Will you be drafted next year?

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 10:31 pm
It's obvious that our soldiers are getting warn out. I don't see us fighting this war for another year with the same soldiers. There has to be a draft at some point.

I guarantee you that by this time next year if we're still fighting in Iraq there will be a draft. So you'd better start enrolling your sons in college.

Do you think that support for this war will still be above 50% when the draft comes? I think support will drop to under 35%.

A draft will certainly end the war.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,872 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Tarantulas

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 12:45 am
There won't be a draft. There's no need for one.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 12:54 am
i agree with tarantulas. i already put my time in and too old to be drafted. my oldest boy was in iraq when the whole thing started, he's in ft. stewart, georgia now.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 01:11 am
Tarantulas wrote:

How do you figure that? We have soldiers there that have been fighting longer than they were told they had to. The suicide rate among soldiers is increasing. They are coming under increasing resistance.

If we're still fighting this war by this time next year with the same soldiers and no additional help from other countries we will be in bad shape without a draft.

I'm too old to be drafted but I wouldn't go anyway! They would have to arrest me. I wouldn't fight a war that is morally wrong. I'd go to protect our country in a heart beat, but since this war isn't for our countries defense, I wouldn't go!
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 01:13 am
rr, if another front opens, then i would tend to agree with you.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 01:48 am
It looks like a second front is a high possibility. Not to mention Russia's changing aditude. What if they got involved to aid Iraq in some way?
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 01:49 am
If called, I'll serve.

But I doubt that would happen.

One, there's a large reserve of troops in the Inactive reserve. These are the people that don't re-up, but still have four years after their last date of service that they can be called back to serve again.

Two, there's new troops being trained all the time. It stands to reason a large part of them - if needed - would be tasked with serving in Iraq.

Three, there's still the national guard units that haven't been sent over.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 01:53 am
I'd like to see the statistics on volunteers joining armed services. I would think enlistment would be down considerably right now.

You do have a point with the reserves. Most of those are older soldiers though who will tire faster. I'm not trying to bring up the negative on every turn. But I do wonder how many people are actually enlisting now. Last I heard the numbers were way down.
0 Replies

John Webb

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 01:54 am
Surely the best solution for anyone facing the draft is to emulate the President? Cool
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 02:01 am
roverroad wrote:
It looks like a second front is a high possibility. Not to mention Russia's changing aditude. What if they got involved to aid Iraq in some way?

If Russia aided Iraq it would be a good thing. Iraq needs all the aid it can get.

Or maybe I'm not understanding your point.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 02:40 am
Tarantulas wrote:
roverroad wrote:

If Russia aided Iraq it would be a good thing. Iraq needs all the aid it can get.

Or maybe I'm not understanding your point.

There's a lot of things you don't understand. This thread is about military, not humanitarian aid.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 02:45 am
So would Russia come in and train the new Iraqi Army? Or what "aid" are you talking about?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 04:45 am
If they drafted me, the country would be in BIG trouble! Laughing

Seriously though, as a person who disdains the draft as involuntary servitude, I would never want conscription again.
0 Replies

Titus

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 05:27 am
Hi roverroad:

I did my 4 years in the Navy after high school and before college -- I'm too old now and you know the axiom (I'm paraphrasing,) "Old men get young men to fight their wars." At 59, I'd tell Bush and Cheney to "F" off.

It's clear the military is being stretched with many divisions seeing an extraordinary second tour of a duty that was only supposed to last 4 weeks. Another lie from the Liar in Chief.

As I've said before, I would like and support a return to the draft.

Why?

Quite simple. When the sons of wealthy, white Congressmen are sent into the shooting gallery called post-Saddam Iraq, and the body bags begin piling up on the US Capital steps, Bush's war for oil and legacy will be over in a matter of weeks.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 05:31 am
Tarantulas wrote:

VERY TRUE! There won't be a draft and we don't need one!
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 09:59 am
Titus, if there is a draft the sons of the wealthy won't go. It will be the middle and lower classes who shoulder the burden, as always.
0 Replies

Titus

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 10:46 am
hobitbob:

You are correct: look at the list of GOP chickenhawks.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 11:05 am
I doubt if they would draft me. After I left service in the Navy I mailed back my draft card, in 1966.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 11:07 am
Last March I went to the Marine recruiting office to sign up but they just looked afraid so I figured they did not really want me.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 11:14 am
I am too old to serve and didn't serve in the first useless for profit war I was old enough for, but I can tell you right now I think the draft age should start at fifty and have no age limit.

I'm for saving the future generations. Why waste our youngest and best before they have a chance at life? On top of that, us old guys are more wily, and we have more murder in our hearts.
0 Replies