THANK YOU CRAVEN AND NICK!!!

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:06 pm
....and everyone else who had their fingers in the transition.
Just a word of heartfelt appreciation for all your work and commitment. I know you've been working at this for months, at own expense that wasn't just material. I also know how much effort a simple silly website takes and I cannot even begin to imagine all the details one has to keep in mind in a monster of this size.
So thanks!!! I feel at home here already.

Borat Sister

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:11 pm
@dagmaraka,
It's something, ain't it?
Thomas

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:12 pm
@dagmaraka,
Yes, thank you, Craven and Nick!

Although I bitch and moan a lot about features I miss, design decisions I don't like, and hickups that occur, I greatly appreciate what you're doing, and the money and effort you are putting into this. I had my doubts before the switch, but this went a lot smoother than I expected.

Great job!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:12 pm
@Borat Sister,
yes.... and, by the way, digging your new getup, sistah.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:13 pm
@Borat Sister,
I only wish dlowan could be here to see the new site. What do you think, would she like it?
dagmaraka

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:16 pm
@Thomas,
be glad we are rid of that muthaflippin' hare.
Thomas

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:17 pm
@dagmaraka,
Yeah, you're right. Deep down I never liked her either.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:25 pm
@dagmaraka,
Yes, I do believe a grateful thank you is in order for Craven de Kere and Nick Ashley. Thank you. Your time, dedication, and money, have made a difference to me.
Borat Sister

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:28 pm
@dagmaraka,
Quote:
be glad we are rid of that muthaflippin' hare.

Hares have big ears.
sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:36 pm
@Borat Sister,
Quote:
Hares have big ears.

Ears have big hairs.

http://www.purplesage.org.uk/images/photos/CornsilkFotolia_1701054_XS.jpg
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:43 pm
@alex240101,
I want to congratulate Nick especially. There are only a few examples of software this broad being written by essentially one programmer and this is the biggest application he's ever built and the biggest audience he's ever had for his work.

He's a very good programmer, and I told Nick in December when we started the project again from scratch that if he wasn't in I was going to give up on not just this new software but the whole company I founded to run this site. I meant that and the day I met Nick (I actually hired him for my last day job) was the day that a2k's growth became possible again.

Remember how it was 3 years ago? I wasn't building on the old platform anymore, it was often not even working? What changed was that Nick and I together could do something that neither of us could have done on our own. I am not a programmer, and had experience mainly with the architecture and design. So I was limited to largely hacking at other software that wasn't working for us. Nick is a great programmer who works well with a software architect and meeting Nick meant that we could actually do this.

It ended up being a much harder job than we thought, but I can absolutely guarantee that Nick's the only programmer I have ever heard of who could have done this particular project.

You haven't seen the last from him, and there are a few other guys (like Monger, who's writing a technical book right now) who we hope will join us soon.
sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:45 pm
@Craven de Kere,
Cool to get more background details. Thanks, Nick.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 05:56 pm
I see a lot of afuzz in this site.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 06:24 pm
I think it looks great, so clean and graphic.

I was offline for a couple of days so it was a real surpirse to see all of the changes but I'm learning my way around pretty quickly. I'm sure it will all make sense soon. In the meantime I'm having fun learning the new stuff.

Well done!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 08:56 pm
Very cool, very exciting. Good on both of you.
That was a good day, Craven, that Nick showed up.
And Monger, that's good.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:02 pm
@ossobuco,
quoting self,
Very cool, very exciting. Good on both of you.
That was a good day, Craven, that Nick showed up.
And Monger, that's good.

Too many goods in one post. Add preferred word.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:09 pm
@dagmaraka,
It is a gorgeous thing, isn't it. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:12 pm
@ossobuco,
it's cool to meet nick, it must be cathartic to finally launch the thing and have it out in the open. i appreciate you guys being around most of the day, patiently explaining every minute function over and over.
Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:14 pm
@dagmaraka,
The good stuff happens when we stop manning the forums. I haven't done anything else since we launched but when things calm down a bit we'll get to a lot of tweaks and bugfixes.

I think a couple of them are going to make a big difference right away.
dagmaraka

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2008 09:27 pm
@Craven de Kere,
and i hope that soon enough you'll also get to take a week or two off and do nothing but enjoy some cervezas on the beach.
0 Replies