help me find a job:)

possopo

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 07:45 am
allright, i'm quite old and never really worked (ok, i once owned a small business but it never really prospered). my main assets are my knowledge in english (fluent), spanish (fluent but need some oral practice), german and russian ( i can fairly read and write these languages with a good dictionary). i also have a major in accounting but i hate accounting so no, thank you!!

do you guys have an idea what i could do? of course, i'd like to work with these languages:)

oh, i almost forgot, i know french too (well, i'm french, that helps a lot;)).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,080 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 07:50 am
Can't say I've got any knowledge of the area but with 5 languages, I'm sure there must be something out there. Maybe something in the travel industry?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 07:54 am
You can become a court translator. The hourly rates are (or used to be, when I was practicing) pretty lucrative. You will probably need to take some sort of a class(es) to brush up on the meaning and translation of certain legal and medical terms, and it's possible that you'd need some sort of a certificate. You can translate either in court or at depositions.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 12:34 pm
Not to be unfriendly but: is this really the good place to search for a job possopo?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 12:36 pm
He is asking for advice. This seems appropriate to me.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 12:40 pm
Maybe you might think of trying to be a tutor to Spanish-speaking people who want to learn English. The pay is not great, but it's honest work. My advice regarding languages is to not attempt to use one you are not fluent in as an asset.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 12:54 pm
Ok ebrown, but I think you can achieve more by asking this to a real - how do you call it - consultant than to people here on the Internet.
0 Replies

possopo

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 02:24 pm
Rick d'Israeli wrote:
Quote:
Ok ebrown, but I think you can achieve more by asking this to a real - how do you call it - consultant than to people here on the Internet.

consultants here in france are, as far as i know, very expensive or totally unskilled (anpe).
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 02:37 pm
EU spends 11% of its budget just on translations and interpreting. With the expansion people like you must be in demand, I'd imagine. Brussels is around the corner. Try to ask at the EU commission in France, maybe? Also, the traveling gig might be fun. You can accompany tourists in France, or take it to the international arena as a guide. I think I would like that myself!
0 Replies

possopo

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 03:58 pm
the thing is i'm not bilingual in any of these languages, except for french of course. for instance, my english is good but not perfect and intepreters need to be perfectly bilingual. my real asset is my knowledge (but not total knowledge) in 5 languages.
0 Replies