Grammar help, which is correct?

tamfl24

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 08:52 am
Which is correct and sounds appropriate for a thesis statement?
Thesis Statement:
Road safety requires a driver to be in good health and control. Therefore, as the senior population increases, states should push for mandatory driving tests and screenings. (2 sentences)
Road safety requires a driver to be in good health and control, as the senior population increases, states should push for mandatory driving tests and screenings. (comma splice?)
Road safety requires a driver to be in good health and control; therefore, as the senior population increases, states should push for mandatory driving tests and screenings.
Therefore, road safety requires a driver to be in good health and control, as the senior population increases, states should push for mandatory driving tests and screenings.
Road safety requires a driver to be in good health and control; therefore, as the senior population increases, states should push for mandatory driving tests and screenings.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,056 • Replies: 10
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 01:11 pm
@tamfl24,
Quote:
Road safety requires a driver to be in good health and control. Therefore, as the senior population increases, states should push for mandatory driving tests and screenings. (2 sentences)
I might have written, "…in control at all times" or something to that effect

I would have omitted the first comma if not the second
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 01:18 pm
@tamfl24,
Quote:
Road safety requires a driver to be in good health and control, as the senior population increases, states should push for mandatory driving tests and screenings. (comma splice?)
No, ™, you just can't

It isd as wrong as the editing routine that changes "Tm" to "™" when little finger fails the "a" or doesn't recognize "isd" as the most common misspelling of "is"
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 01:37 pm
@tamfl24,
Quote:
Therefore, road safety requires a driver to be in good health and control, as the senior population increases, states should push for mandatory driving tests and screenings.
No way

Because road safety requires a driver to be in good health and control, as the senior population increases states should push for mandatory driving tests and screenings. Since we don't know the context this might not convey the same meaning. Note however that I've removed the second comma for reasons subtle and not easily explained but which superior intellects like S. or JTT within the realm of concern might better explain

Therefore, road safety requires a driver to be in good health and control as the senior population increases. So states should push for mandatory driving tests and screenings. Tam, with this last one I'm sort of kidding because obviously road safety requires the driver to be well regardless of the senior population

One could argue tho, that it's true to the extent the senior population increases the total number of drivers

But you can see how important context. By actual count your sentence could be adjusted to convey 92 different meanings (give or take 1 or 2 depending on your religion)
tamfl24

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 02:00 pm
@dalehileman,
Funny that something so simple can turn into something so complex, thank you for your help Smile
dalehileman

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 02:24 pm
@tamfl24,
Quote:
Funny that something so simple can turn into something so complex,
Excessive complexity has always been one of my foibles

Quote:
thank you for your help
For what it's worth

Please feel free to inquire, dispute, challenge, confront, impugn
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 05:34 pm

"In good health and control" is not a handy phrase.
Work out what you are trying to say, then say it more clearly.
0 Replies

Dreyk

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2013 09:58 am
Hello!

I am freaked out by reading:

"Please see below email."
"See below data."
"The below employees..."

in emails that I receive everyday. Are the above sentences correct? They sound so unnatural!

If it is wrong, can you help explain in simple english? Very Happy I could then explain that using such is wrong.

Thanks!
Setanta

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2013 10:37 am
@Dreyk,
I wouldn't say that it is incorrect, but it certainly is awkward, and i suspect that you are receiving such email either from people who are not native speakers of English, or native speakers of English who are poorly read and educated.

"Please see the email below."
"See the data below."
"The below named employees (or below listed employees)."

These would all be better alternatives. However, i also suspect that you will see awkward usages such as you have listed again and again.
McTag

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2013 12:49 pm
@Setanta,
"See above" and "see below" are quite common, and so "see email above" and "see data below" are logically (and stylistically?) acceptable, although I agree they sound a bit awkward.
0 Replies

Dreyk

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2013 05:23 pm
Thank you both for replying. I appreciate it. Smile
0 Replies