.NET web application development and the application server

Fri 2 Jan, 2009 11:52 am
I am developing a web application in vb.NET (C#). I would like to know if this development is independent of the application server which will be used to host the application later on. I.e. could I for instance host this same application using the Apache Tomcat Server? Currently, when the application is debugged, it uses the ASP.NET development server. However, I am trying to integrate the Yazd forum into the site, as there seems to be support for the forum only on the Apache Tomcat server, I need to be sure that the web application can: 1. be run on the apache server after development; or 2. be run on a separate server from the forum and still work fine; or whether the web application would need to be developed in Java for it to work. [Thanks in advance]

View best answer, chosen by carebear1
Nick Ashley
  Selected Answer

Fri 2 Jan, 2009 12:43 pm
@carebear1,
I am not exactly clear on what you are trying to do, but I believe I can shed some light on your situation.

ASP.NET is a web development framework built upon Microsofts CLR (Common Language Runtime). This allows one to develop asp.net applications in any .NET languages. The most popular are Visual Basic (VB.NET) and C#(CSharp.NET).

Any application built with ASP.NET will need to be hosted on a machine running IIS (Microsoft's web server). Yazd forum, on the other hand, is a java application, and as such needs to be ran on the Apache Tomcat server.

The easy answer is that these 2 technologies do not place nice together, and as such you cannot use them on the same site. Is there a reason you can't build you web application in JSP, so that it will be in the same language as Yazd forum? Or alternatively, can you use a .NET forum? (I can recommend yetanotherforum.net)

If you absolutely must use both technologies, you still have some options. There may be 3rd party extensions to allow .NET applications to run on Tomcat, or JSP applications to be ran on IIS. However, I have no experience with this, and would worry about the extensions being buggy and not feature-complete.

Another option would be to run one application on a subdomain, which points at a completely separate server. For example, you could have 'domain.com' be your main .NET application pointed at your IIS server, but have 'forums.domain.com' point to a completely different server running tomcat.

Let me know if that helps, and what solution you end up using. I will be happy to help in any way I can.
carebear1

Sat 3 Jan, 2009 01:22 pm
@Nick Ashley,
Thanks a lot Nick. You really shed quite a bit of light on the subject. I have decided to develop the entire project using .NET technology. (Originally, I had tried to locate some .NET based forum engines, but had no luck there, so you really helped me out big time). I am having some difficulty with the setup of Yet Another Forum right now, but I am continuing to persevere, hopefully I'll get it by the end of the day. Thanks again!
Nick Ashley

Sat 3 Jan, 2009 03:07 pm
@carebear1,
Yeah, finding open source software written in .NET can be difficult. There isn't really a big open source community utilizing the Microsoft stack.

Well anyways, glad I could help. Let me know if there is anything else ya need.
carebear1

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 06:49 am
@Nick Ashley,
Nick wats up. Thanks again for your help previously. So far, I've managed to integrated YetAnotherForum.NET into my existing web application. (The application is being developed for my Major Project at school, by the way). The issue that I am now having is this: rather than allowing users to register to the forum, my group and I will be developing some code which takes user IDs from an external database table, and adds these users to the forum database. The plan however, is to make this an option available from inside YetAnotherForum. I have already edited the 'hostsettings.ascx' file to include the option in Host Settings tab (as a button); I have also added the definition for the button in the 'hostsettings.ascx.designer'; finally, I have added the referenced 'click' event - UpdateDB_Click in the 'hostsettings.ascx.cs' file. However, after all this, I receive the following error message: 'Compiler Error Message: CS0117: 'ASP.yaf_pages_admin_hostsettings_ascx' does not contain a definition for 'UpdateDB_Click'. Not sure if you will be able to help me here but... Thanks in nonetheless!
Nick Ashley

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 12:17 pm
@carebear1,
Hmm, it sounds to me like something isn't quite right with your UpdateDB_Click function. Not sure what that would be. Make sure that the function is public, and that it is taking the correct parameters in:

Code:public void UpdateDB_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)

also, make sure the button in the .ascx file has both the id equal to 'UpdateDB' and the attribue "runat=server".
carebear1

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 02:00 pm
@Nick Ashley,
Yea thats all been done. I think the issue is that I am not able to build the YAF source files. I tried the same thing from within my own application and received the same error. However, after I had built the solution, it worked fine. So I think what I need to find now, is whether there is a way to have these changes committed functionally, without building the solution. Thanks anyway Nick!
Nick Ashley

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 05:59 pm
@carebear1,
Ahh, gotcha. Yeah, I haven't developed in .NET for a little over a year now, so I'm a bit rusty.

Good Luck, hope you get it figured out! (And if you do, let me know. I'd be curious in what you find out)
carebear1

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 08:13 pm
@Nick Ashley,
No prob. Thanks.
0 Replies