Dr. Rice testifies

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 07:56 am
Here's the live thread on Free Republic:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1113643/posts

There are probably around 100 people posting in there so refresh often and you should get some good info. Also WABC radio has streaming audio if your local radio station isn't carrying it:

http://www.wabcradio.com/listenlive.asp

So far she has been very impressive. A couple of points:

1. Democracies are slow to react to gathering threats. Examples, Lusitania/WWI, Germany agression/WWII, Japan aggression/Pearl Harbor.

2. She didn't hear the President tell Clarke to get any information to lay the blame on Iraq right after 9/11. I haven't heard her bash him either.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,486 • Replies: 105
No top replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 08:02 am
Quote:
Rice recounts that they took the Al Qaeda threat so seriously they kept the Clinton staff to insure continuity while their own new administration had a chance to review and revise as needed.

President saw Tenet almost every morning.

Quote:
Condi says that the September 4 National Security directive on Al Qaeda and terrorism was the FIRST national security directive of the Bush Administration...NOT missile defense, NOT Russia.

Quote:
Within one month of taking office President Bush spoke with Musharef about cracking down on the Taleban. Condi remembers a meeting that was met with a rote answer and no action was taken by them as they wished.

She brought in an expert on Afghanistan who worked in the eighties on turning back the Russian invasion.

They developed a new strategy that didn't just focus on the Northern Alliance but focused on social change within the country.

Clarke had recommended strategies--most which had been on the table but never implemented by previous administration.

Moved to arm vehicles to be used against Al Qaeda.

(some of the spelling in here is not so good)
Quote:
President Bush wanted a NEW way to deal with AQ and he told Condi that he didn't want to deal with terrorists one attack at a time and was tired of swatting at flies.

Quote:
Info did not raise issue of planes being used as weapons...did say possible planes being used for ransom

Quote:
Condi telling us about the FAA issuing five alerts to personnel including specific warnings about hijacking.

FBI issues alerts. Paid off informers. Went to 20 countries trying to find information.

She and her staff called foreign officials asking for assistanace of intelligence.

Quote:
She mentioned the legal and structural impediments to domestic info sharing pre 9-11.

Quote:
"If we learned anything from 9-11 it's that we cannot wait while dangers gather."

"President Bush has choosen the bold course".

The last was in reference to his choice to take out a small piece of Al Qaeda or go after terrorism worldwide.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 08:22 am
Streaming video feed:

http://www.tampabays10.com/news/live.asp
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 08:23 am
Quote:
Right off the questioner brings up Clarkes telliing her about Al Quaeda and mentions that mst have been new info for you,,,hahhaha,,,Condi is countering.

Quote:
Rice: this was not new info. We all knew the speculation. I myself wrote an intro on bio-terr. at Columbia. It was on the radar screen. Briefing by Clark during the transition gave us a hightened sense.

Quote:
One doesn't have the luxury of dealing with only one issue when you're the United States.

Quote:
Kean: Did you ever hear or see from any intel agency any memos or discussions that talked about using planes as bombs?

Condi: At one point I said this was a historical memo not based on new threat information because no one could have imagined them using planes as missiles. I probably should have said "I could not imagine" because the intel community did look at this and consider it but it was NEVER briefed to us.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 08:51 am
Here's a transcript of her opening statement.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 08:56 am
Quote:
Kean: Was the administration too focused on Iraq. Can you help us understand where in those early days after 9/11 the administration placed Iraq?

Condi: Let me place this in the context of where we were trying to figure out who did this. It was a reasonable questoin to ask whether Iraq was behind this considering their hostility to us.

We also wondered if Iran was behind us.

When we got to Camp David, I knew what was on the president's mind and trying to reassure the American people and get Wall Street up and running. We were concerned about air security. By the time we got to Camp David and begin to plan a response, what was rolled out on the table was Afghanistan.

That was a daunting enough task. There was a discussion of Iraq. I think it was Don Rumsfeld who raised it as this was a global war on terror.

When the President went around the table and asked his advisors what he should do, everyone said we should go to Afghanistan.

