Native vs Non-Native Teachers of English

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 09:12 am
Would anyone like to answer a few questions for me regarding the fact that it is assumed that in the United States native speakers of English make better English teachers than non-native speakers? I am working on a term paper on that subject. I am actually supposed to conduct an "interview" with a non-native teacher of English in the US, but I am having difficulty finding a willing participant. Thanks in advance!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 992 • Replies: 11
No top replies

panzade

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 09:36 am
Welcome bear. I don't think we can assume that natives are better at teaching english..I've never seen any statistics to corroberate that fact, but in HS all the language teachers were non native...does that prove your point? LOL
0 Replies

txpoohbear

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 09:42 am
You are right, of course, and that is exactly what I have been thinking about the HS language courses. The assumption is incorrect, but does it cause discrimination against non-native speakers of English (a loaded term in itself)?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 10:42 am
Non-native speakers generally teach people at basic levels better than do native ones. This depends, of course, on their students having the same native language as them.

The reason for this is their own learning process being closer to that of the student than a native English speaker's would be. The non-native ESL teacher did not learn merely by rote as a chile and had to adapt the same way the student will have to.

In terms of pronnunciation the non-native teacher will also pronnounce English words with a bit of pull toward their native language and if the teacher and student share this language the initial comprehension barrier will be easier to overcome.

But once past the initial phases the native English speaker is often the better teacher because of the native pronunciation and the vocabulary (especially with idioms).

The native speaker will also have much better sense of collocation, something non-native speaker will take years to master.
0 Replies

txpoohbear

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 02:10 pm
You make several valid points and I agree that if the teacher and student share a first language they will be able to relate to each other better, but what about a non-native speaker of English that desires to teach in a "regular" English class, lets say a freshman English class in a university, where she/he will be teaching native speakers, will their experience be a positive one, or will she/he be treated as inferior even though she/he has an advanced degree in English?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 02:18 pm
It depends on the fuency of the teacher. If the teacher has resided in an English-speaking country for a significant amount of time there might be no perceptible difference.

In my experience I've found that it usually takes at least 5 years for it to be nearly impossible to tell whether the speaker is native (of course, this varies, I know some who've thought in English and used English as a first language for over 20 years who are very obvious ESLers).
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 02:25 pm
Since a freshman class would consist of Literature or Creative Writing I think 18 year olds would accept someone with an accent.
0 Replies

txpoohbear

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 02:47 pm
While I would like to agree with you, as someone who teaches freshman English, I can't tell you how many times my students have come to class complaining about their math or science instructors who they can, as they say, "barely understand." They are not very accepting of those instructors, so I can only surmise that they may also be less than accepting of an English teacher who they would have to make an effort to understand. I find people here in the US in general to be less willing to make the effort to engage in a mutual give and take with those who speak English with any type of accent.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 03:10 pm
Since English is my second language I assure you I rushed to get rid of my accent. This is an insulated society, probably because of geographical reasons. And yet it has managed to absorb an influx of immigrants like the world has never seen. Things that make you go huh?
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 06:27 pm
0 Replies

txpoohbear

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 07:14 pm
I find it interesting that panzade rushed to get rid on an accent, while Joe doesn't find 'murricans' to be relatively accepting of accents. I also base my over-generalized comment on the lack of give and take of others who I am aquainted with who complain if they call a customer service line and have to speak to a, as they say, 'foreigner' Maybe, also as panzade points out, it is a geographical issue.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 08:29 pm
Having lived in Spain, more specifically the Mediterranean coast that abuts France, I can tell you that most of the people I came in contact with spoke Spanish, French and English. Admittedly they were all in college or graduated but Geography has a lot to do with exposure to other languages. Even in South Texas and South Florida 'murricans are quite familiar with Spanish.
0 Replies