allow some dogs, insurance exceptions, service & support dogs

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 10:00 am
I allow my tenants to have most dogs. the exceptions are very specific quoted from my landlord's insurance. if my insurance will not cover damage of any kind caused by, say a german shepherd, and a prospective tenant has a german shepherd service and/or support do I have to allow them to have the dog?
I don't have a problem with service or support dogs. I am concerned about my insurance coverage and the affect service or support dogs federal laws has on it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 880 • Replies: 2
No top replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 10:21 am
@lealange,
Talk to your insurance agent. Your policy may make an exception for service dogs. Otherwise, you might be able to purchase a rider to your policy that exempts service dogs from the dog damage exclusion.
0 Replies

trying2learn

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 10:35 am
@lealange,
My tenants aren't allowed to have any pets. I know my insurance will not cover the premises if the tenant has a pit bull or chow.

I also don't have problems with service dogs. The contract I have says "no pets". So, if the tenants have a service dog, there are ways I can find out if it is legit. or if they are just saying the dog is a service dog.
0 Replies