Marine friend planning to go AWOL. Advice?

suzy

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 02:05 pm
I saw him today, just back on leave from the marines. He was wearing an Operation Iraqi Freedom T-shirt. He commented that many of the guys in his division (or whatever you call it) refer to it as "Operation Iraqi Liberation", or "O-I-L". He's been a marine for a couple of years now.
He said he's not planning to go back. I expressed concern about that (as well as the alternative) and he said he'll do whatever it takes to avoid going back to Iraq, change his name, etc. He was in Kuwait, but is pretty certain he'll be headed to Fallujah. He said "I don't see anything about this "conflict" worth dying for. It's Bush's war, not mine". I guess he is getting pretty scared, as most of us are.
So I'm starting to think: What advice can I give him?
Send him to Canada?
Maybe there's a peace group who can help him?
I won't even try to talk him into going back. He's a young man barely old enough to drink, and he has fought and killed in Iraq before going to Kuwait. I'm not sure exactly how serious he is about this.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,142 • Replies: 83
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 02:07 pm
Oh man, poor kid. I dunno what advice I'd give him. Or you. I know it's not as easy to move to canada as it used to be.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 02:29 pm
If he's old enough to be in the military, he's old enough to make his own choices. And to live with the consequences thereof. Prior to making the choice he seems inclined toward, he would be wise to thoroughly explore and understand the consequences of that choice, both for himself and for those close to him, family and otherwise. He can do as he wishes, but he should positively know exactly what it is he contemplates doing, and why. The ramifications are irrevocably life-altering, and not confined merely to himself.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 02:32 pm
If he goes awol, and is evetually found, that is a felony. If Bush is re-elected (appointed) it may become desertion, which can have the death penalty. There is no easy answer. He seems to have a choice between death or wounding in Iraq, death or wounding in a federal prison, or death. My condolences.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 02:42 pm
When a family member deserted during Vietnam I did all I could to help his decision. I was sure that he was 100% committed first, though. I tried to convince him to go to Canada, but, he hid out (in plain sight) for nine years before some spineless person gave him up. He spent 3 months in Leavenworth.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 02:49 pm
I don't see the choices being quite so limited as you present, hbob ... among other considerations, the casualty rate in Iraq is among the very lowest ever encountered in any conflict which has involved US military personnel.

Something else I must observe; the military is an organization the prime function of which is to provide a body of individuals tasked with obeying orders, participating in hazardous pursuits, and waging war. The US military as currently constituted is wholly voluntary ... an elective vocation. For one to voluntarily contract oneself to such an organization only to become disenchanted when called upon to discharge one's contracted, and clearly understood, obligations pursuant to that freely-entered contract is nothing short of mind-bogglingly short-sighted and inexcusably stupid.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 03:15 pm
he's old enough to make his own decision, but as noted above he should fully understand the consequences of his actions.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 03:19 pm
This is never a good idea for a man/woman to go
AWOL.

Once it's on your record, it's forever and such a notation can hurt in later life, when seeking out employment.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 03:31 pm
There are any number of minor infractions that would earn him a dishonorable discharge. For starters, he could swing at his NCO.

Yes, a dishonorable discharge would be on his record for the rest of his life--but it would not be a felony.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 03:43 pm
It' wouldn't be a felony, but Americans have a definite dislike for men/women who vacate the military as AWOL.
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 03:44 pm
I hope he spends the rest of his life in prison. Deserters should be tortured to death, along with anyone who helped them.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 03:49 pm
Jarlaxle wrote:
I hope he spends the rest of his life in prison. Deserters should be tortured to death, along with anyone who helped them.

I figured it wouldn't take long for the slime to ooze from the woodwork. Sad
Come back to reality, this is not the SCA! Mad
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 03:50 pm
Suzy,

First, my heart goes out to your friend. I can't imagine what he is going through, or what I would do were I in his position.

I know that there are groups who will provide moral and legal support to your friend.

I would start with the American Friends Service Community. This is an arm of the Quaker church (a very progressive religious community that is central in the peace movement).

They will provide legal counsel and support. As others have noted this is a very serious decision that has consequences both ways.

Your friend should definately get advice and help before he makes this decision. There may be some way for him to make his decision a bit easier.

A link to the AFSC is www.afsc.org. I would use the "resources" link to find the appropriate regional office. I know that they will be helpful.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 03:51 pm
Jarlaxle wrote:

Fine. Where do I sign up?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 03:53 pm
Mmm Mmm. That man has a murderous heart, wishing that I'd be tortured to death. I forgive him, for he knows not what it is that he's a doin'.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 03:55 pm
Idiocy is peculiar to no one ideology.
0 Replies

Titus

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 04:11 pm
Suzy:

Your friend is smart and wise. Unlike Bush, who is neither. I suggest Canada -- it's a nation that's provided safe harbor to people like your friend for decades. Especially, during the first Vietnam War.

Good luck to him.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 04:21 pm
Titus, I don't think Canada is a good idea at the moment.
EB's suggestion about contacting the Quakers is probably the best track.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 04:24 pm
Heavy
Those who wrote about heavy consequences are correct. He must go back. Before he does so he should get legal advice. There are ways to recieve an General Discharge under Honorable Conditions. He must find out the method of obtaining one of those. This process would take about 6 months but is a much better alternative than desertion.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 04:28 pm
"For one to voluntarily contract oneself to such an organization only to become disenchanted when called upon to discharge one's contracted, and clearly understood, obligations pursuant to that freely-entered contract is nothing short of mind-bogglingly short-sighted and inexcusably stupid."

Well, he's been upholding his obligations for quite some time, though. It's not as if he never did any of his marine duties. Perhaps this is a reason why young people shouldn't be recruited or allowed to sign up for military duty? I don't see what's mind-boggling about someone being scared out of their wits after doing the job for over a year and being aware of the dangers, really. He is young, and he has had it. This is an example of people growing and changing, as they are inclined to do.
I also now feel that they should have the option of signing up one year at a time.
As far as three months in the hoosegow, I think that would be quite an acceptable trade-off to facing death on a daily basis, don't you?
Another option would be if they were allowed to trade places with armchair soldiers who think he's the spawn of satan for being scared!
What are the real alternatives? Stay and fight for Bush, kill human beings, and possibly be killed or maimed at any time, or take a chance and just go away?
Those who would mock him and wish torture on him are perhaps unable to grasp the ramifications of what he is facing back in Iraq. He knows, much better than YOU or I. It is not an easy choice for him, despite the options available: Face life or face brutality and possible death.
And in my opinion, this isn't America's war, but Bush's, and he's only deserting the president. He can go this way, or he can join the 600 dead already. Somehow the war goes on without them.
America will not be harmed by his "deserting".

ebrown, thank you. My dad used to work for the Friends. They are indeed a good resource.
0 Replies