WHAT FACTORS CONTRIBUTED TO THE DEMISE OF ABUZZ?

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 07:44 pm
Criticizing this site? Why? Because they can't assume multiple identities and repeatedly spam their opinions all over? Because they can't impersonate others to impugn their perceived "enemy's" nom de plume? Perhaps because they can't randomly flame others for no reason?
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 07:44 pm
I had some time today and logged in to Abuzz. The first post I checked made even me blush, I just couldn't believe it. The language was atrocious, and totally uncalled for. I logged off at once, muttering "who needs this?"

And to think there are people trying to save it! What for may I ask?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 07:49 pm
Misti, Their attempts at survival suggests to me they are enjoying themselves. My tolerance for that kind of filth is zero, and some people seem to thrive on it. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

HumsTheBird

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 07:54 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Any type of IP restrictions would hurt the site more than help it. I had my own ISP in Brazil and many people shared the same IP. The restrictions would have meant that not all of them could sign up at a certain site.

As to the servers, no Abuzz doesn't own them so of course they won't be sold by Abuzz.

==============

Actually, no, not all sites are "hurt" by restricting the number of User registrations from any one I.P. address. It's a matter of preference, whether a site wants what, as opposed to what other.

I prefer the limitations on registrants from any one I.P. address, as a personal preference, for a number of reasons.

Also, I understood already, from your earlier comment, that ABZ doesn't "own" it's own the servers it's hosted by/on. I wouldn't have the faintest idea about that; however, site improvements of whatever type can only amend the worth of any site, if it's on the market, or owner(s) has plans for a future sale.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 07:56 pm
For what it's worth, I looked into a "Save Abuzz" discussion yesterday. Of about 8 people, all but 2, and possibly 3 were also members of a2k. Keep that in mind when they claim a2k is hastening the Abuzz demise by drawing off the best members. They have no other complaint.

Oh, Zinger once said it was boring.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 07:57 pm
c.i.- I think that for some people it's like "throwing good money after bad". Some people are so emotionally connected to the site, that it is difficult for them to let go.
0 Replies

HumsTheBird

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 07:59 pm
Misti26 wrote:
I had some time today and logged in to Abuzz. The first post I checked made even me blush, I just couldn't believe it. The language was atrocious, and totally uncalled for. I logged off at once, muttering "who needs this?"

And to think there are people trying to save it! What for may I ask?

=============

ABZ, and any site, can just delete all User Accounts and even content (in the current state of ABZ, it's a good idea), and then start over, with or without registration changes and/or limitations to User behavior and use of the site.

Maybe ABZ is just treading water, keeping the place going, without regard for the quality of the site (d'oh) ( Shocked ), until further administrative plans can be implemented.

That's my best guess, anyway, as to what's what with ABZ in these contemporary times. The site appears to be, editorially, on hold for now (again, d'oh).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 08:27 pm
Phoenix, I must admit to having an addiction to Abuzz once in my life, so I can emphathize with those still hooked. It just makes one wonder, why now? c.i.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 08:37 pm
I think they (administration) knows Abuzz is dead, they just haven't buried it yet!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 09:08 pm
Misti, It seems the pulse is still being measured. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 12:01 am
I surf the other site and although it is put together quite well,
I find it is developing into a clique, just as Abuzz did before
we started getting new members.

To be quite honest, one of the things that bothers me about that
site is the choice of "signature picture/icon" that some folks
have chosen to use. At least one of those pictures is so
upsetting to me that I refuse to stay on any thread that they
appear on. The pictures are much worse than the words used here.

Here's a couple of comments. I'm not going to say who posted them.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 12:44 am
Well, to the defense or explanation at least of why some members of a2k continue to be members of both abuzz and this site -

I find the abuzz site a bit easier to navigate from the first page that opens upon log-in. For one, if I have been "invited to" a new thread, I see it right there in the middle of the page. Since I've only done the read online version, I have never had issues with the times that the abuzz site did or didn't send out invites or posts. I got used to looking for new invites to me, specifically, and the next thing I did was to click on "Interactions Involved in". If I wanted to peruse new questions or top interactions, from the My Abuzz page I could click once and get there, seeing the titles clearly and a little bit about the 'question' or topic.

Here in a2k, when I log-in, I click on the "View topics with posts since your last visit" and find the number staggering at times - 3,000 or so in 24 hours even! Then, the page that comes up may have some topics I am interested in, but most are not. So then, I click on the "View topics you have posted in" and finally get where I am most interested. This whole route takes longer for me to get around than when I get around in abuzz.

I like some aspects of the a2k layout and some of the abuzz layout. In abuzz, I still apprecitate the element of "surprise" when I find a newbie there or a topic that is unexpected, whether full of crappola or TinFoil Hat fodder, or sincere. I think that the abuzz site continues to still attract a wider range of folks globally than many posting forums. There was a comment earlier that a poster made here in this thread about "Clicque" - I do feel there is a greater clicque / click emphasis here in a2k, partly because there are proportionately more members that already "know" each other from abuzz.

To a newbie in a2k, I wonder if they don't feel a bit intimidated at times by the obvious in group members? Not to say there is an "in group", but I am trying and failing possibly to point out that there is an unusual familiarity of posters and postings here in a2k.

On a2k, I don't even think twice that there will be filth, cussings, objectionable posts - on abuzz, it is always a 'given' since the departure of moderators and staff. Then again, there is a bit more freedom displayed on abuzz that still allows more "Play" there than first seems available in a2k. For instance, I get a chuckle outta Slappy doo hoo's posts there, and they most likely would not be understood over 'here'.

So, all in all, there's more that I like here in the a2k, but I shall not discontinue visiting and commenting over in abuzz until it really has a demise. Hopefully this long post will give some that question the duality of membership some pause?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 12:46 am
I can about guess who, wilso. That anal retentive, rat hating, sorry sack of suffering snake snot.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 01:07 am
That only describes a few hundred Laughing
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 01:09 am
You gotta' stop holding back Roger! Very Happy
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 01:16 am
Yeah, tell us what you really think!!!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 08:49 am
I'm still trying to figure out which avatar is so offensive. Wilso holding a baby? babsatamelia's tiger? ehBeth's dog with lilacs on its head?

Then again, logic isn't necessarily going to be present.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 08:49 am
c.i.:

Instead of taking the pulse of Abuzz, one would think they'd hold the funeral and march off to the burial site. Mr. Green
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 10:00 am
It's the RAT. He doesn't like rats.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 10:02 am
roger- I LOVE rats. does that make it any better for you? Very Happy
In fact, I was once going to start a thread on my favorite avatars, but I thought that it might be insulting to some people, so I didn't. You and another member tied for first!
0 Replies