Drug Manufacturer on Trial for Offering Kickbacks to Docs

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 06:18 am
You see them in your doctor's office- Mouse pads with the logo of a medication, free samples, other medical accoutrements sporting the name of some medication. But have the pharmacetical companies gone too far?

Federal prosecutors are taking one company to trial, claiming that the freebees offered to docs amounted to kickbacks to entice the medicos to prescribe one drug over another.......hopefully theirs. These "kickbacks", the prosecutors claim, involve everything from dinners, trips and other outings, and tend to influence the name of the prescription that the doctor will write for his patients.

Link to Article

Quote:

What do YOU think? Have the drug companies gone to far in their zeal to hawk their products?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 756 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 06:20 am
It's about time.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 06:40 am
What a surprise - not.

The drug companies give doctors astounding amounts of stuff - bloody incredible.

Not sure, to be fair, if it can be said to influence them, since they ALL do it!!!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 06:50 am
Quote:
Not sure, to be fair, if it can be said to influence them, since they ALL do it!!!

True. But let's look at it another way. You have two drug companies who have both come out with a great new product for "housemaid's knee". One is a little company who gives out pens and mouse pads. The other is a blockbuster company who wines, dines, and brings gifts for not only the doctor, but the entire office. At the dinners, the rep. is touting the wonders of his company's new drug.

The doctor does not have the time, or the inclination, to read up on the various new products for housemaid's knee. In point of fact, the product from the little company is the superior of the two. Which medication do you think will come into the doctor's mind when he needs to write a prescription?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 07:02 am
I learned more than thirty years ago that drug reps and sales reps for medical equipment companies have been giving kick-backs in a form which doesn't show. In a clinic or a hospital outpatient center, one of the large drug companies or medical supply houses will "rent an office." A broom closet has a sign put on the door, and it is then locked, and left that way. In 1973, when i first learned of it, one of these companies was paying the ********** Clinic (name withheld to protect the guily)--which was an incorporation of independent practicioners-- were paid $600.00 per month for such an "office." To put that in perspective, in early 1973, i paid $90.00/month for my one bedroom apartment, and at $3.65/hour, was considered well paid. The rampant corruption, the arrogance of doctors and nurses, and the fleecing of the ill, the injured, and those who had just lost family members sickened me to the point at which, in 1976, i gave up working in the medical field forever. This is just the tip of a very big iceberg.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 07:06 am
Setanta- Wow! I couldn't figure that one out, until I realized that you had meant to type "broom" closet!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 10:48 am
If it is ok for our elected officials why not Drs. It seems to be the American way of doing business. Embarrassed Embarrassed
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 11:06 am
au1929 wrote:
If it is ok for our elected officials why not Drs. It seems to be the American way of doing business. Embarrassed Embarrassed

Not just American, though all the money must be going into the pockets of doctors and administrators, because it certainly doesn't go into health services.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 11:17 am
In defense of my internist. He when he prescribes a short term medication, in particular an anti biotic, he will always give you the samples if he has them.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 11:24 am
Our family doctor (an internist, just retired) always tried to give us his samples.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 11:36 am
I've never had a doctor offer a sample, but we've still got the PBS to keep medicines affordable. Something the Americans tried to get us to give up during the recent free trade negotiations!
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 12:35 pm
every doctor i've ever gone to gave me a sample and then told me to get the prescription if the drug seems effective. if not, i should come back and try something else.

but i agree sometimes, these gifts go too far.
0 Replies