Hurts to inhale?

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2013 12:43 am
I'm 21 years old and go to my doctor every year for my physical. I'm perfectly healthy, but sometimes I get little pains. I always ask my doctor about these little pains out of curiosity and he's been able to identify some of these throughout the years; menstrual cramps, growing pains, gas bubbles. This year, I asked about a sharp pain in my chest.

It doesn't happen regularly; I think the last one I had was 3 years ago. It occurs suddenly. During the pain, it hurts to inhale. As soon as I take one deep breath, it goes away. The whole ordeal occurs during a minute or so; a few seconds to register the pain, a few seconds to inhale deeply to make it go away. What could this be?

I asked my doctor and he checked my lungs and he said there's nothing wrong with them. He said it was just one of those things in life.

I don't do drugs or smoke anything. Also, I don't have any illnesses or diseases and I don't take any medication.

Do you guys know what this is? Is there a name for it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 2,385 • Replies: 10
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2013 01:42 am
@PinkLipstick,
I believe that there just regular muscle cramps. I used to get them once in a very blue moon.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2013 02:21 am
@tsarstepan,
with your menstrual cycle?

I'd eat an extra banana for a while or two...
trying2learn

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2013 02:40 am
@PinkLipstick,
PinkLipstick wrote:
What could this be?
It could be nothing or it could be something. If it continues, then go back to the doctor. Who tagged this as lungs? What do you mean your doctor checked your lungs? What tests were done?

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2013 12:26 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

with your menstrual cycle?

I'd eat an extra banana for a while or two...

Thanks Rockhead.

I walked into that one...
http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Lindsay-Lohan-Facepalm-Gif.gif

I meant... ugh... I just made myself walked into that one again...
http://replygif.net/i/114.gif
0 Replies

PinkLipstick

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2013 01:32 am
@trying2learn,
The usual: he put a stethoscope to my back and asked me to take a deep breath. It's not a question of whether or not I'm healthy, it's more of a question made out of curiosity. I want to know what it's called when those things happen.

Another thing I'd like to know the name of is this: when you lie down and point your big toe down hard as far as you can, why does it hurt in the bottom of your foot? Is that what's called a "muscle cramp"?
PinkLipstick

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2013 02:07 am
@PinkLipstick,
Here's another one: the feeling you get in your chest when someone is hurt, especially when it's someone you care about. It's not painful, it's just there and noticeable and you don't want it. What is it called?

I ask because last night, my mother cut her finger while cooking. There was a lot of blood and when I saw it, I got this feeling in my chest. It's a physical feeling, not something imaginary. I've read books where references have been made to a "pang in the chest" or a "heart clenching" moment, or a "heartache." Is this what they're referring to? Is there an actual name for it?
trying2learn

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2013 11:26 pm
@PinkLipstick,
PinkLipstick wrote:
I've read books where references have been made to a "pang in the chest" or a "heart clenching" moment, or a "heartache." Is this what they're referring to? Is there an actual name for it?
Yes and you answered your own question. It is psychological. It can be called a broken heart (psychological).There is a difference between a psychological pain and a medical pain.
PinkLipstick

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2013 12:27 am
@trying2learn,
Hmm, well, it's not exactly pain. It's just a pang that starts at the center and radiates outward about an inch or so. I wanted to know the proper name for it so that I could learn more about it. I get it often whenever I see someone hurt.

I'm curious to learn how seeing my mom bleeding can cause a real, physical pang in my chest.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2013 12:52 am
@PinkLipstick,
PinkLipstick wrote:

Another thing I'd like to know the name of is this: when you lie down and point your big toe down hard as far as you can, why does it hurt in the bottom of your foot? Is that what's called a "muscle cramp"?

Doesn't hurt the bottom of my foot at all. I get such a severe cramp in my calf it feels like it's going to break a bone. The only cure for me is to scramble out of bed and bear down on the cramping foot and literally force it to return to the normal position.

By the way, that cure hurts. A lot!
PinkLipstick

Reply Wed 20 Nov, 2013 01:58 am
@roger,
Oh! So having a muscle cramp feels like something is out of place? That's what it feels like to me too. Something is out of place in the bottom of my foot. Does this mean that one can induce muscle cramps on themselves?
0 Replies