The Big Lie.

IRFRANK

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 06:22 pm
I can understand big money and big business working for their own good. But how do they get away with using titles such as The Heritage Group, 'Voters Values', etc? Check out the following link and you can see that the shutdown we are going through was a well planned political ploy to gain some benefit for the Tea Party and their backers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/06/us/a-federal-budget-crisis-months-in-the-planning.html?pagewanted=all

It seems clear to me that these folks are working only in their own self interest, however misguided this is. Why are they so much against ObamaCare? It might cost them some money paying for employees health care and they see no benefit to themselves, since they have no problem with health care costs. Also I think they are against anything that might make Obama look good, for whatever reason.

Now, as I said, I can sort of understand people like the Koch Brothers thinking this way. I don't agree with it, but I can understand their greed. What they need is more oil subsidies, not health care costs. What I don't understand is the many middle class people who have bought into the Tea Party rhetoric, when it is not at all in their interest.

So, these folks succeeded in stopping the government for a week or so, which will cost hundreds of millions of dollars and pain to many hardworking Americans. Yet, they don't care if they can achieve a few political points from the situation. Why would anyone conclude that these people are working in the interest of the large middle of America.

I am not sure what the answer is, but I damn well can see that the Tea Party is not it.

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 06:27 pm
@IRFRANK,
because a huge chunk of America believes that the fed government is bloated and is on a out of control power kick, and those trying to deflate it are thus on our side. dont forget that for many Americans having money is not assumed to be a sin or a sign of a morality flaw, so it should be expected that some of the rich would fight for us and our kids best interest, some of the rich are good people just like some of the poor are.
IRFRANK

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 06:50 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
some of the rich are good people just like some of the poor are.

Yes, that is true. I have know a few 'rich' people that were very good people. And they did much with their wealth to help others. These Tea Party folks are not fighting in your best interests, only their own.

I think that 'huge chunk' may be smaller than you think.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 07:27 pm
@IRFRANK,
you should look at some polling numbers for citizen trust in government and opinion of government competence. you can argue if you want that the right has sold america a bill of goods with the theory that government sucks, but that is where the majority is headed.

the gathering clusterfuck of Obamacare will add to the tide.
IRFRANK

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 07:40 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
the right has sold america a bill of goods with the theory that government sucks, but that is where the majority is headed.

I'm not supporting big government. Certainly, government competence needs to be improved, drastically. What I am saying is that that is not the motive of the leaders on the Tea Party. Simple greed is it and they don't give a flying flip about improving government for the middle of the country.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 08:04 pm
@IRFRANK,
the motives for the citizens in general supporting the tea party and the rich supporting the tea part may not be the same, but they might not be exclusive either. you seem to forget that the Enlightment decided that greed should be leveraged, and capitalism depends on greed as one of its prime movers. you lay greed out and label it a turd, but you seem truely ignorant of the fact that vast swatches of America do not agree with you, nor did the men who designed the framework of this nation.
JTT

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 08:32 pm
@IRFRANK,
You think only this is The Big Lie, Frank.

WOW!

Ground control to Major Tom.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 08:36 pm
@hawkeye10,
I never said that greed is a turd. Capitalism is great in a free market. I don't mind someone getting rich by being smart or working hard. Health care is not an example of a free market. I think your vast swatches of America are diminishing as we speak.
0 Replies