This one is pure opinion from someone who's watching it:

cajungirl wrote:
Honesty is a beautiful thing. If one is honest, one doesn't worry about questions. Neveer have I seen it more clearly in a public forum. She is clothed in honest, character and decency. Damn, I love this woman.

Quote:
Question about if there was too much emphasis on Iraq right after 9/11. Intersting...Bush asked Blair on the phone if IRAN could have been responsible...because it was such a sophisticated operation. Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz brought up Iraq at Camp David. Consensus was not to go to Iraq, but Afghanistan.
Bush told her after the Camp David meeting to get contingency plans in case Iraq acted against our interests (while we went into Afghanistan) or if it was discovered later that Iraq was involved.

Quote:
Condi: We are not going to see success on our watch. This is a generational problem. People look the other way at the absence of individual liberties and freedom in the Middle East and this has alienated us from people in the Middle East.

Personal observation - some of the questioners appear hostile.

The current questioner was trying to interrupt her and kept calling her "Doctor Clarke, Doctor Clarke." She said "I might look like Dick Clarke but I'm not." The audience laughed at that, so did the questioner.

Another guy is questioning her now. She isn't aware of many of the things he's asking about, like whether she knew that some airline fines its people if they have more than two Arab Americans being questioned at once, or whether she knew that pre-9/11 the FAA allowed four inch knives on planes.

Quote:
Ben Veniste is telling her don't bother to explain, just answer did she ever tell the pres about AQ cells in the US. I heard applause in the gallery for Ben Veniste.

I'm way behind here, the Freepers have the thread over 2000 posts already.

A little subjective here:

Quote:
Ben Veniste asking about a title of the August PDB

It was "Bin Laden threatens to attack within the U.S."

He says "thank you" in an extremely smarmy manner as if he's scored a point.

Condi has none of it, and despite his attempts to shut her up again, she proceeds to clarify it had no specifics.

Ben Veniste points to thwarting a 2000 attack. He points to evidence that cells were here.

He's acting like a prosecutor. Oily and smarmy is he.

"Isn't that so?"

Rice asks if he has some other questions. He re-reads what he's trying to make accusatory notes. Preparations were being made to do hijackings.

She will read the memo. BV grandstands that he wants it declassified and more vicious applause. Rice firmly points out emphatically that he has seen it, knew it and read it. He whines it hasn't been made public and even the title wasn't even publicly known.

Rice says it was vague (she is pointing out specifics of the vagueness) and how bin Laden likes the results of the '93 bombing and so on.

Rice says they checked if there was surveillance of buildings and found the courthouse. Rice: This was NOT a warning.

BV: If your are willing to declassify, others can make up their minds.

She just said Dick Clarke never asked her to let him brief the President on terrorism. The only thing he briefed him on was cybersecurity.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 10:05 am
Okay, she just completed her testimony. It was apparent that some of the questioners were partisan, asking either helpful questions or questions trying to get her to admit guilt or wrongdoing. I didn't hear her say anything that would make me think the President could have done anything to prevent 9/11 with the information that he had available. And she cleared up several misconceptions, especially with that August Presidential Daily Briefing (PDB) that said bin Laden wanted to attack the US. She said that wasn't a specific threat warning, just a note that he would like to attack us if he could.

I was very impressed with her as a person. She never got rattled or angry and she didn't mumble or try to weasel out of answering a question, even when her questioners were rudely interrupting her.

The Freep thread is over 2700 posts now and I have to get back to work. It's been fun!
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 10:29 am
She did an absolute awesome job! The partisan questioning was very obvious, and Vanista was suppose to be the silver bullet to bring her down.

They asked her questions that required twenty minute answers and then tried to cut her off if they didn't get the answer they wanted after 30 seconds, but she stood her ground brilliantly.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 10:37 am
I think anyone who listened with an open mind to Condi's testimony cannot fault her on either being candid or being truthful. As her testimony and statements have been 100% consistent--the one case where this could be questioned she explained today that she incorrectly used the collective 'we' instead of using "I"--there is nothing to hang her on. There is documentation, however, that Clarke has been all over the map on what he has said and this gives legitimate reason to question his memory or his veracity or both.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 10:39 am
I other words she poured ice cold water all over the Dems Witch Hunt.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 11:14 am
I'll go through the rest of that FR thread and try to post some of the more interesting ideas. Much of the chatter in there is very partisan as you might expect. The majority of it is admiring of Ms. Rice's intelligence and poise.

