WHAT FACTORS CONTRIBUTED TO THE DEMISE OF ABUZZ?

msolga

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 08:28 pm
littlek

Yes, I saw that ... madness!
0 Replies

HumsTheBird

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 08:30 pm
About the marketing appeal, to TNYT as a seller, it's probably far more inexpensive to just leave the site "running" so that anyone interested can see how it appears and functions, not "who" is using it, or, anything related to the quality, or lack thereof, as the case is now, of the participants, people who are accessing the site.

In other words, if someone were to purchase the site, it wouldn't be to purchase the registered users, but the site and the software and related server(s).

The registered users/user access to the site can be modified with whatever restrictions current or future owner would apply to the site use, and, undoubtedly, would apply (more restrictions for access and use of the site).

But, that requires increased expenditure, and, like with real estate, the best a seller can hope for is that the place is livable, not that there are, well, objectionables still living in it/wherever.

That's undoubtedly what's going on with the place, just maintaining the hardware and functionality, until it can be disposed of, or, put to some good purpose with increased funding, at some future time.
0 Replies

HumsTheBird

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 08:36 pm
The "hijacking" thing is just, plain bad behavior by people who have no restrictions in place on their behavior. It wouldn't surprise me if the people responsible WERE inmates, and/or, perhaps, juveniles confined somewhere with no one providing any guidance and more.

It's just stupid, destructive behavior, serves no credible or constructive purpose, and, for all the heat thrown my way whenever I tried to discuss this issue on the site and even, elsewhere, I read time and time and time again, on Boards for the purpose of site and BB owners and administrators, much of the same concerns that I expressed, about the very same behaviors (but, they're taking action to protect their respective sites).

So, it's all relative. If you make sense on the ABZ of today, you're going to get flamed and trolled. It appears that's the only behavior that some individuals have at their disposal. Which is, sadly, terribly uncreative.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 09:05 pm
phearlessphly is no more..... Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 09:09 pm
I think Abuzz started going downhill when NYT fired some of the staff, and reduced it to a skeleton crew. We still had the imposters, but nothing like what they have today. It's a shame, because Abuzz used to be one of the best sights on the internet. All they have now are destructive people, who's doing a damn good job of it. c.i.
0 Replies

HumsTheBird

pueo:

Maybe you should start a Thread/Discussion here for purposes of grieving over former/expired User I.D.'s. I'd join in.

Cool
0 Replies

ehBeth

They've just done a hardware upgrade. Not sure what the plan is, but giving up the site doesn't seem to be it.

Apparently the NYT crossword puzzle online makes enough money to pay for all of the NYT online forums and services, including Abuzz.
0 Replies

HumsTheBird

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 10:30 pm
The upgrade can also indicate a property improvement to make the product a bit more appealing to a future buyer.

My take on ABZ is that, with user restrictions in place (one User I.D. registered there per I.P. Address, or, at least, a limit as to how many, like, say, for example, a maximum of four or five registrations from any one I.P. Address), and distinct, unique User I.D.'s, the place might have a chance of mellowing out.

On SLATE, for instance, the editors wrote that the Discussion features there became noticably more well behaved, once they started requiring users to sign on with a .NET Passport, which uses user site restrictions (which most people are aware of, so, I won't reiterate them here).

The biggest issue on ABZ was the general warfare from one crowd of users against others. I could never figure that out, and, I always found that particular sort of behavior the most offensive about the site.

The "imposter" issue, and the startingly foolish language that's exploded of late, just indicates to me that a handful of poorly intended persons is now using the site about 24/7. So, it seems only reasonable to just leave the site, if you want any realistic feedback.

I respect TNYT and wish them the best. I'd imagine that, as soon as they employed some editing and user behavior requirements on the site, they'd have a great place.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 11:13 pm
I like the theory, proposed earlier in this discussion, that Abuzz may have been taken over by prison inmates who post 24/7. That might explain a lot, though, on the other hand, blaming the disgraceful state of Abuzz on prisoners is probably unfair to those paying their debt to society!
0 Replies

maggots ate my brain

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 09:15 am
Abuzz is a classic example of anarchy - it's kind of like Somalia on line. People who lead relatively normal lives use Abuzz to vent all their neuroses and ill will towards the human race.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 09:20 am
Maggots- I think that you are absolutely right. There are many people out there who harbor a lot of hostility, but are forced to "suck it in" at work and with their families.

Give them a keyboard, and some anonymity, and ya-hah! Shocked
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 10:43 am
maggots ate my brain wrote:
it's kind of like Somalia on line.

An astute observation. Very apt simile.

timber
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 11:24 am
HUMS:

Mary Pope told Abuzzers that the NYTImes wanted to sell the abuzz software. Apparently, no one wants to buy it! Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 11:30 am
the internet itself is the classic example of anarchy. as abuzz goes it's way, we are free to go our way. anarchy ain't always such a bad thing.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 12:03 pm
HTB,

You are right that it's inexpensive to keep Abuzz running and that the sale would likely be just the software and the buyer could decide on whether to keep the database.

The servers won't be sold as they have nothing to do with Abuzz functionality though.

The IP idea would not work BTW.
0 Replies

HumsTheBird

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 05:40 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
HTB,

You are right that it's inexpensive to keep Abuzz running and that the sale would likely be just the software and the buyer could decide on whether to keep the database.

The servers won't be sold as they have nothing to do with Abuzz functionality though.

The IP idea would not work BTW.

=============================

Anyone can -- and does -- sell whatever hardware that they care to, if they own the hardware. I don't know if ABZ/TNYT owns their servers, or, not. But, if they do, they can certainly be sold if the owner wants to.

Or, not, if they aren't owned by ABZ/TNYT. Isn't that relatively a given?
As in, of course, they can't be sold as an aspect to the or any site, if they aren't an aspect of the property of that site, by whoever the owner of that or any site is.

I'm not familiar with the ABZ software, so I don't know if they can or might be able to include I.P. limitations for user registration, or, not. With some software, you can (UBB.x, for instance).

It's still possible to do, however, although, I realize, the software might have to be replaced/rewritten to such a degree as to create another title.

But, it's an idea that's being considered, by some sites, which is all I am aware of about that particular idea.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 05:56 pm
Any type of IP restrictions would hurt the site more than help it. I had my own ISP in Brazil and many people shared the same IP. The restrictions would have meant that not all of them could sign up at a certain site.

As to the servers, no Abuzz doesn't own them so of course they won't be sold by Abuzz.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 07:13 pm
I have been an Abuzz member for two years. During the holiday season, I was too busy to pay it much attention. I was off work today, so I took time to give Abuzz a thorough perusal.

I was amazed that this once informative site has become a safe haven for crackpots of all sizes and descriptions. Most of what I saw was inane and a waste of my time. Some of it was vulgar just for vulgarity's sake. Very few of the interaction topics seemed useful.
I am saddened to see Abuzz in this shape.
Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 07:23 pm
A joke isn't it. And yet some people there are criticising this site. Amazing.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2003 07:40 pm
Wilso, What are they criticizing about A2K? Just curious. Wink c.i.
0 Replies