It sounds not so natural in English to me. What do you say?

timur

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 02:39 pm
@contrex,
I believe he is Swiss. I can be wrong, though..

Prof. Dr. Ugo Fisch
contrex

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 02:59 pm
@timur,
timur wrote:

Prof. Dr. Ugo Fisch

In the magazine of The Hong Kong College of Otorhinolaryngologists he is described as the "legendary Prof Ugo Fisch", so praise from him must be a very precious thing.

roger

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 04:09 pm
@contrex,
You Go Fish sounds like a childs card game.
0 Replies

trying2learn

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 06:25 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:
You provided an image (picture) of the text. It cannot be copied as text, edited or spell checked.
Good, it wasn't meant to be edited, copied or checked.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 06:35 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Ori, not your doing but many such links don't permit highlight-copy by the usu means

Wondering whether "operating theater" and "temporal bone lab" oughttabe cap

operating theater
n.
a room in a hospital equipped for the performance of surgical operations
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 06:37 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

I would bet money the writer is not a native English speaker. I have used an OCR program on the image file that was linked to.

Dear Zengmin,
It was a great pleasure to have Dr. Yucheng Wang with us until the end of October. Dr. Wang has been very assiduous in the operating theatre of the Lucerne Hospital and in the temporal bone laboratory. He has a very bright and well prepared mind. One could see that he had a good teacher in Shanghai! He has achieved some exemplary temporal bones preparations illustrating the various surgical procedures seen during his fellowship. He has worked in two occasions a full day with me in the temporal bone lab in order to learn the techniques of drilling for the infratemporal approaches. I have admired is quick grasp of clinical situations and his excellent technical skills. I am sure Dr. Wang will be of great help in your institution because of his dedication, natural skills and great urge to achieve perfection in his clinical work. On top of this he is a very well educated, reliable and straightforward person. Congratulation for having discovered and trained such a good otologic surgeon. He has a great future in front.

Very cool.
I wonder we can get the OCR program as well? Online downloading for free?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 06:38 pm
@trying2learn,
trying2learn wrote:

Roger
Those are also what stood out to me. I don't know if oristarA wants British English or American English.

British English please.

The letter by Contrex's OCR program:

Quote:

Dear Zengmin,
It was a great pleasure to have Dr. Yucheng Wang with us until the end of October. Dr. Wang has been very assiduous in the operating theatre of the Lucerne Hospital and in the temporal bone laboratory. He has a very bright and well prepared mind. One could see that he had a good teacher in Shanghai! He has achieved some exemplary temporal bones preparations illustrating the various surgical procedures seen during his fellowship. He has worked in two occasions a full day with me in the temporal bone lab in order to learn the techniques of drilling for the infratemporal approaches. I have admired is quick grasp of clinical situations and his excellent technical skills. I am sure Dr. Wang will be of great help in your institution because of his dedication, natural skills and great urge to achieve perfection in his clinical work. On top of this he is a very well educated, reliable and straightforward person. Congratulation for having discovered and trained such a good otologic surgeon. He has a great future in front.
roger

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 06:40 pm
@oristarA,
I don't know that I can be of further help with British.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 06:41 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

"He has worked in two occasions a full day with me. . . ."

Awkward indeed! How about "He has worked two full days with me"?

Does the new version sound as if in only one occasion that he worked for two days in a row with "me"?

"He has a great future in front."

In front of what? Maybe "He has a great future in front of him"?

Yes, you've taken the words out of my mouth.
PS: I don't claim perfect spelling, or whatever. Just working with the original request.

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 06:42 pm
@trying2learn,
trying2learn wrote:

I understand the meaning.The are some misspelled words."he" is used alot and maybe it can be condensed.

Condense it PLEASE.
oristarA

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 07:05 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

contrex wrote:

I would bet money the writer is not a native English speaker.

I expect Ugo Fisch is a German speaking Swiss.

Online information shows that:

Professor Ugo Fisch, MD Emeritus Professor of Otolaryngology, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland (Founding Editor)

Any further search for this man's biograpy (which will include his early life) will be appreciated here.

I wonder, however, whether the letter is forged by some other.
0 Replies

trying2learn

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 07:08 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
Condense it PLEASE.
No because that would be cheating. It is either your work or someone else's. If you truly want to learn, then do it yourself and post it again.
oristarA

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 07:13 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

timur wrote:

Prof. Dr. Ugo Fisch

In the magazine of The Hong Kong College of Otorhinolaryngologists he is described as the "legendary Prof Ugo Fisch", so praise from him must be a very precious thing.

Can you read Swiss? Even Google Translator failed to do that.

Any English version.
SamSingh78

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2013 05:06 am
@PUNKEY,
Your link doesn't open here dear.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2013 05:25 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

contrex wrote:

timur wrote:

Prof. Dr. Ugo Fisch

Can you read Swiss? Even Google Translator failed to do that.

Any English version.

English version of what?

There is no such language as "Swiss". In Switzerland there are four official languages: French, German, Italian and Romansch. The last is a Romance language descended from the language of the late Roman Empire. It is spoken in a small part of Switzerland. Since Lucerne (Luzern) is in the German speaking part, I expect the texts you have seen are in that language.

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2013 03:30 am
@trying2learn,
trying2learn wrote:

oristarA wrote:
Condense it PLEASE.
No because that would be cheating. It is either your work or someone else's. If you truly want to learn, then do it yourself and post it again.

I feel it is quite hard to get rid of the pile of "he"s. A difficult task indeed. But I wonder whether Contrex will give us a favor.
0 Replies