Are these sentences acceptable?

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 12:00 pm
I'm not very sure. Any comment appreciated.

(1)Who would like to offer books here what he thinks nice?

(2)Never was there such a cat!
(3) You are about to place yourself in a position of very danger.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,906 • Replies: 5
No top replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 08:46 pm
#1 Is acceptable, however not how you would typically pose that question.
substitute 'what' with 'that which' or even just 'that'
#2 is great
#3 just needs a bit of assistance....
"very danger"
Im thinking you are looking to make a greater statement since 'very' is an adverb used for emphasis. I would offer a suggestion "very great danger" or "very grave danger".

Im not an English expert and Im sure there are those who would make some other, perhaps more correct comments.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 12:53 am
OristarA - may I ask what the intent of your sentence (1) is?

If you are asking if people might like to SUGGEST the names of books they have enjoyed, I would make it: "Who would like to make suggestions about books they have enjoyed here?" or "Who would like to recommend good books here?"

Re sentence (2) - what you have written is fine - but it does sound a little foreign to the English-speaking ear, which is absolutely fine. We MIGHT tend to say: "There was never such a cat!" - but i am nit-picking.

Re (3) - I would simply say: "You are about to place yourself in a position of great danger." If you want to make it even stronger, I would make it "extreme danger", or "grave danger" - however, all your sentences are quite comprehensible. I just am not really happy with the "very".

Regards,

deb
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 12:18 pm
quinn1 wrote:
#1 Is acceptable, however not how you would typically pose that question.
substitute 'what' with 'that which' or even just 'that'
#2 is great
#3 just needs a bit of assistance....
"very danger"
Im thinking you are looking to make a greater statement since 'very' is an adverb used for emphasis. I would offer a suggestion "very great danger" or "very grave danger".

Im not an English expert and Im sure there are those who would make some other, perhaps more correct comments.

Almost rest assured your opinions are based on Standard English.

(1)We can find out one of the definitions of "what", which indicates: what = which, who, or that. So, we would like to say the #1 sentence is acceptable. But this definition is a Non-Standard usage(See the 8th/9th definition of "what" in AHD). Thus, the #1 is "not how you would typically pose the question."
Am I on the right track?
(2) !
(3) Can this "very" be an adj., denoting "actual" or "true"? (See the 8th/9th definition of "very" in AHD when "very" used as an adj.)

ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 12:19 pm
dlowan wrote:
OristarA - may I ask what the intent of your sentence (1) is?

If you are asking if people might like to SUGGEST the names of books they have enjoyed, I would make it: "Who would like to make suggestions about books they have enjoyed here?" or "Who would like to recommend good books here?"

Re sentence (2) - what you have written is fine - but it does sound a little foreign to the English-speaking ear, which is absolutely fine. We MIGHT tend to say: "There was never such a cat!" - but i am nit-picking.

Re (3) - I would simply say: "You are about to place yourself in a position of great danger." If you want to make it even stronger, I would make it "extreme danger", or "grave danger" - however, all your sentences are quite comprehensible. I just am not really happy with the "very".

Regards,

deb

(1) Well analyzed!

If substituting "books" with "photos", might I make it: "Who would like to recommend photos here that you think nice"?

(2)I'm afraid some of (native) English experts would like to determine that is definitely acceptable.
(3) Touche.

ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 01:45 pm
I like "Never was there such a cat!" It reads like something from a fairy tale. A little archaic, sure, but it has a lovely rhythm...
0 Replies