Can you check my grammar please ? (2)

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2013 05:14 pm
Hello, I am French and I have some English homework. Can you correct my English please ? Thank you !

British had a bad rep stemming in part from its thriving economy and its
industrial Revolution in which new technologies, major science and improved advances occurred explain how proud they behave during the Victorian age. The rise of the middle class generated a literate new social group and the novel that deals with contemporary problems in the 19th century became very popular.
Bildungsroman ( coming-of-age-novel ): novel that traces the development of a young person from childhood or adolescence to maturity, often written in the form of an autobiography ( David Copperfield 1850, Great Expectations 1860 )

Condition of England novel : deals with the negative impacts of industrialism (Hard Times 1854 )

Fashionable novel ( “silver fork” novel ) : approach the life of the rich and elegant ( (Theodore Hook’s Gilbert Gurney 1836 )

Detective novel : emerged to portray efforts to bring criminals to justice. ( Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes novels )

Sensation novel ( gothic novel ) : melodramatic novel devoted to scandalous doings ( Wilkie Collin’s The Woman in White 1860 ).

Science fiction : is a genre of fiction dealing with imaginative content such as futuristic settings, futuristic science and technology.

Novels portraying people dealing with society as a whole as they confronted the various challenges Victorian life might present were published in book stores, on the news paper, in “triple-deckers” ( 3 volumes). They were appreciated for its realism.
Realism in fiction is the concern with representing life as it might actually be lived.
Novels evolved to the early period from the later period : on the first stage, the narrative was plain and easy to understand with its optimistic vision of life, idealized and flat characters and sentimental scenes whereas, on the second stage, there were social issues about the contemporary society, complex characters and situations causing ambiguity. Also, the narrative used a more pessimistic and sophisticated language through its realism.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,621 • Replies: 1
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2013 10:52 am
@mariekram,
Quote:
British had a bad rep stemming in part from its thriving economy
You might better start with "The British…" while "It's" kind of dangles. You might replace with eg, "The Isles' " or "their"

Quote:
and its industrial Revolution in which new technologies, major science and improved advances occurred explain how proud they behave during the Victorian age.
Marie, if you cap "Revolution" you should also cap "Industrial." Otherwise both LC

It's only me but you need a comma after "science" because its lack implies a more special connection between science and advances than between technologies and science, jolting the speed reader

…..while "occurred explain" is sort of awkward. You might try "occurred, explaining"

Quote:
The rise of the middle class generated a literate new social group and the novel that deals with contemporary problems in the 19th century became very popular.
Likewise need comma after "group" 'cuz jars the speed reader w/ instantaneous reaction that the rise generated both a group and a novel
0 Replies