• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,198 • Replies: 20
No top replies

jackie

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 08:38 pm
PO'd,
I wonder if the administration/military, whomever- in the US, have decided to do by 'terrorizing' what they could not do by 'compassionate war'??

I could not say for sure, but it looks like they intend to destroy every dissenter or jail them until they are broken men--
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 08:45 pm
Hypocracy
Whoever is in charge of the US Military in Iraq is making
a huge mistake if they feel that the Iraqis can be cowed by this massacre. It will only fan the flames of resentment even higher. The Iraqis aren't going to bow down to the Invading Occupiers! The more that the US and it's few allies punish the Iraqis, the larger the resistance will grow.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 09:44 pm
I predict that regular Iraqis will be as glad to get rid of these thugs as we are.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 10:07 pm
I predict the Iraqis will not be amused by the civillian casualties.
In any war, it is the innocents who pay the price.
Quote:

Home Site Guide Contact Us Set As HomePage Add to favorites

Doctor reveals Falluja's horror toll

Friday 09 April 2004, 20:48 Makka Time, 17:48 GMT

At least 450 Iraqis have been killed and more than 1000 others wounded in fighting in the city of Falluja this week, says a doctor who runs the city's main hospital.

Dr Rafi Hayad, the director of the main hospital supplied the figures to the Reuters news agency. The agency has given no explanation of how Hayad reached his figures.

In Baghdad an aide to a member of the interim Governing Council said on Friday more than 400 Iraqis have been killed and 1000 wounded in a six-day US offensive against insurgents in Falluja.

"To this day, more than 400 Iraqis have been killed and more than 1,000 others wounded in Falluja," said Hatem al-Husseini, an aide to council member Muhsin Abdul Hameed from the Iraqi Islamic Party.

"These numbers were given to us from Falluja, from all hospitals, and they are correct 100 percent," he told AFP.

The Iraqi Islamic Party was leading mediations to evacuate casualties, bring in supplies and end hostilities in the town west of Baghdad.

In Falluja itself US occupation forces have bombed the town , belying administrator Paul Bremer's announcement that his forces were suspending military operations there.

"As of noon today coalition forces have initiated a unilateral suspension of offensive operations in Falluja," Paul Bremer told reporters on Friday.

But, the US-led occupation's deputy director of operations, Brigadier General Mark Kimmitt, denied the reports of a ceasefire.

Minutes after Bremer's announcement, US forces carried out a fresh offensive on Falluja bombing the town from the air. Scores of residents were injured in the attack, reported our correspondent.

"There is no brokered agreement for a ceasefire in Falluja," Kimmitt told AFP. "There is no agreement between the rebels and the coalition forces."

IGC statement

Earlier, the Iraqi Governing Council member Mohsin Abd al-Hameed in a statement on behalf of his Iraqi Islamic party to Aljazeera said military action in Falluja would end for a period of 24 hours.

Upon commitment to a ceasefire by the occupation forces and Iraqi resistance fighters the ceasefire would continue, the statement said.

The Islamic party political bureau would send a delegation to hold talks with prominent figures in the town, the statement said.

Aljazeera, meanwhile, has learnt that during negotiations to end the military offensive, US forces imposed many conditions including getting the Aljazeera crew out of the town.

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/rdonlyres/35D16627-E268-4ACE-B0E0-553C6624058D/34170/DE7E3CA5786746D8968AE2EF716E1E3C.jpg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 11:42 pm
Russian policy re Iraq changing somewhat:

Russia urges US to halt 'disproportionate' use of force in Iraq
Russia has called on US-led forces in Iraq to refrain from "disproportionate" use of force and halt their latest offensive, in one of its toughest statements on Iraq to date.

"Russia calls for an end to military operations and restraint," said the Foreign Ministry in Moscow, one of the staunchest opponents of the US-led war.

The statement followed a week of violence in Iraq that has claimed the lives of dozens of US troops and hundreds of Iraqis.

The ministry said in a statement the US assault on towns in southern and central Iraq, particularly Fallujah, were causing a humanitarian disaster and the troops had to scale back.

It pointed out that the United Nations Security Council had approved a resolution in May 2003, just weeks after the United States launched the war, that not only lifted sanctions against Iraq but also forbade Western powers from exercising unreasonable force in their disputed campaign.

Russia expressed particular concern about the situation in Fallujah, which was encircled and bombed by US troops after four civilian contractors were killed and dragged through the streets by a mob.

"Hospitals, civilian buildings and religious establishments are being attacked," the Ministry said.

"Completely innocent people are being killed as a result, including the elderly, women and children.

"We have seen hundreds of people wounded."

Moscow said it was "imperative ... to halt the humanitarian catastrophe" afflicting some Iraq cities, and avoid an escalation of conflict.

The United States is due to hand over power to an Iraqi interim government by June 30, the deadline it established for the transfer of sovereignty.

But that deadline has been thrown into doubt by the escalating violence by radical Muslim Shiite insurgents.

