after listening to all sides.

As a parent, I can't imagine anything so hurtful as to hear my children were killed and not been able to see the bodies. There has not been closure on their end, either.

Is there another relative that could be approached to act a mediator for all this?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2013 11:42 am
I don't believe a word of this. The English is too good to have been learned in two years, along with also learning French, one assumes. The story is too crazy, as well. I call bullshit.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2013 02:40 pm
@Mame,
I agree he is a sharp writer, though even I could adjust his text. Basically good at telling what is going on, which is the art of writing.

He was raised around some english, not so much by his mother but the americans, though not educated in it until he was older. I don't agree with you on this being made up, or at least not sure on that. I don't know, maybe it is at he says, with someone else telling it.

I'm interested in his problem, am thinking about it. I guess I agree with Jespah, send a written letter by regular mail.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2013 03:32 am
Where did you learn French well enough to pass a test to get into a French university?
What are you studying and at what university?

Just write a letter to your parents or an e-mail. A letter would be more polite as a start.

Your father wanted to study medicine in Turkey at the age of 16. Where had he learnt Turkeish well enough to study? Was his score to enter university really that good at such a young age?
Your mother is an American. How old was she when they met`If under 18 her parents would have had something to say too about marriage and babies.
How come your parents did not want to go to USA instead of Russia?
How can you make a living as exotic dancers during 4 years when you are pregnant two of these years. According to you they even made good money as they could send you lots of gifts.
It all sounds more like a plot which needs to be straightened out.
0 Replies

cherrie

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2013 04:33 am
@Mame,
I'm pretty sceptical as well. There are far too many things in this story that don't add up.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2013 07:16 am
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exotic_dancer

I looked up exotic dance. No matter what type of dance it is -it is something you have to learn. Noone learns dancing really well within a short time.
Then there are those who call erotic dance for exotic. Guess you can learn that a bit faster.
This story is made up.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2013 09:32 am
Yep, bad movie plot time.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2013 10:40 am
@OrionoverSaturn,
Ajab qesa ast, agar ras mebud....
0 Replies