Guide Horses?

pueo

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 08:26 pm
i've never heard of this before, but living in the middle of the pacific that's not unusual. i came across this and at first thought it was a hoax.

is this real?
guide horses
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 814 • Replies: 9
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 08:37 pm
Blimey! I would have thought horses were too flighty for this!!! But it makes sense, I guess.
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 11:40 pm
It is no hoax. However, like guide dogs one can find exceptionally quiet horses for the job. My concern really lies with the horse's happiness in an urban setting. Not fair to the animal.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 11:49 pm
thanks wenchilina, i wonder if they consider the setting?
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 01:01 am
what's with the shoes? i'll assume there are no horse shoes that small.

http://www.guidehorse.org/images/cuddles1.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 01:46 am
Well, there are miniature horses - as guide horses- with and without shoes:

http://www.hengstseite.ch/userfiles/artikel_heh_ms/bilder/guidehorse_boston2.jpghttp://www.hengstseite.ch/userfiles/artikel_heh_ms/bilder/guidehorse_16.jpg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 01:56 am
The little shoes are prolly for indoor work?

I was cross about the bit about the horses benefitting from finding a "higher" calling - 'orses loves to eat and f*** and play wiv other 'orses and boss other 'orses around and sun themselves and scritch themselves and be scritched by others and run around a bit....they don't NEED a higher calling.

That being said, with companionship and exercise and good tucker, I guess they would be pretty happy!

I don't think they look like they need big yards to run around in.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 06:20 am
I believe the shoes are for traction indoors.

The main advantage of guide horses over guide dogs is that apparently they live a lot longer.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 06:24 am
jespah wrote:

The main advantage of guide horses over guide dogs is that apparently they live a lot longer.

The may certainly live longer (much longer, indeed), and hopefully work longer as well.
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 12:15 pm
Those shoes are infant's sneakers ( literally ).

They may be small but they still do need company with other horses, plenty of grass to graze on .. their small size certainly does not take away from their basic needs which imo cannot be met in an urban setting.
0 Replies