Sect says first cloned baby due soon

au1929

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 06:48 pm
MONTREAL, Dec. 19 — A Canadian cult that believes in free love and that life on earth was created by extra terrestrials said it could deliver the world’s first cloned baby on Christmas day. But the announcement by the Quebec-based Raelians sect was greeted Thursday with anger and skepticism from experts in the field
This is only one of the several groups claiming to be in the process of delivering a cloned baby. I can only ask why would anyone want to clone a baby. Shocked
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,268 • Replies: 7
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 07:58 pm
spare parts?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 08:10 pm
I question as to whether this group has the wherewithal to produce a cloned baby.

There are many ethical problems to be worked out, but personally, I see nothing intrinsically wrong with cloning.

My mother always said that I should have a half dozen kids, just like me. Twisted Evil Maybe someday, she could have her wish granted!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 09:06 pm
It seems cruel to me since no cloned animal has yet to survive but then again if the Shakers could have had access to cloning they would not have died out due to their strict rules agains sexual activity.
0 Replies

Thinkzinc

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 08:31 pm
Why would anyone want to clone a baby?
To me, the answer is - for a power trip. To become the first to clone a human, and to have their name forever remembered, in the same way that Dolly the Sheep and the Roslin Institute are etched in our memories for producing the first cloned animal.
The health dangers cannot be known. The psychological implications for the child are huge.
I hope that the sceptics are right and that the clone claims are false!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 11:01 am
I usually try to be open-minded, but this group is beyond weird, as is their spokesperson. The NY Times has a good article today on the TV expert who's been chosen to investigate their claim. As you'll note, Michael Guillen, the reporter, was chosen for a very good reason....

http://nytimes.com/2002/12/30/national/30REPO.html
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 02:25 pm
D'artagnan, I try to be open-minded also. But ever since I heard about this group, I've been skeptical. When I heard that an independent news reporter with the credentials of Guillen had been given the okay to investigate, I began to think maybe the Raelians had honestly cloned a human. It was a scary thought to me. I think Guillen should be scrutinized as closely as the DNA in this case will be. And I have a feeling he will be. Thanks for the very informative link!
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 03:10 am
I think that the rationale behind cloning is that
certain qualities (very high intelligence, really
exceptionally good health, for example) can be cloned,
leaving the world with, for example, more Einstein like
individuals and/or masses of more healthy people.
There are a whole world of possibilities involved in cloning,
some of them may be great and some horrible. But, it IS
a fact that this is something scientists are racing towards.
The ethical considerations surrounding this topic are
naturally very complex, to say the very least.
0 Replies