Subject-Verb Agreement with WHICH

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2013 11:39 am
Should "include" or "includes" be used in the following question:
Sally wants to lose weight in a healthy way. Which of the following lists include/includes ways to accomplish this?
A. Exercise, smoke cigarettes, and skip multiple meals
B. Eat low-fat meals, watch T.V., and induce vomiting after meals
C. Exercise regularly, eat well-balanced meals, and drink plenty of water throughout the day

Does the implication that there is only one correct list affect the number of the verb? For example, would I say, “Which of these cars IS mine?” if I were implying someone was giving me one car, but “Which of these cars ARE mine?” if I were implying the gift was for multiple cars?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 390 • Replies: 3
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2013 01:09 pm
which one includes . . .
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2013 01:19 pm
@sasquatchmom,
Yes, there is only one list among the three that are correct, so the question, which is a test, is in reference to a singular list, "which includes?"
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 02:43 am
@sasquatchmom,

Quote:
Does the implication that there is only one correct list affect the number of the verb? For example, would I say, “Which of these cars IS mine?” if I were implying someone was giving me one car, but “Which of these cars ARE mine?” if I were implying the gift was for multiple cars?

Yes. The question "which?" could imply one or more than one.

To be unambiguous, you could ask "which one...?" if the context does not already make it clear.
0 Replies