russian

possopo

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 07:27 am
who thinks russian has a future as far as job opportunities?

hopefully the increase of the price of oil and other raw materials will boost russian economy quite a bit but this really is the only good news. aids, mortality, the tendency of old soviet satellites (georgia, all the eastern europe block...) to distract themselves from moscow, the eu... are major factors that are, in my opinion, going to contribute to the isolation of russia. the country is opening up but not very fast, the growth exists but is not big enough...

these thoughts lead me to think that russian is losing importance in the business world and that the outcome is not really bright. does anyone think otherwise?

---please tell me english is not going to kill other languages---
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,541 • Replies: 10
No top replies

L R R Hood

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 06:34 pm
I definately think that it has a future. There are too many natural resources in Russia for it not to.

I don't think English will kill other languages, at least I hope it won't. I think that more American schools are trying to teach young children other languages... and my kids will definately learn Russian.
0 Replies

possopo

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 01:30 am
but you're just another person who left russia because of a catastrophic economic situation (or political maybe) so with you, russia lost another 80kilos of vitality and education.

(i'm just presuming here since of course i have no idea who you are but i guess you know what i mean:))
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 05:12 am
I'm an American who is fluent in Russian.
0 Replies

possopo

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 03:41 pm
you're fluent in russian and you don't have any russian descent?
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 06:35 am
That's right. I was trained in the military.
0 Replies

possopo

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 01:54 pm
that's great:)))

i hope i'll be fluent in russian someday.
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 01:59 pm
Re: russian
possopo wrote:
who thinks russian has a future as far as job opportunities?
---

Russian has a hell of a future, with or without job opportunities. Russian has real indoeuropean grammar and hence it's possible to write real poetry in Russian. Russian literature generally relates to ours about the same way our economy relates to theirs, i.e. it dwarfs it.
0 Replies

Kaunas

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 11:06 am
I can translate in to Russian Mr. Green
0 Replies

jennyfer

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 02:34 pm
I'm from Russia and I think that Russian language is graet languege. It's powerful and full of emotions and fillings. And I can say that Russian language is easy in studying than English because I study English. Exclamation
0 Replies

Flaminius

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 10:34 pm
Hello,

I am studying phonetic changes of German words when they are exported to other languages. If anybody could tell what changes occur to German loan words in Russian? I am already aware that some /h/s become [g]s,
as in Haushofer --->Gausgofer.

Also, what would happen to German characteristic guttural consonants (ich-laut and ach-laut)? Does Russian replicate those sounds exactly like in German?
0 Replies