Easter Briefing

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 07:45 am
I listened to the military briefing to the press this morning and where we are still under fire and what we are doing in Iraq. The one thing the officer was absolutely adament about is there are pockets of resistance here and there in Iraq but these are a tiny minority. The vast majority of the 25 million people of Iraq are not angry or hostile toward the USA or the others of the coalition troops. This is so even in Fallujah. The USA and coalition troops are doing everything they can to minimize civilian deaths and they are not commiting any war crimes of any kind.

He specifically referenced the mosques. The insurgents attack from a mosque to wreck as much havoc as they can, including the killing of civilians who get caught in the crossfire. Then, when we break down a wall of the mosque and squelch the attack, they use this as proof that we are destroying Islamic churches and killing civilians.

This is not being reported by the press, however. He said it would be a huge help to the total effort if there was more balanced and accurate reporting re the situation there and if it was being reported more honestly that the whole country is not at war in Iraq. He did not attempt to minimize the difficulty of tracking down the insurgents who do not wish for Iraq to be a free and independent country and are doing their worst to stop that from happening.

It saddened me that this report was necessary on Easter Sunday morning. Nevertheless, Happy Easter to Christian friends in this forum.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 853 • Replies: 15
No top replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 07:49 am
Yes, so sad. The Vatican was under high alert as the Pope led Easter worship. Rome was considered a major target the Easter period.

Happy Easter all -but I guess everything will be right with the US since the President had proclaimed God on our side.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 07:57 am
JoanneDorel wrote:

Happy Easter all -but I guess everything will be right with the US since the President had proclaimed God on our side.

Very Happy
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 07:59 am
Hey Wilso, Happy Easter. Long time no see.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 08:05 am
Thanks JD. I've been around, wot about you? Having an enjoyable weekend?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 08:07 am
Well I was computerless for several months. Got tons of stuff done since I was not able to A2k.

We are in for soggy raining easter here in Dallas. But that is a good thing we need the rain. But not the cold. Everything was switched to air instead of heat a couple of weeks ago and now we are all freezing.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 08:11 am
I was computerless for 2 weeks once, and nearly went out of my mind. Glad you're back.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 08:17 am
Thanks me too.
0 Replies

Titus

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 09:55 am
All's Well in Iraq -- Just Ask the Dead
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 10:18 am
I think the truth lies somewhere in between, but hopefully is closer to the military briefing than not.
But then again, the military has their own ass to protect.
Just saw a commercial for the National Guard.
"Protect your state. usually one weekend a month and one week in the summer. Pay for college"
Uhhuh.
0 Replies

Titus

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 11:36 am
With cuts to Pell grants and rising unemployment, suddenly the military looks attractive to a segment of society.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 11:42 am
So, Suzy. Which did your son finally decide on, Harvard, or the Army? I'm remembering an old Abuzz discussion, and hope I haven't confused you with someone else.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 01:46 pm
Discussionpoint: if the American army stays, there will be more and more American dead; if the American army leaves, the killing of American stops...but that would mean, like a good friend of mine says, "running away from the terrorists". Solution? I suddenly remember a song. "Should I stay or should I go?"
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 01:53 pm
hey, Roger! Yeah. He chose none of the above and became a town worker! He's doing really well.
BTW, the Harvard thing was just an athletic offer.
but a mother can dream...!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 04:46 pm
They've got no choice but to stay. They've wrecked that country and now it's their responsibility to fix it. I just don't think they've got it in 'em.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 01:31 pm
True but will the American public again accept 600 American dead?
0 Replies