Americans, Canadians and Brits: have you heard of this word?

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 12:11 pm
Hello people! I'm am English language student in the UK (although I am not English so please excuse my poor grammar!) and been set an assignment for slang in English-speaking countries. This place it seem like a fantastic opportunity to begin, so I wonder if you might be able to answer me one simple question?

I notice English-speaking countries is very different but they share some slang words. Recently in the UK they celebrate the Grand National - a big horse racing event. I watch it and I hear some the commentators refer the horses in the word "gee-gee's". To me this sound like British word very typical.

But have anyone in America or Canada recognize this word, and if yes, you say it much?

Thanks!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 968 • Replies: 14
No top replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 12:23 pm
Gee gees --------- the phrase was/is used by children. Also used by bookmakers. Perhaps came from the trem, Giddy Up, used by riders to get a horse moving, along with a kick in the flanks.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 01:02 pm
As a citizen of the United States, well read in murder mysteries written on both sides of the Atlantic, I recognized the term immediately.

I don't talk much about horse racing, but if I did I'd not be likely to use the term "gee-gees".
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 01:14 pm
Welcome to A2K, Dot Dot Dot!

Olk is ("naturally" :wink: ) correct.

You can find this approved at A dictionary of slang.

(BTW: this dictionary and a lot of other interested links are to be found in the PORTAL )
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 01:30 pm
Walter -------- thank you for your endorsement.
Ha ha, you probably know more about the Small Islands than I do.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 01:36 pm
oldandknew wrote:

Ha ha, you probably know more about the Small Islands than I do.

Well, since I live on another shore of the Mare Germanicus ... :wink:
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 01:41 pm
I seem to recall the term being used among Damon Runyan's racetrack aficionados.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 01:46 pm
Flyboy--

I think it may also be in the "book" of Guys and Dolls. I simply don't travel in those circles.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 01:48 pm
In the Gilbert and Sullivan operetta, Pirates of Penzance, you'll hear the Major General repeat in song "You'll say a better Major-General has never sat a Gee." (Which is fun to try and say quickly several times.) Anyway, the Gee means horse, the entire phrase means sitting astride a horse.

There are lots of possible connections, among them, that a farmer says Gee and Haw to make a horse he's driving turn right or left and Get-up.

Etymology discussion of Gee and Haw
Quote:
So when a farmer calls haw and gee to his horses, he is etymologically saying hey and go!
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 01:59 pm
Ha ha Walter, what is the Dutch name for the Mare Germanicus.

Perhaps Brussels will rename it The Euro Channel.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 02:20 pm
Until you keep your 'Dover sole' and "the others" their 'sole de Calais' ... :wink:
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 09:26 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
A dictionary of slang.

(BTW: this dictionary and a lot of other interested links are to be found in the PORTAL )

I found "get" listed there, which meant "git". The definition did cracked me up! Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 05:30 pm
In Canada, and in a number of the other colonies - the G.G. is the governor-general (the queen's rep at the federal level, and in effect the leader of the government).

Political reporters refer to events at the G.G's - which means (here) - what is Adrienne Clarkson (our current governor general) up to now. We also have lieutenant-governors here, who are the Queen's reps at the provincial level.

The G.G.'s are Governor Generals awards for writing here.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 05:49 pm
I am a midwest US horse owner, not involved in racing. I can't recall ever hearing the term "gee gees".
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 06:06 pm
Equus -- but you have heard of Gee and Haw and giddy-up or even heard a slurred Gee'dyup, right?

Quote:
Gee-Gee (dgi-dgi) a horse

...that was from the OED which had several literary references. It is described as a reduplication of Gee and was originally a children's term. First reference is BLACKMORE, Lorna D, lxx -- "The Great Gee-Gee, as all the small ones entitled me."

Here's the entire quote from Lorna Doone:
Classic Reader website

Quote:
Nevertheless, the way in which the children made me useful proved also of some use to me; for their mothers were so pleased by the exertions of the 'great Gee-gee'--as all the small ones entitled me--that they gave me unlimited power and authority over their husbands; moreover, they did their utmost among their relatives round about, to fetch recruits for our little band. And by such means, several of the yeomanry from Barnstaple, and from Tiverton, were added to our number; and inasmuch as these were armed with heavy swords, and short carabines, their appearance was truly formidable.
0 Replies