Are frogs'legs healthy?

dlowan

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 12:30 pm
@farmerman,
I get weepy, yes. Won't eat caged chicken or eggs.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 12:53 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Poles are ethnic? Who knew?

I thought that Poles were generally white, anyhow, but what do I know? Do you have a kind of "dark white" classification in America? (I know they do in Australia, where darker Greeks, Spanish and Italians are called "wogs").

Rockhead

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 01:04 pm
@contrex,
do they serve frog's legs in France, or is that in bad taste too close to the bone?

(I know you are hiding out in Spain now, but you played french long enough to know...)
contrex

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 01:14 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

do they serve frog's legs in France, or is that in bad taste too close to the bone?

6.20 euros (500 gramme bag)

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aahv_prd/on/demandware.static/Sites-picard-Site/Sites-catalog-picard/default/v1380627389383/produits/poissons-crustaces/pack/000000000000000701_P.png

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 01:16 pm
@contrex,
In the US, it became very PC to eschew terms like "Polack" or "Dago", so such jokes were retitled "Ethnic humor"
Ethnics only mean a clearly identifiable sub- haplotype.
roger

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 01:28 pm
@farmerman,
So, these two ethnicans were fishing from a small boat. One, from a race somewhere in Asia known for being clever and intelligent caught the first fish. He held it with both hands while gazing deeply into the fish's eyes, and soon the fish's eyes developed a distinctive slant. The Ethnican from Eastern Europe and not noted for powerful mental abilities asked how he did that. The Asian Ethnican explained it was just a matter of which had the stronger mind. Soon, the other Ethnican caught a fish and tried the same trick. Very soon, the Eastern European Ethnican's mouth started opening and closing - much like a fish out of water.

Howzat for PC?
contrex

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 01:48 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
much like a fish out of water.

Surely a superfluous piece of explanation? Or, being PC, are you making the joke accessible to the learning-disabled?

When I first heard that joke it was about a gorilla, an Englishman, and an Irishman who ends up eating a lot of bananas.

farmerman

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 02:59 pm
@contrex,
English and Irish are both designated as "Y chromosome haplogroup--R1-b" (ALL jokesworthy haplogroups are of the four Indo-European haplogroups (Y chromosome "adam", not mitochondrial DNA "eve"). ALL Europeans would be within one mitochondrial DNA haplogroup classed as "H"
So genetics and ethnic humor come together quite handily as a "guy thing"
See Spencer Wells' or Francis Collins' stuff on these distinctions

I still haven't found a distinction for a haplogroup designated as "Newfie"

contrex

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 03:13 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I still haven't found a distinction for a haplogroup designated as "Newfie"

An alien spaceship lands in Newfoundland and is approached by a Newfie farmer who wishes to welcome the visitors. "Hello!" he shouts and waves his arms as he goes. The aliens are made nervous by this and the captain tells the ray gunner to fire a warning shot over the creature's head. The Newfie still keeps coming. "Hello! Hello!" Soon he is quite close and the alien captain tells the gunner to shoot lower. This time the Newfie's head is shot clean away, and still he keeps coming. "Bonjour!" he shouts.

farmerman

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 03:50 pm
@contrex,
Thatl take me an extra half hour to get
Setanta

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 03:54 pm
@farmerman,
People unfamiliar with the CBC won't get that joke.
contrex

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 04:07 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

People unfamiliar with the CBC won't get that joke.

here's one I didn't get, from a booklet called "Canadian Jokes" that I found in a bunch of stuff from a house clearance when a relative passed away:

At a rural church service, the pastor decides to demonstrate to the assembled faithful how we are all in our different ways, sinners. "Stand up all those who have coveted their neighbour's goods!" he calls. A number of people stand up. Likewise for lying, stealing, etc. Last of all he says "Has anyone slandered their wife?". One guy stands up sheepishly. "When did you slander your wife?" asks the priest. "Oh, sorry, Father", the guy answers. "I thought you said 'slatter'".

Maybe a Canadian could explain?

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 11:41 am
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 01:43 pm
Frog legs are only healthy if they get enough exercise.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 01:49 pm
@ossobuco,
vonny

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 02:09 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Frog legs are only healthy if they get enough exercise.

Like lots of frog marching! Laughing
maxdancona

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 02:20 pm
@contrex,
There was a time (in my adolescence) when Poles were the butt of most ethnic jokes. I was surprised to find out that my teenaged kids don't even know what a Polish joke is.

Somehow Poles became unremarkable in the late 1980s.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 02:22 pm
@vonny,
I didn't think that far, v.good.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 02:24 pm
@tsarstepan,
I can't see it, what was the gist?
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 11:04 pm
@ossobuco,
It's just the old bada bing drum roll used to indicate a cheesy joke used on late night TV such as Johnny Carson.