The indefinite article

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2013 06:15 am
Hi fellow forum members,

Even though I'd say my English is pretty good, every once in a while I find myself confused on the proper use of certain words/grammatical structures. Just today, I found myself again wondering about when to include and when not to include the indefinite article a/an (a recurring issue for me it seems). I was writing and couldn't decide whether:

In this regard XXX, will serve as a case study allowing the student to blah blah blah

or

In this regard XXX, will serve as case study allowing the student to blah blah blah

Can anyone help me explain which one is correct and why?

Regards,
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 539 • Replies: 6
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2013 11:40 am
@topandkas,
Wow Top that's a tough one, even for somebody like me who's spent a lifetime in the field of journ. The difference is very subtle: Without "a," we might infer a number of other similar case studies having a different conclusion

Maybe S. or JTT will provide a response in language more technical

But the first comma has to go
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2013 12:24 pm
This is arcane knowledge--not something you can intuit, and not something for which there is necessarily a rule. For two exampels: "That's interesting, but it is not to the point, it's fodder for a different discussion."; and, "I cant agree with you at all, but it's not germane to this topic, it's meat for another argument." No indefinite article is used in either case.

In French, where an English speaker would use "to" after a verb and preceding another verb, the French will use either de or à. There is no rule governing the usage, it's arcane knowledge--you just have to learn it. That is the case here, you just have to learn with each locution whether an indefinite article is used or not.
JTT

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2013 09:08 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
For two exampels: "That's interesting, but it is not to the point, it's fodder for a different discussion."; and, "I cant agree with you at all, but it's not germane to this topic, it's meat for another argument." No indefinite article is used in either case.

I'm confused. Perhaps McTag will wander along to straighten things out.

I wonder what the bold and underlined 'a' is in the first example, if not an indefinite article. In the second example would there ever be an indefinite article with 'another'?

0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 02:21 am
@topandkas,

Quote:
which one is correct and why?

Neither is incorrect imho, it's a matter of style I think.
I prefer the former.

Dale is correct (how many times can you say that?), the first comma has to go.
0 Replies

topandkas

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 02:50 am
Thank you so much everyone, I really appreciate all of your answers. For now we may conclude that both are correct although some of you seem to prefer to include the indefinite article.

As for my random commas, they really ARE random hahhaha. I never learned the proper way to use commas in English so I tend to leave them out altogether unless it "feels right". Very Happy Hahaha

Maybe some of you can link me to a forum/site where I can read up on the fundamentals!?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2013 08:48 am
@topandkas,
Quote:
In this regard XXX, will serve as a case study allowing the student to blah blah blah

or

In this regard, XXX will serve as a case study allowing the student to blah blah blah

It depends on the situation and very likely the choice of words.

In this regard, the assigned readings will serve as discussion allowing the student to blah blah blah

or

In this regard, the assigned readings will serve as a discussion allowing the student to blah blah blah

Try some real life examples, Topandkas.
0 Replies