Would a draft change your stance on the War on Terrorism?

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 03:30 pm
LOL, someone call georgeob1 here quickly!
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 03:42 pm
Actually, we sort of had a semi-committed threesome going which included a bouncy little blonde hippie-ish girl as well. Very Happy they were both reservests, and apparently "quit" within a year of going back to their home units.
Ahhhh...the good old days.....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 03:46 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
LOL, someone call georgeob1 here quickly!

http://images.animfactory.com/animations/people_m_z/sailors/sailor_saluting_md_wht.gif[/IMG]

Geoge wasn't in the Navy, but Naval Air Force :wink:
[IMG]

[Q: How do you know if there is a naval pilot at your party?
A: He'll tell you. ]
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 03:47 pm
I thought George was the captain of an aircraft carrier?
0 Replies

sparky

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 03:57 pm
For the first time in my life, the idea of a draft worries me, not for myself, but for my children. Very strange. That my son, or daughter, could be drafted to go die somewhere for a principal that they may or may not believe in. I'm beginning to understand how the parents of the troops overseas right now feel. Is it worth your son's or daughter's life? I don't think you can answer that here.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 07:49 am
Foxfyre
Excerpted from McCain comments.
Quote:
McCain predicted that, after the war, the Pentagon would find filling the military ranks to be difficult because the battles in Iraq are being fought with a force that is nearly 40 percent National Guard members and reservists -- who did not expect this kind of duty.
"They'll serve and they'll fight and they'll do magnificently, but keeping them in is going to be, I think, a very difficult proposition," said McCain, a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee.
He also urged an immediate expansion of the U.S. Army and the Marine Corps.
0 Replies

emclean

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 12:06 pm
Gee, I guess it it a good thing that our forces were drawn down so far in the 90"s
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 12:19 pm
emclean wrote:
Gee, I guess it it a good thing that our forces were drawn down so far in the 90"s

Indeed. It is a rather good thing that the Bush I drawdown was kept at a steady rate by "Slick Willie." Smile
I served in three units in my four years I managed to put in in Germany. The first one, a combat heavy engineer unit, was drawn down after we returned from GWI. The second was also drawn down in late 1992. I spent the period from January 1993-February 1994 at the 98th General Hospital in Nuremberg, which was beginning to close down as I left. The list of unit closings was actually dranw up and approved during the Bush I years.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 02:10 pm
With the end of the cold war the need for a large standing army was not there and therefore it was drawn down to the level deemed necessary. That continued right into the Bush 2 administration.

That leads me to the question of why did this administration invade Iraq knowing that the services were under manned. Where was that great military strategist the man called Dubya? Was it possible they did not know? Embarrassed
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 02:11 pm
We could always place the Balkans in NATO's hands and transfer our troops out of there.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 02:19 pm
au1929 wrote:
With the end of the cold war the need for a large standing army was not there and therefore it was drawn down to the level deemed necessary. That continued right into the Bush 2 administration.

That leads me to the question of why did this administration invade Iraq knowing that the services were under manned. Where was that great military strategist the man called Dubya? Was it possible they did not know? Embarrassed

AU, criticism of the plan came from the very top, like Gen Shinseki. He and others who dissented were sacked. The admin had "plans" for how it would go. Unfortunately dame Fortuna failed to read the script. Wink
0 Replies