Quote:
For those people who were praising Bob Kerry yesterday, I'd like to hear your take now.

I wasn't praising him yesterday but I have seen him go after members of the Clinton administration with equal vigor. Notice his smirk at the end, he couldn't get the best of Condi like he did the Clinton team. I have met many educators like him, they are hostile for the purpose of testing your position.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 02:14 pm
Here's the "raw" transcript of the testimony:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,116563,00.html

Senator Kerrey called her "Dr. Clarke" several times earlier and I never even noticed it, how strange.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 02:17 pm
I noticed and thought how telling that was of who Kerrey really had on his mind and his agenda during the questioning.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 02:30 pm
One of the Freepers speculated he did it on purpose to throw her off but I think he was nervous at having a BCRW stand up to him.

BCRW

It stands for Black Conservative Republican Woman.

Quote:
>
Sorry.
What is BCRW?
>

Nice of you to ask. Black Conservative Republican Women.

Use it often. Make people ask the question. It will become established as a culturally valid thing for black women to be, and that is 5-10% carved off Kerry's monolith right there.

BCRW BCRW

I like it!
0 Replies

John Webb

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 03:20 pm
Let it never be forgotten that, whatever their complexion, lying convincingly comes naturally to almost all senior administration politicians. Sad

In fact, the last honest politician was probably George Washington.
Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 03:32 pm
John Webb wrote:
...lying convincingly comes naturally to almost all senior administration politicians. Sad ...

How many senior administration politicians are there? Are you talking about dozens of people, hundreds, thousands? When you say almost all, are you suggesting, 95%, 99%? Have you really investigated all of these people? Or are you just making another false statement?
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 04:00 pm
Brand X wrote:
I other words she poured ice cold water all over the Dems Witch Hunt.

Three cheers for ice cold water! Cool
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 04:46 pm
"I don't recall if I told President Bush"
"I don't recall if I told President Bush" was one of the biggest evasions of truth telling I heard during Condi Rice's testimony. She couldn't lie under oath, she just couldn't remember. Rascals through the years have used the excuse I don't recall or remember to avoid lying about something they did or didn't do.

The most interesting tactic I saw during her testimony was Rice's skillful filibustering of the time allotted to questioners. When asked a question she wanted to evade, she just kept her motor mouth running, ignoring the questioner's insistence that she answer the specific question and prattling on. It was a successful tactic in squandering Democrat commissioner questioner's time and limiting them to far fewer questions than they wanted to ask. I was amazed and disappointed that the panel let her get away with it.

Condi Rice went beyond answering questions and appeared to deliberately use up the time to limit the questioning time. Hence my use of "motor mouth" was an accurate description of the old tried and true tactic she used. You could tell the questioners were frustrated and annoyed with her scheme to squander their 10 minute question time. It was a smart tactic, but did nothing to add to the commission's knowledge of what happened.

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 04:51 pm
Transcript of Condi Rice's testimony
Transcript of Condi Rice's testimony:

http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_story/0,3566,116563,00.html
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 04:55 pm
Re: Dr. Rice testifies
Tarantulas wrote:
2. She didn't hear the President tell Clarke to get any information to lay the blame on Iraq right after 9/11.

Almost. She said she "didn't remember" whether he did or not. So we have one eye-witness saying he did, and another saying she can't remember whether he did. Basically, she didn't deny what has been an important allegation.

But the best part must, I'm sure, have been this gem:

Quote:
Condoleezza Rice: "I believe the title [of the August 6 PDB] was "Bin Laden determined to attack inside the United States". [..] It did not warn against attacks inside the United States."

Kinda like, I voted for it, before I voted against it ...
0 Replies