Howard Stern Fired By Clear Channel-Censorship Or Relief?

panzade

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 10:00 pm
Is this the start of draconian censorship? Or relief for the average American bombarded by smut?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,340 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 10:06 pm
I would have been happy if they'd done this about 15 years ago--but a knee-jerk reaction to Janet Jackson's boob worries me.

Either they have standards, or they don't.
I hate standards that change in the political wind.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 10:07 pm
I know what you're saying...seems like overkill for a boob flash
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 10:11 pm
That was just an excuse. I have not listen to him in over ten years (when he went off NBC) and even then could take him only in small amounts. But if he is still the same he probably had every right wing biddy, from Ashcroft on down. baying for his scalp. This is right wing mussel flexing.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 05:27 am
beware when they flex their mussels. Thhey get tough in the sauce.

Why doesnt anyone use the newest thing in radio technology. Its called THE KNOB.

the GOP party is the one thats about minimal govt intrusion right? all Ive seen from these guys is IN YOUR FACE meddling with our rights at every chance. whats their excuse?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 05:35 am
I happen to be a Stern fan, but even if I wasn't, I would still be disturbed by this move on the part of the government to increase censorship, largely due to a religious right-wing agenda they have just been dying to implement. I really hate the idea of the government telling me what I can and can not listen to, watch on television, etc. Incidentally, the Clearchannel firing affects only 6 markets. Stern will still continue in his other markets, unless of course, government pressure forces Viacom to buy out his contract.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 06:25 am
I've never been much of a Stern fan--but have known absolutely dedicated Stern fans. They have a right to the show, if that's what they want, and this case is siginficantly different from many other cases. Stern has millions of fans--this isn't some case of a marginally popular program, or a "cult" show. This has nothing to do with the bottom line, because, frankly, Stern attracts enough listeners to make any station manager glow with delight while she contemplates just how high she'll raise the ad rates for that slot. This is the worst sort of pandering to the political agenda by a group who are not a majority, but just well-organized loud mouths.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 09:35 am
farmerman wrote:
beware when they flex their mussels. Thhey get tough in the sauce.

Is that sauce with white wine or red?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 09:48 am
farmerman wrote:
the GOP party is the one thats about minimal govt intrusion right? all Ive seen from these guys is IN YOUR FACE meddling with our rights at every chance. whats their excuse?

Nonsense. Apparently you didn't pick up on it he was canned by ClearChannel - not the government.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 10:14 am
These days, it's hard to tell where ClearChannel stops and the government starts.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 10:26 am
John Hogan, president and chief executive of Clear Channel Radio, said the company was not willing to shoulder the "great liability" of broadcasting Stern's popular radio show.

"The Congress and (regulators) are even beginning to look at revoking station licenses," Hogan said in a statement. "That's a risk we're just not willing to take."

This is a little more serious than just being yanked outta 6 markets. The implied threat is going to make Trinity rethink its deal with him and others who don't toe the line.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 10:28 am
Oh...Eva

I didn't see your post. I agree, Clear Channel is so powerful and controling of radio these days that I can't bear to listen to radio anymore.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 01:54 pm
I'm no fan of Stern but this is a lotta political pandering and quacks just like censorship.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 03:28 pm
panzade
there's another stern/censorship thread here

incidentally, the monopoly that is clear channel also sells tickets for the majority of concerts in the US...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 05:58 pm
Oops, seems silly to have two Stern threads running at the same time...

Like rosanna danna once said...

NEVER MIND!!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 06:01 pm
Before NYC Stern was a DJ in D.C. but the morning after the Air Florida crash he called their reservation office on the air and wanted to know the price of a one way ticket to the 14th Street Bridge. He was fired that day.

It was funny in a very morbid way though.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 06:04 pm
My Dad was stalled in traffic on the bridge that day. I'm glad I was not but I had some anxious moments there.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 06:07 pm
You were there then - so was I it took me about 3 hours to drive home from downtown Alexandria to North Springfield. My former husband never did get home had to sleep in his office downtown.
0 Replies