Scientific studies: Religious people are less intelligent than atheists

Jpsy

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 12:48 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
"When confronted with the order and beauty of the universe and the strange coincidences of nature, it's very tempting to take the leap of faith from science into religion. I am sure many physicists want to. I only wish they would admit it."- Tony Rothman (physicist),Paradigms Lost. New York, Avon Books, p.482-483

6 of the 8 planets (sorry Pluto) in our solar system have moons. Most planets in the universe probably have moons. We are not special in that regard. Of course the earth has conditions conducive to life or we wouldn't be here. It's odds not coincidence. For every planet that is conducive to the evolution of life, there are probably a million that aren't. On some of those one and a million planets that have hospitable conditions, intelligent life may have evolved, and those intelligent beings are probably saying "wow, aren't we special, this isn't just a coincidence." They may have Holy Books telling them how special they are. Most physicists probably realize this, which is why they don't feel the need to make this seemingly inevitable "leap of faith."

Check out my thread "Are We Alone in the Universe"
0 Replies

Jpsy

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 12:55 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
I must say Romeo you are a nice fellow. You are fighting a tough battle here on able2know, and although you will NEVER convince me to be a theist (without some REALLY damn good evidence), I admire you because you are always polite no matter how rude the atheists are to you.
spendius

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 09:56 am
@Jpsy,
Is it not good enough evidence for you Jpsy that atheists could never have provided you with the life-style you enjoy and that they bid fair to change it out of all recognition without the botheration of describing what it will change to?
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 10:39 am
Quote:
Jpsy said: @ RF- you will NEVER convince me to be a theist (without some REALLY damn good evidence)

Just look around at my posts mate and you'll see all the evidence you need in my superhuman God-given wit and intellect..Smile
And check out this vid of me under my strategy gaming name of Poor Old Spike,; note the supremely confident arrogant powerful body language and unearthly swagger (play it fullscreen for maximum dramatic effect)-
Jesus said "I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you" (John 14:20)
"Our gospel came to you not simply with words but also with power" (1 Thess 1:5)
"..as a Christian,thank God you bear that name....that you may stand firm in all the will of God, mature and fully assured" (1 Peter 4:16, Col 4:12)

rosborne979

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 02:17 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
And check out this vid of me under my strategy gaming name of Poor Old Spike,; note the supremely confident arrogant powerful body language and unearthly swagger (play it fullscreen for maximum dramatic effect)-

Nice vid, unfortunately all I could think of was how you had to set up the camera on the ground and walk away to film yourself because you don't even have a friend to hold the camera for you. Poor Old Spike.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 04:25 pm
Quote:
rosborne said: you don't even have a friend to hold the camera for you. Poor Old Spike.

I got lots of mates, my series of sensational aircraft pics have drawn over 3 million views so far..Smile

WW2 AIRCRAFT
http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=ForumsPro&file=viewforum&f=92

1920's/30's AIRCRAFT
http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=ForumsPro&file=viewtopic&t=16352

WW1 AIRCRAFT
http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=ForumsPro&file=viewtopic&t=16323

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub4/B25-radar.jpg
gungasnake

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 04:34 pm
@PetriFB,
Quote:
...In America Rochester's university has been made scientific studies and analysis led by Professor Miron Zuckerman, which claims that religious people are less intelligent than non-believers....

All that intelligence is gonna do em a whole lotta good when their asses are sizzling in a frying pan, isn't it? I mean, that's even if you assume that bullshit is true...

0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 04:35 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Neat plane on the carrier there. What exactly is it?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 04:47 pm
To see what happens to Brad (the atheist with the big brain), check out Quinton Tarantino's "Pulp Fiction"...
0 Replies

Jpsy

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 05:07 pm
@spendius,
I don't really follow what you're saying , but just remembering what you've said in previous posts I'll try to guess.
Just because I am an atheist doesn't mean I'm for unrestrained sexual promiscuity. I'm not. Because of mathematics we have equations that describe how quickly populations can double and I am well aware of geometric growth and the fact that we will be facing overpopulation in the future. Birth control is one of the best solutions to that problem which was provided by science and manufacturing. Also, just because I'm an atheist does not mean I want some kind of brave new world-type society. Science is neutral. It can be used for good or for evil depending on whose in power. I'm not a communist by any means, but capitalism has led to the most ruthless, cunning sociopaths controlling monopolies in almost every sector in society. Because of these people we are spending trillions of dollars using science to find ways to better kill people in wars or spy on people. If there were better people in charge now, all of that money might have gone into curing cancer and colonizing Mars. If I were in charge it would have.
Let us not take science for granted. During the time of Jesus, the average life span was around 30. Now it's close to 80. You and I would already be dead if it weren't for science. I am sitting in my house insulated from the cold, with more than enough food to eat. You and I are conversing now because of this amazing technology called the computer and the internet.
spendius

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 06:11 pm
@Jpsy,
Oh--so the computer and the internet just grew on a tree did it?

Quote:
Just because I am an atheist doesn't mean I'm for unrestrained sexual promiscuity.

Why not? It's an attractive idea surely? What has shagging got to do with the number of births. Sexually active females are shagged a lot more than 2.1 times during their reproductive cycle. Once a week for 30 years is 1,500 and that's the bottom end I presume.

