technology and the effects in society

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2013 10:33 am
Hello, I need help writing my thesis statement. I think it's too "broad" and I want to make it more specific.

Here's my thesis:

Although technology is beneficial to society, it has the power to destroy what it means to be human.

thesis question:

Sherry Turkle, in her essay "Alone Together," contends that "[t]echnology is seductive when what it offers meets our human vulnerabilities" (263). Thus, we have given technology power to order our lives and, to a degree, intrude on our day to day lives.

Further, Lauren Slater, in "Who Holds the Clicker," illustrates the complex questions pertaining to human will and identity that are raised when the line between the computer and the human being becomes blurred. She states that, at least for Mario, technology can be a "strange sort of bondage" (243).

Humanity has unleashed a new way of seeing itself, a new mirror so to speak, and the reflection is often a gadget of some sort. And, the more we develop new ideas and ways of transforming our world, the more these changes become 'fads' that can spread, carrying with them myriad ethical and moral questions.

Indeed, should our love for the computer reach a point where its uses and applications reach deeply into our own sense of 'humanness' that it significantly transforms what it means to be human, we might find ourselves, as a specie, unprepared for the consequences.

Using Turkle and Slater:
1. To what extent do scientific, medical, and technological advancements and possibilities have the potential to transform the human experience?
2. What aspects of our humanness, our authenticity, do we stand to lose by embracing the radical changes to our world that the merging of technology with every aspect of humanity?
3. To what degree might the merger of technology with humanity change what it means to be authentically human?

Thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,979 • Replies: 1
No top replies

whiteboyyy

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 02:28 pm
@dreamliner787,
i need help with this too, do you happen to have the essay so i can get ideas from it?
0 Replies