'Go out and have fun...' - GRRRRRRR

carrie

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 02:15 am
This is a link back to an old topic 'Do Lesbians Make Good Parents'...

'Generalisations have been bugging me lately, hence the topic raised. Everyone seems to see the gay scene etc as a shag scene, with no real skills in anything deeper or more meaningful. I keep getting told to go out and have fun, that I'm too young to be in a relationship, but this is by people who see the only thing as fun is having sex with strangers...to me , this is ok if it suits you, but its not for everyone. I can have just as much fun, if not more with my partner, and I love being so close to someone, loving someone.

What's wrong with wanting more than just self orientated things?

Hmm, I think I will start a new topic on this...'

So I did...better late than never..lol...

No idea where this one is going to go....lets see...place your bets please!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,458 • Replies: 14
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 02:33 am
Well, I'm biased, as I know more than one lesbian couple with kids who are great parents. Nuff said. People are people, plain and simple, with different tastes in lifestyle. To pigeonhole is to ally yourself with Satan, IMO.
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 06:31 am
What is your view on people saying 'go out and have fun,' seeing long term relationships as strangling...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 06:32 am
Screw 'em if they are becoming a nuisance.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 06:33 am
Not literally, just in the vernacular use of the word. Laughing
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 08:43 am
I would imagine that some lesbian couples make great parents and some make terrible parents. The only disadvantage I could see with a lesbian couple is not having a male parent as a role model or the potential for teasing in school. However, these are the same issues a child could have in a single parent home or one where the male parent is absent a good part of the time, or where the male parent is abusive, etc. As far as teasing, this also happens to children with glasses, that are too tall, too short, too thin, too fat, has red hair, has curly hair, or anything else that children can think of as a reason to tease.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 08:45 am
carrie wrote:
What is your view on people saying 'go out and have fun,' seeing long term relationships as strangling...

I used to enjoy them quite a lot. These days, they just make me jealous. I'm just not cut out for it any more. (If I'd known I'd turn so dull, I'd have capitalized on a lot more opportunities.)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 09:09 am
As far as long-term relationships--and the success of long-term relationships a lot depends on the age and maturity of the individuals involved.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 09:15 am
Yeah, my first reaction is that this is far less a gay/ straight thing than an age thing. I was in a very very intense, loving, rewarding, but rather insular relationship from 18 to 20. People were always telling me that -- you're too young! Go out! Party! Have fun! I scoffed at their insensitive, shallow imprecations and stayed home with my true love.

It was a very good, instructive relationship in a lot of ways, but 18-20 is this gap in my life. He's the only one who shares memories from that time, basically. (We're still in sporadic contact.) Without downplaying the importance and the rewards of a long-term relationship, I think that it's important to not get too wrapped up, at any age really, but especially if you're new to the relationship game.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 09:48 am
I've seen the products of these relationships and often they are gender neutral, i.e. "shmans". I'm not a big fan of shmans.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 10:29 am
And I think it's safe to say shmans are not a fan of you. :-D

(What does that have to do with "go out and have fun", though?)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 10:36 am
And I'm supposed to care Sozobe?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 10:53 am
Ideally, by the time you reach retirement age, you should be able to tell yourself, "I made my own mistakes--and because of/in spite of my mistakes, I'm a magnificient human being.

People are living longer lives. If you choose set up housekeeping with an exclusive other in your teens and then sow wild oats at 40, fine--as long as children are not involved.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 10:57 am
'Course not, cjhsa. Just, so what? You have no use for them, they have no use for you.

Amen, Noddy.
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 04:34 pm
I agree that relationships should be obsessive or consuming as this can sometimes be worse than one night stands and the effect they have etc... that's the thing - we're very individual confident people who live together, and have done for a couple of years, I love it and have no desire to have the fun people think is so much better...

Hmmm...everyone to their own though, can't argue with that!
0 Replies