WHAT FACTORS CONTRIBUTED TO THE DEMISE OF ABUZZ?

roger

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 10:14 am
Bet the other was the original Monger tongue and eyeball!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 10:15 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I was once going to start a thread on my favorite avatars, but I thought that it might be insulting to some people, so I didn't

I dunno, it could be fun. The "Your Avatar and You" thread had good participation for quite a while, and managed to stay pretty much on-topic untill just recently. Why not give it a shot ... if it starts getting rowdy, or if folks complain, though I don't see much potential for either, just kill the thread.

timber
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 10:31 am
I may be alone in this, but I never understood the appeal of Slappy Doo Hoo's posts on Abuzz (or just about any by his doppelganger Ese Edger). They were as clever (to me at least) as little kids saying four-letter words are funny. A little goes a l-o-n-g way, and those guys never know when to stop.

As I said, I may be uniquely immune to their charm!
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 10:44 am
No, you are not D'artagnan. I'm with you 100 percent on that one.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 10:48 am
roger- No, actually it is ehBeth's. I always want to smile when I see the two avatars. (I also want to grab that pink tail! Laughing )
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 11:04 am
I like slappy and ese skwerl and themfolks! They go off the edge fairly often, but I think they're genuinely funny, and also have said some really nice helpful things. Slappy was really nice on my "What car should I buy?" thread, for example. They're not just the yuks.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 12:17 pm
I have to admit enjoying the carry-on of Slappy, Ese, Skwerl X and Stikeman on Abuzz. Yes they are potty-mouths but they really are just talking trash and not trying to be genuinely nasty. They have made me laugh out loud on occasion but I can see people not understanding they don't mean all that crappola and getting upset with them. If it were to come from anyone else other than those four, I might find it offensive.

I've gotten used to the layout over here on A2K but the one thing I miss is knowing when anyone has added additional posts to a thread I already interacted in. I know I can go into each of the posts but I don't which which have been updated since my last visit.

I also like to view the newest questions asked (all topics) and have to go to the Control Panel to find them. Is it possible to get this option on my Home Page?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 12:27 pm
At the top right of the page you are looking at right now is link to View topics you have posted in. The topics with a yellow page icon have new posts (and you can even tell who made the most recent post, and when).
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 12:30 pm
Patiodog- Agree- I have an icon on my desktop that goes directly to "Forums". I then click "View topics with posts since your last visit", and it takes me exactly where I want to go.

I very rarely even look at the Home Page or the Control Panel!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 12:34 pm
Yup, same here. The one thing I wish is that the "...since your last visit" stuff would stick until actually viewed, since I don't always have a chance to see everything and then the notifications are gone next time. I think Craven has mentioned he is gonna work on that later. And Phoenix, you have some trick, right?
0 Replies

Mustang

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 12:37 pm
patiodog, thanks for pointing that out. I never paid attention to its being up there! Guess it helps to read instructions, doesn't it? Laughing
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 12:40 pm
I never read 'em myself. I just push all the wrong buttons until I find the right ones. Have survived so far.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 12:52 pm
sozobe- Yes I do have a trick, thanks to the guy in out local paper who writes a computer column.

Go to Start>settings>control panel> Internet options> advanced. UNCHECK "reuse windows for launching shortcuts"> click apply> click OK.

Whenever you don't want to lose the "view topics since your last visit", but you have to go to another site, simply minimize the A2K page. The page will sit on the bottom of your screen. The only drawback, it that it will do it with every page you go to, and you will have to close them manually( right click page>left click close.) It is no big deal, once you get used to it, and it saves a lot of aggravation!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 12:55 pm
Oh, I don't have problems with going to other sites. The problem is more day-to-day -- I don't always have time in a single day to check out all the new stuff.

I always have several windows open at once and am doing various things. I've found that if I have two A2K windows open there are sometimes problems, but if I have one A2K window open, then other windows open (for Google or whatever), no prob.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 02:36 pm
BTW, Craven has promised to eventually have it so we can go directly from e-mail to topic. So remember Grasshoppers, "patience brings roses" Cool
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 02:42 pm
Booman- I opted for no E Mails on A2K. I find it easier to just look at the "view topics since last visit"
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 02:49 pm
Phoenix:

I don't get e-mail either. Easier to just come to this site directly. Cool
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 03:00 pm
If it pleases you,...it's perfect. :wink:
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 03:21 pm
Booman,

What I promised was that I'd eventually make the emails HTML based instead of plain text. But that might not be the problem.

You see, you already can click a link in the email to go to the topic.

I'm not sure why it's not working for you (I know AOL has problems with links in emails sometimes) but if you can tell me what is happening I might be able to fix it.

e.g. Is the link displaying but not clickable?
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 03:34 pm
Aha said the blind man ... "it's all becoming clear!"
Thanks Mister Dog.
0 Replies