Would a draft change your stance on the War on Terrorism?

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 04:37 pm
If this comes to pass, how would it affect how you feel about Bush and the war on terror?

US Preparing for Military Draft in Spring 2005
by Adam Stutz • Wednesday January 28, 2004 at 09:50 AM

The current agenda of the US federal government is to reinstate the draft in order to staff up for a protracted war on "terrorism." Pending legislation in the House and Senate (twin bills S 89 and HR 163) would time the program so the draft could begin at early as Spring 2005 -- conveniently just after the 2004 presidential election!

Reinstatement of the draft

Dear Friends and Family,

I urge you to read the article below on the current agenda of the federal government to reinstate the draft in order to staff up for a protracted war on "terrorism."

Pending legislation in the House and Senate (twin bills S 89 and HR 163) would time the program so the draft could begin at early as Spring 2005 -- conveniently just after the 2004 presidential election! But the administration is quietly trying to get these bills passed NOW, so our action is needed immediately. Details and links follow.

If voters who currently support U.S. aggression abroad were confronted with the possibility that their own children or grandchildren might not have a say about whether to fight, many of these same voters might have a change of mind. (Not that it should make a difference, but this plan would among other things eliminate higher education as a shelter and would not exclude women -- and Canada is no longer an option.)

Please send this on to all the parents and teachers you know, and all the aunts and uncles, grandparents, godparents.... And let your children know -- it's their future, and they can be a powerful voice for change! Please also write to your representatives to ask them why they aren't telling their constituents about these bills -- and write to newspapers and other media outlets to ask them why they're not covering this important story.

The Draft*

$28 million has been added to the 2004 Selective Service System (SSS) budget to prepare for a military draft that could start as early as June 15, 2005. SSS must report to Bush on March 31, 2005 that the system, which has lain dormant for decades, is ready for activation. Please see website: http://www.sss.gov/perfplan_fy2004.html to view the SSS Annual Performance Plan - Fiscal Year 2004.

The Pentagon has quietly begun a public campaign to fill all 10,350 draft board positions and 11,070 appeals board slots nationwide.. Though this is an unpopular election year topic, military experts and influential members of Congress are suggesting that if Rumsfeld's prediction of a "long, hard slog" in Iraq and Afghanistan [and a permanent state of war on "terrorism"] proves accurate, the U.S. may have no choice but to draft.

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article5146.htm

Congress brought twin bills, S. 89 and H.R. 163 forward this year, entitled the Universal National Service Act of 2003, "To provide for the common defense by requiring that all young persons [age 18--26] in the United States, including women, perform a period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes." These active bills currently sit in the Committee on Armed Services.

Dodging the draft will be more difficult than those from the Vietnam era remember. College and Canada will not be options. In December 2001, Canada and the US signed a "Smart Border Declaration," which could be used to keep would-be draft dodgers in. Signed by Canada's Minister of Foreign Affairs, John Manley, and US Homeland Security Director, Gov. Tom Ridge, the declaration involves a 30-point plan which implements, among other things, a "pre-clearance agreement" of people entering and departing each country. Reforms aimed at making the draft more equitable along gender and class lines also eliminates higher education as a shelter. Underclassmen would only be able to postpone service until the end of their cur-rent semester. Seniors would have until the end of the academic year.

*This article by Adam Stutz is from the "What's Hot Off the Press" column of the newsletter of Project Censored, a media research group at Sonoma State University that tracks the news published in independent journals and newsletters. From these, Project Censored compiles an annual list (more than 20 years running) of 25 news stories of social significance that have been overlooked, under-reported, or self-censored by the country's major national news media. The mission of Project Censored is "to educate people about the role of independent journalism in a democratic society and to tell The News That Didn't Make the News and why."

http://www.vancouver.indymedia.org/news/2004/01/105146.php
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,979 • Replies: 50
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 05:02 pm
Wouldn't affect me; too old. But I'm against the war anyhow. You can bet, though, that if a draft comes to be, support for this war would evaporate like an ice cube on a hot sidewalk. In other words, even faster than it's evaporating now!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 05:59 pm
Georgia's Zell Miller, the democrat conservatives love and liberals hate, I believe was the first to mention the possibility that the draft might have to be reinstated. He hastened to add that it would require an act of Congress and the Executive Branch to do that however and it isn't being worked in committee at this time.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 06:17 pm
The draft if it is reinstated is not needed to fight the war on terrorism but to fight Bush's war in Iraq. Would it change my vote NO, since as it stands now I wouldn't vote for Bush to be the local dog catcher. However,if word got out that the draft was to be reinstated Bush would stand as much chance of being reelected as a snowball in hell.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 07:23 pm
I have signed up to be on the draft board should it become necessary.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 06:50 am
McGentrix
Quote:
I have signed up to be on the draft board should it become necessary

How gratifying it is to know you are a patriot and ready to draft our young so that they may be able to fight and die. I am sure they and their parents will thank you for your devoted service.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 07:17 am
McGentrix wrote:
I have signed up to be on the draft board should it become necessary.

McGentrix,

Seems awfully easy to send *others* to fight this war you believe in so strongly.

It would be a true act of patriotism if you would sign yourself up to be in Iraq.

I guess I understand why you admire Bush so much.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 07:23 am
AU is right. Draft and War on Terrorism are unrelated concepts.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 11:52 am
It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it. Maybe you guys need to get in touch with your masculine sides and leave the feminine sides alone for a bit.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 11:58 am
McGentrix wrote:
It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it. Maybe you guys need to get in touch with your masculine sides and leave the feminine sides alone for a bit.

Maybe you can get in touch with a rifle and go do the fighting yourself!
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 12:00 pm
McGentrix wrote:

What an interesting comment coming from someone who has admitted that he was unfit for military service. I hope it just eats at you to know that those of us with whom you so frequently disagree, like Set, and Dys, and Titus, and Pist, and all the rest have actually been in the military, and that several of those mentioned have actually gone to battle, something that only a folol longs for. I hope it gnaws at you that you were not "good" enough to wear the stupid uniform. I hope it makes you cramp up in agony knowing that by your own standards, we are better citizens than you are capable of being, due to your own flaws.
I disagree with Tantor, and Timber, and Tarantula frequently, but I respect their opnions on the military far more than yours, becasue you never served in the military. I have nothing but comtempt for those like you, who seem to so love the thought of war and killing, while remaining secure in the knowledge that they will never have to experience it first hand.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 12:04 pm
double post deleted.
0 Replies

Wilso

Very good points hobitbob. But these discussions are getting too viscious even for my liking today. I'm gonna try to get some sleep and leave you all to it.

Keep the punches above the belt. Night all.
0 Replies

McGentrix

I could give a rat's ass what you think about anything Hobitbob.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 12:05 pm
McGentrix wrote:

That's nice. Tell us all again how, since you were a military dependent that you know "all about what its like to be a soldier." I am curious, what is it like having to go through life knowing you are simply not good enough for one of the basic duties of citizenship?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 12:22 pm
McGentrix wrote:

Laughing I have a feeling you didn't mean that to be funny, but it is. Laughing
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 12:34 pm
I guess having a 100% volunteer army does not work any more.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 12:40 pm
It has been suggested that Charles Rangel, NY, is fanning the draft rumors just to get people worked up and discredit Bush. Looks like it's working.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 12:42 pm
If it's true, that is.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 04:35 pm
Foxfyre
I would opine that the draft rumors are probably being leaked to gage public reaction. The truth is IMO that our armed forces including reserves and national guard will be hard pressed to fill their ranks after this present fiasco. The draft may be the only alternative we will have to fill the ranks of our armed services.
0 Replies