WHAT FACTORS CONTRIBUTED TO THE DEMISE OF ABUZZ?

dlk33

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 08:16 pm
For me, the last straw was the imposter(s) constantly following me around from thread to thread, posting as me with their words, which weren't very kind. Or, they would post as someone else and bad mouth me all the time.
It just got to the point where it wasn't fun anymore, and it just wasn't worth it.
The worst part was feeling like by leaving abuzz, I would never have anymore contact with those I enjoyed sharing posts with. That was until now.
Other issues were the down time, no responses from abuzz when I emailed them with my concerns, too many people posting to jerk someones chain, or for affect.
I haven't disabled by account as of yet, but plan to on Dec. 31st.
I have high hopes for A2K.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 08:22 pm
I doubt I'll be disabling anything, DLK. I mean, it's not like anyone is paying attention to the membership. I only had one imposter (too dumb for words), but could see what was happening with you and others. Still, I spend less time there every week that passes.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 08:27 pm
I feel somehow neglected in that I never, to my knowledge, acquired an imposter. Perhaps I will go storming over there and demand one!

timber
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 09:22 pm
Get one for me while you are there timber! I never managed to pick one up either which, to some extent, kind of surprises me.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 09:31 pm
Good luck impersonating me.
0 Replies

dlk33

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 09:58 pm
timberlandko and fishin',
I'll be happy to offer you my imposter(s) Exclamation
Be forewarned, after it happens you will feel like this Evil or Very Mad
Any second thoughts?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 10:06 pm
Abuzz wasn't designed for what it became used for.
Abuzz had little turnover.
Abuzz has no index meta tags so that search engines would not index all the threads.
Abuzz never fixed their database (it has been corrupted for months).
Abuzz has technically shoddy design that gives CSS problems and is heavy on the server.
Abuzz doesn't want to pay the few hundred dollars it would cost to use a top level host and a system administrator so there is too much downtime.
Abuzz didn't bring in enough volunteers when the paid staff left and there were many who would have helped.

Those are the main ones, there are a few hundred little things they could have done to improve things but the bottom line is that Abuzz is doing fine. It's not as fun as it used to be but that's just because it's untended.

---

Why this site will never be like Abuzz:

I won't give up on it. It's not a business to me, it's my favorite hobby and I have big plans for it.

Abuzz could have ALL it's problems fixed in one weekend. One day this might happen. The only problem is that there isn't any interest in fixing the technical problems.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 10:07 pm
dlk, I can't be sure, but I suspect there are just a few who engage in all the "Imposturing" and who consistently try to skew ratings and smilies over there. There are striking similarities of style, down to consistent misspellings or punctuation peculiarities. Whatever, it is a source of irritation and bother to those seeking to interact with a genuine screen persona subject to such attack.

timber
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 10:13 pm
I'm shocked!
Shocked I say!
To hear that abuzz had no index meta tags....

Whatever those are.

Glad to be a part of your own private petrie dish here oh Great and Powerful Webmaster!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 10:33 pm
Basically those tags mean that search engines aren't supposed to index their pages. Abuzz kept all it's content out of the reach of search engines and cheated itself out of a lot of new visitors.

To give an example (these are pages from the respective sites listed in Google, not pages that mention the respective sites):

Able2Know currently has 14,800 pages in Google (and growing).
Able2Know.com pages in Google

Abuzz has 323 results.
Abuzz.com pages in Google

I'm not the greatest webmaster but I really like doing this so I'll keep at it. I don't mind spending pocket money on it either because when I get a dedicated server it will be my favorite toy.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 10:39 pm
OH... Confused
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 10:44 pm
I continue to Abuzz, not as happily as before, but, there are still some fine people over there. Another reason I hang in is a faith that somebody will eventually discover that the site is worth saving and make the necessary changes. If I'm wrong, I haven't really lost anything.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 11:05 pm
I must admit, I never experienced anything but technical problems. over there, with occasional vulgarity. I'm no prude, but when you try to replace dialogue, or humor with vulgarity, it's distracting. Those other things you guys mention are news to me.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 11:30 pm
Heck, I used the same moniker, cicerone imposter, on Abuzz, and somebody had the gall to create an 'imposter' for me too! And more than once! c.i.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 01:29 am
Thanks for dropping by Craven, I figured you would have the details.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 01:55 am
darn, after reading these posts I will have to re-evaluate my opinion that afuuz went downhill after I stopped afuzzin' Very Happy

never had a imposter either. I think it would cause irreparable damage to an otherwise normal person to try to think and post like me Very Happy
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 01:58 am
...or, finish off an already warped personality.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 02:07 am
could be, could be. Very Happy
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 02:29 am
Don't need abuzz any more.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2002 03:12 am
Me neither, I go back to check certain open Q's to update myself.

Wish Aa would be here more though.
0 Replies