Chronic Bad Breath - Please help

Reply Sun 13 Oct, 2013 06:46 am
I am suffering from chronic bad breath for over 20 years. I noticed that I when I touch the back of my tongue directly under my uvula, the bad breath is evident. I have a mix of very dry mouth and bad breath. I brush my teeth in the morning and I feel fine, however, every few hours my mouth becomes severely dry and the bad breath begins. I have to eat something only to relieve or moisten my mouth. I feel better by eating because it moistens my mouth, but my bad breath has not gone away. I have been to the doctor and have tried everything I possibly can. I've even tried neti pot and its definitely not my teeth or oral hygiene (those are perfect). I eat lots of greens and don't eat that much meat/protein either. All my blood tests are normal and I'm very healthy otherwise. Is it possible the uvula could be causing problems when it touches the tongue? Any treatment for this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,055 • Replies: 5
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 13 Oct, 2013 07:48 am
Bad breath can come from the sinuses, even from the stomach or from the gums.

There are many products on the market for keeping the mouth moist. I use the Biotene line of rinses and gels.

Eating ginger helps, too.

Question: Do you still have your tonsils?
Mame

Reply Sun 13 Oct, 2013 11:33 am
@breath100,
see your doctor - it's halitosis...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2013 12:44 pm
But studies show that about 80% of bad breath comes from an oral source. For instance, cavities or gum disease can lead to bad breath, as can tonsils that have trapped food particles; cracked fillings, and less-than-clean dentures.

Several internal medical conditions also can cause your breath to go downhill fast. They include diabetes, liver disease, respiratory tract infections, and chronic bronchitis. You'll want to see your doctor to rule out things like acid reflux, postnasal drip, and other causes of chronic dry mouth (xerostomia).

Woodall recalls a 30-year-old patient who had chronic bad breath, though her teeth were "immaculate" and her tongue was very clean. Her doctor tested her for acid reflux and other stomach conditions, "gave her some medicine, and her bad breath went away," Woodall says.
breath100

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2013 07:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
Thanks edgarblythe.
0 Replies

breath100

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2013 07:38 pm
@PUNKEY,
Yes I still have my tonsils. Ent doc checked everything was fine. One thing is I do have allergies and a congested nose sometimes. I even tried neti pot. Nothing seems to work
0 Replies