When to get involved-someone else's kid being bullied?

Linkat

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2013 12:36 pm
My daughter (freshman in high school) told me about a friend that she says is being "cyber bullied." Now I do feel kids are overstating about bullying now. But I am concerned as my daughter also let me know this girl has thought of suicide about a year ago. She did get counseling so it isn't that she is talking about it now. Just a concern as she has had problems before.

It just started with an old boyfriend texting her mean things (I don't know the specifics - but something along the lines like no one likes her, she has no friends) and he has started to call her.

I talked with my daughter about how that is harassment and it is illegal. I also said that she should probably talk to her parents, or her adviser or someone similar at school as this sort of harassment even cyber is looked at very seriously and they are likely to do something about it.

I know kids, don't want to "tattle", but when would be a point to get involved? Obviously my daughter is worried about her friend, when do you as parent get involved? I don't know her parents as this is a new friend she met this school year. I have met this girl as I've had a few times when I've driven her home from school.

Sturgis

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2013 02:38 pm
@Linkat,
When to become involved is immediately. This is especially true as you have indicated the young lady has been suicidal in thought in the past.

How to approach will be the main question here. From my place of thinking, putting forward a message to a school guidance counselor and the Principal would be beneficial. There are ways to do so anonymously, which, would keep your daughter separate from this and thus not have her seen as a problem by the former boyfriend of your daughter's friend.

Whatever you do, I urge you to step forward. Far too many young people end their lives regularly, because of matters which start out in this manner.
neologist

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2013 03:07 pm
@Sturgis,
yeah, what you said
PUNKEY

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2013 03:41 pm
@neologist,
Yup. Call the mother and ask if she is aware that her daughter is being bullied by this guy. She can then check it out with her girl.

Just be sure you have told your child that you think you need to get involved in this issue. She can then blame you if there is peer backlash to her.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2013 03:48 pm
@Linkat,
In some cases, there might be legal recourse,
depending on the facts of the matter.

I suggest seeking counsel from a local attorney.

With luck, maybe it cud be possible that she might even get some pro bono help.

David
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2013 04:02 pm
@PUNKEY,
Yes - when my daughter was first telling me this - and then said about her thinking of suicide before, I stopped her and said we have to do something now. Then she said - no it was a year ago and she had seen someone about this. I will see if her friend went and talked to someone as I suggested and then get her number and see if I talk with her mom.
0 Replies