Why do you think it took so long for the human race to discover there was a connection at all between shagging and births. If the primitives are anything to go by it looks like the introduction of artificial birth control is a serious population exploder.

Quote:
Also, just because I'm an atheist does not mean I want some kind of brave new world-type society.

It is of no consequence what you want jpsy. It is what we will get. All of us.

Quote:
If there were better people in charge now, all of that money might have gone into curing cancer and colonizing Mars. If I were in charge it would have.

Perhaps that is one of the reasons you are not in charge. You need to remember that the ones in charge were voted for in a free and democratic election held every four years to minimise the risk of anybody getting too addicted to being in charge.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 06:48 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Easily the best collection of aviation pics I've ever come across, congratulations.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 09:03 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Look a the amount of room in the interior....

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/CMSF/s38e.gif

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/CMSF/s38f.gif

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/CMSF/s38g.gif

Obviously, if anybody had suggested a ride in one of today's aircraft to any of those passengers, they'd have told him to get bent.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 07:00 am
Quote:
Gungasnake said: @RF- Easily the best collection of aviation pics I've ever come across, congratulations.

Thanks mate, I enlarge and computer-enhance all the pics i find on the net, hell will freeze before I ever post a small dull boring pic..Smile
Some have got no captions like that B-25, so all we know is that it's a B-25 with a radar in the nose.
Join the Mission4Today forum if you like so you can ask questions or comment on the planes like the members do.
Incidentally that Sikorsky seaplane is an add-on for Flight Sim X which I've been playing for years. I also play IL-2 (WW2) and Wings over Europe (jets) flight sims.

PS- I've got a mixed bag thread of WW2 tanks, infantry and artillery here-
http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?104031-WW2-Photos
spendius

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 11:57 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
They are all boring pics Romeo.

You started something interesting yesterday and dropped it like a hot potato when I encouraged you.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 03:32 pm
Quote:
spendius said: @RF- You started something interesting yesterday and dropped it like a hot potato when I encouraged you

Sorry for neglecting your spiritual welfare mate, i've been looking back through some of my posts in this thread and am not sure which one you're referring to.
For example in one I said-
Most religionists are close-minded dumb clucks who prefer to let their chosen religion do their thinking for 'em, and as a result their brains turn to mush because they're never used, so on the "intelligence" scale they rank somewhere down among the trilobites.

Do you disagree with that?
Smileyrius

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 06:52 pm
The explanation in my brain is as follows

A smarter person will question what they are taught, they will point out logical fallacies and refuse anything that just sounds stupid.

I was quite a difficult child, and tend to ask a lot of questions, and yet I received many answers such as "we can but know Gods ways, it is a mystery" and "you must trust that God has the answer" made me down right furious. I used to pray to God asking him why he appointed idiots
I ended up realising that there truly are a lot of airheads in religion who ride along on the emotional opium that religions create, most of whom seem to rise up the heirarchy. I could very well have been atheist myself had I not started studying and gathering my own answers

I'd hazard a guess and say more intelligent people are Atheists mostly because they ask more questions and get more stupid answers.

I imagine most Atheists are first or second generation Atheists, however the simple minded folk are likely to follow whatever they have been brought up to believe. so while Religious families are dominant, so will the intelligence curve lean toward the atheists.
neologist

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 01:33 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
I learned long ago that considering a person beneath one, due to intelligence issues, almost always backfires.
I'll second you on that one, Edgar.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 05:25 am
Incidentally if there are going to be boring eggheads and boffins in heaven I swear to God I don't wanna go..Smile
I only want to spend eternity with people like Father Ted and Dougal-

Jesus said:- "I thank you Father for hiding these things from the wise and learned, and for revealing them to little children"(Matt 11:25-27)
"And the common people heard him gladly" (Mark 12:37)
"When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus" (Acts 4:13)
"I love the law of God because its made me wiser than all my teachers" (Psalm 119:97-100)
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 06:45 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
Sorry for neglecting your spiritual welfare mate, i've been looking back through some of my posts in this thread and am not sure which one you're referring to.

There's no call to apologise mate. I'm not into spiritual welfare. I was referring to the post in which you showed a distinct preference for white women and with which I agreed. I think it is an interesting subject and given your statements regarding others having no profile I was surprised you didn't pursue the matter.

It was on the "Can humans be divided into species" thread which is a particularly tricky subject for politically correct liberals who lay claim to an understanding of Darwin's theories and methods. Perhaps that is why no liberals have taken an interest. Only gungasnake, who is not keen on liberals.

I do disagree with the statement about religionists. It is way over the top but that does not prevent it being amusing. It is also a gross teleology because your conclusion--that their brains turn to mush--which is incorrect because brains are mush as a matter of course and mush doesn't "turn" to mush--is based on your observation of the exterior of religionists and conditioned by your desire to rush to the judgement you rushed to. Which gives it a circularity.

There is a sense in which you are asserting that the brains of children, before they are old enough to come under religious influence, are not mush, or, to be coherent, the purest type of mush, the tabula rasa idea, and that is a bit far-fetched from what I have seen of the darling little monsters. (Ref--Huxley's nursery scene in BNW where electric shock is used to straighten the mush out in the appropriate manner).

So--does our preference for white women predate our conditioning or is it a biological determinant?

Which also pertains to the topic in a way that might cause it to be too contemptible for liberals to consider giving it their attention.
0 Replies