How to say "Other than that" fast

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2013 01:56 pm
I know how to pronounce "th", which requires me to stick out my tongue between my front teeth. But in real conversation, I believe native speakers will do it differently. And I am trying to learn how you guys pronounce it in real conversation at a fast speed. (So the best way is I give an sentence example, instead of single word)
Thanks for Helping me
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,655 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2013 02:40 pm
@98future,

98future

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2013 04:28 pm
@Butrflynet,
I wanna know how to say "other than that": not any singe word contains th...
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2013 04:39 pm
To a native speaker, the "th" sound isn't particularly difficult to pronounce.

Don't try to speak too fast, anyway. A moderate speaking cadence is better.

What's a killer is saying, "the sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick," even at moderate speed.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2013 07:55 pm
@98future,
The video demonstrates that with the example words used. Some of the words require a soft th sound and some words require the hard buzzing th sound.

There is a 10 minute video that I found rather insulting, but I can post that for you too. It gives complete sentence examples. If you find the attitude of the speaker offensive, I apologize.

JTT

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2013 09:19 pm
@98future,
Quote:
How to say "Other than that" fast

That one is a piece of cake 'cause the tongue is set up by the 1st 'th' in 'other' so it's in position for the next two.

The way we say these faster is by reducing the tongue thrust. Instead of a big push with lots of meat [tongue], the tongue barely touches the top teeth.
Miss L Toad

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2013 09:19 pm
@98future,
Quote:
stick out my tongue between my front teeth.

I tried saying "this that and the other" but gave up after 10 minutes of solid lisping deeming it implauthible if not impothible , (although my dentist insists that the gap between my front teeth is part of my personality) then I realised that my tongue needed to be doing what this person (below) does only much dryer, thank you for the exercise, it helps the hands and thanks to you I shall poke my tongue outh with gusto and confidenth.

http://www.gravatar.com/avatar/65afe3a7b7e95a415c69c9164d8a9b81?r=R&d=identicon&s=40
0 Replies

98future

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2013 10:17 pm
@JTT,
other is also easy for me, but after "er"sound in "other", i have to take back my tongue to my mouth, then for "then" i have to stick out again, and so does'that". It would be so hard...... especially when I want to speak fast
98future

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2013 10:24 pm
@Butrflynet,
you are welcome to show me the insulting one~ I like being insulted haha
0 Replies

98future

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2013 10:25 pm
@Butrflynet,
his way of teaching is bad....speak like a robot... no one speaks like that in real life
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 09:11 am
@98future,
Quote:
other is also easy for me, but after "er"sound in "other", i have to take back my tongue to my mouth, then for "then" i have to stick out again, and so does'that". It would be so hard...... especially when I want to speak fast

'other than that'

There's no need to retract the tongue.

From your initial "I know how to pronounce "th", which requires me to stick out my tongue between my front teeth",

you may very well be sticking your tongue out much too far to make the 'th' sound. We do of course extend it further for very emphatic th's, but for most th's the tongue doesn't go past the front top teeth at all.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 11:52 am
@98future,
That's a good q, 98. See my response #….401 in

http://able2know.org/topic/224129-1
0 Replies