The Shiites had previously stood on the sidelines of the conflict but are now forming a second front for the hard-pressed coalition forces, which are already battling with a Sunni Muslim revolt.

The Russian statement made no direct appeal to Sunni or Shiite militia to drop their weapons, another apparent sign of increasing frustration with Washington over how it is managing the occupation.

Russia appeared to put all the responsibility on Washington's shoulders, saying the United Nations - where it plays a key role - should not get involved in peace efforts until the United States had security under control.

"The question of putting the process of resolving (the situation in) Iraq under United Nations auspices can only be discussed when conditions are stable and not when open battles are raging in Iraq," Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Yury Fedotov told Interfax news agency.

Russia had argued until now for the United Nations to play a leading role in resolving the Iraqi conflict.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 11:43 pm
But no change from Australian government.

Howard stands firm on Iraq
Prime Minister John Howard has reaffirmed his commitment to Australian troops remaining in Iraq, despite the escalation of violence this week.

Mr Howard has also sent a message of concern and support to the Japanese Prime Minister about the hostage situation.

Three Japanese civilians have been taken hostage in Iraq, with a previously unknown group threatening to burn them alive unless Japan withdraws its 550 troops within three days.

Mr Howard says the Japanese government is right not to negotiate with the hostage takers.

"It's doubly important that that tactic not be allowed to succeed and at the present time any talk of withdrawal or any weakening of resolve or commitments will only encourage a repetition and extension of this kind of behaviour," Mr Howard said.

Civilians at risk

Mr Howard has admitted the worsening situation in Iraq represents an increased risk to Australian civilians in the country but he says he is confident their current security arrangements are sufficient.

The Prime Minister says the Government will not be changing its position.

"I'm not talking in terms of a particular exit strategy. I'm talking in the near and medium term to us completing the tasks that we've been assigned to do," he said.

"Talk of exit strategies at the present time only serves the purpose of those who'd destabilise and undermine the coalition effort in Iraq especially in the light of the difficulties of the past two or three weeks - it is the worst time imaginable for that kind of discussion to be taking place," he said.

Meanwhile, the Government's aid organisation, AusAid, says it has no plans to pull its seven workers out of Iraq.

An AusAid spokeswoman says the security situation in Iraq is being constantly assessed.

Several other aid groups, contacted by the ABC, refused to discuss details about their Australian workers in Iraq over concerns for their welfare.

The Department of Foreign Affairs says there are usually several dozen civilian Australians in Iraq at any one time.

A spokeswoman says civilians can be advised, rather than forced, to leave the country.

She says most Australians in Iraq are dual citizens, however she says there are a small number of Australians helping with the country's reconstruction.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 11:43 pm
Incidentally, when the dust settles I suspect the reaction in Fallujah will go down as a bad move, to say the least.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 11:44 pm
Does anyone have any good sources re how the majority of Iraqis really do feel about this uprising?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 11:46 pm
Australian ABC is reporting that the Japanese civilians' captors have threatened to burn them alive if Japan does not withdraw.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 11:46 pm
...or, it may be known that Sadr could not be left to do his magic after June 30--and it was a given he'd have to be confronted.

He's making his power play for domination of post-war Iraq.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 12:29 am
Sadr needs a smart bomb up the wazoo.

His followers need to be terminated with extreme prejudice.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 01:18 am
Tarantulas wrote:

His followers need to be terminated with extreme prejudice.

Question Shocked
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 01:48 am
(that means KILLED)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 01:50 am
Tarantulas wrote:
(that means KILLED)

Thanks. (If you need any help in German, French, Latin - just ask.)

So: KILLED by prejudices.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 01:52 am
We know what it means.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 02:11 am
Cease fire
Yesterday al Sadr has called a halt to open hosilities. He requested is group to stand down.

The US has opened itself to more world condemnation due to the overkill of their Military. If the US continues their agressive force I believe that their will be an all out Iraqi uprising.

Brutal force will not subdue the people of Iraq.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 02:11 am
dlowan wrote:
We know what it means.

Walter didn't know what it meant.

Quote:

I try to use terminology that can be understood everywhere but sometimes I forget, sorry.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 02:21 am
dlowan wrote:
We know what it means.

Tarantulas wrote:

Walter didn't know what it meant.
[...]
I try to use terminology that can be understood everywhere but sometimes I forget, sorry.

Well, actually such wasn't asked when I passed my exams as a military translator, although I could work up to 'NATO Secret' :wink:
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 02:38 am
Yeah, silly American slang. You think everyone knows what it means. Maybe that's part of the "Ugly American" syndrome.

I had a secret clearance in the Navy. The only Secret information I ever read was some document about what a Soviet submarine sounded like on sonar, back around 1975. It was a technical document and I didn't understand much of it. The officer I borrowed it from explained that Soviet submarines sounded like a collection of pots and pans banging their way across the ocean. That I could understand.
0 Replies