How much does an autopsy cost?

Noddy24

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 12:54 pm
There are some genetic conditions--such as Alzheimer's--which can be accurately diagnosed only after death.

How much do autopsies cost?

I know once any part of the body has been subjected to a private autopsy, medical science is not interested in the leftovers.

I also know that autopsies are not free--unless murder is suspected.

Can anyone give me an approximate figure for the cost of a cranial autopsy?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,139 • Replies: 11
No top replies

doglover

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 02:40 pm
Re: How much does an autopsy cost?
Noddy24 wrote:
There are some genetic conditions--such as Alzheimer's--which can be accurately diagnosed only after death.

In the state of Maryland the average autopsy costs between $4,000-$6,000.

I know once any part of the body has been subjected to a private autopsy, medical science is not interested in the leftovers.
That's not necessarily true. Call your local medical board to find out the particuliar's in your state/county.

I don't know anything about cranial autopsies.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 03:48 pm
DogLover--

Thanks for the information. I'm glad to know that we're talking serious money.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 04:50 pm
The expense is out of pocket. At least in the cases I'm familiar with, HMO's...etc won't cover the cost.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 05:49 pm
Doglover--

I'd heard this--which is why I was asking in advance. Since the problem is Alzheimer's, I'd just be interested in the brain tissue, but I gather that pathologists like to be thorough.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 09:35 pm
What does that mean? Who pays for the autopsy then? Surely not the next of kin?
Noddy, someone in your family? Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 09:45 pm
suzy wrote:

Yep, the family is required to pay for the autopsy...before the autopsy is performed. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 05:44 am
Re: How much does an autopsy cost?
Noddy24 wrote:

I think that autospies are mandated by law, when the cause of death is unknown. The only restriction might be when the deceased's religion prohibits an autopsy.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 06:45 am
Suzy--

A condition like Alzheimer's exists for three in Mr. Noddy's family. Since there is a genetic component to Alzheimer's my stepsons and step-grandsons either do or do not deserve forewarning.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 08:18 am
Noddy, I'm so sorry. Alzheimers is so scary.

doglover wrote:
suzy wrote:

Yep, the family is required to pay for the autopsy...before the autopsy is performed. Rolling Eyes

Wow.
How long has that been in effect? I can't imagine that my grandmother paid cash for my grandfather's autopsy.
I know I wasn't charged for my sons.
Unless you ask for it, or it's a suspicious death, they shouldn't do one, then. It advances research, so the hospital should pay, IMO.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 08:26 am
suzy wrote:
Noddy, I'm so sorry. Alzheimers is so scary.

doglover wrote:
suzy wrote:

Wow.
How long has that been in effect? I can't imagine that my grandmother paid cash for my grandfather's autopsy.
I know I wasn't charged for my sons.
Unless you ask for it, or it's a suspicious death, they shouldn't do one, then. It advances research, so the hospital should pay, IMO.

When my father-in-law died in 2001 (he committed suicide) we wanted an autopsy done to find out if he had cancer...or some other disease. (He would never go to the doctor). My mother-in-law had to pay $4,600 in order for an autopsy to be performed. During my five years working at a cemetery, I have heard several families tell of how they too had to pay for their loved ones autopsy. All of those autopsies were requested by the families for medical information.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 11:35 pm
Wow, I admit I'm surprised.
I did not request one for my son (though I wanted one) but they did it anyway. I can't remember if I was asked. probably. I never got a bill. It was SIDS, and maybe they (at that time) automatically did them on SIDS kids, either for research or to check for foul play.
It was probably the same with my grandfather. I think they were curious just what happened there.
I know my grandmother didn't have money for that.
0 Replies