Is this correct?

Sigandi

Reply Wed 23 Oct, 2013 04:30 am
Hi,
I would like to know if the below sentence is correct or not.

Please confirm can we close the call. If you do not have any issues in accessing the workspace.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 662 • Replies: 7
No top replies

fresco

Reply Wed 23 Oct, 2013 05:40 am
@Sigandi,
It's not a sentence.
I suggest you turn it round....
If you do not have any issues in accessing the workspace, please confirm that we can close the call.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 23 Oct, 2013 06:09 am
@Sigandi,

If you are addressing someone whose first language is not English, you might wish to simplify your style, such as, for example:

"Is that clear?"
"Have you any other questions/ problems?"
"Can I help you with anything else?"
"Fine, thank you, goodbye."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Oct, 2013 06:15 am
I would like to point out to you that a native speaker of English would be very unlikely to say " . . . the below sentence . . . " While it is true that a native speaker would readily say "the above sentence," a native speaker would say "the sentence below." I know that does not appear to be logical, but it's just an arcane fact of usage, one of those things which is not intuitive, and which one just has to learn.

No one in their right mind, especially a native speaker, would ever claim that English is logical.
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 23 Oct, 2013 06:34 am
@Setanta,
Yep, absolutely.

I would never say "close the call" either.

timur

Reply Wed 23 Oct, 2013 07:04 am
@Lordyaswas,
Yeah, but in those call centers, they open a file for every call and when it's finished, they close the call.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Oct, 2013 11:22 am
Them boys and girls in India think they speak English, but the evidence just ain't there--know what i mean, Vern?
JTT

Reply Wed 23 Oct, 2013 12:46 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Them boys and girls in India think they speak English, but the evidence just ain't there--know what i mean, Vern?

Typical gross ignorance [of the pejorative kind] from Setanta. Of course there are people in India who speak English. And the evidence is overwhelming.
0 Replies